SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who makes P365 magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes P365 magazines? Login/Join 
Picture of iron chef
posted
Up to now, it was my understanding that Checkmate makes/made P365 mags under contract for SIG. Today I checked out a brand new P365 at the store and notice its mag was stamped "Made in Italy". Does Mec-Gar make P365 mags now? If so, does that mean we can expect aftermarket P365-compatible Mec-Gar mags in the near future?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They look like Mec-Gar to me with a deeper shine and darker black oxide finish. I have all USA made P365 mags and was surprised to see the Italy mark more recently. Could possibly be Act-Mag since they are in Italy too but I don't know how to be sure either way.

On the other hand, all of my P320 mags are Made in Italy and every one I bought or ordered until recently was the same. Now everything I see in stores is made in USA by Checkmate.

Really would be nice of Sig was consistent on things. I always prefer Mec Gar OEM Sig mags if I can get them.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to be consistent when demand overwhelms supply, and when some entire countries shut down production.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
In order to find the definite answer, I contacted Mec-Gar. What I received in response was, well, definitely not definite. Roll Eyes

Q: I see SIG Sauer now selling factory P365 magazines "Made In Italy". Am I correct in assuming that they are manufactured by Mec-Gar like so many other "Made In Italy" OEM SIG magazines?

A: It may be made by Mec-Gar Italy. We don’t really have anything to do with their OEM manufacturing.

"May be"? What the hell kind of an answer is that? I know they're Mec-Gar USA HQ, but they should damn well know what their Italian manufacturing plant is making.

Q

Posts: 26389 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
What a disappointing and nonsensical answer from the world's foremost manufacturer of handgun magazines.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Mec-gar Italy's website didn't show them. But, because SIG has a patent on them, I imagine they can't sell them directly, if indeed they are making them.
https://www.mec-gar.it/products/

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
In order to find the definite answer, I contacted Mec-Gar. What I received in response was, well, definitely not definite. Roll Eyes

Q: I see SIG Sauer now selling factory P365 magazines "Made In Italy". Am I correct in assuming that they are manufactured by Mec-Gar like so many other "Made In Italy" OEM SIG magazines?

A: It may be made by Mec-Gar Italy. We don’t really have anything to do with their OEM manufacturing.

"May be"? What the hell kind of an answer is that? I know they're Mec-Gar USA HQ, but they should damn well know what their Italian manufacturing plant is making.

Can't speak for certain about Mec-Gar's US operations, but there have been times and matters where HK USA was left in the dark by management at HK Germany.

Mec-Gar's operations here is likely primarily responsible for the company's aftermarket sales. I'm guessing that if a gun maker is wanting to subcontract work to Mec-Gar, they'll be mostly conversing and scheduling with the actual people at the factory, and maybe a small handful of production/sales "experts" that are stationed over here. The average M-G CS guy likely wouldn't be privy to such inner workings, because a customer of a problematic OEM mag would be going back to the gun maker and not to Mec-Gar, USA or otherwise. At least that's my guess.

-MG

Posts: 1992 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i can almost guarantee the the sig contract to
make factory oem mags prohibits acknowledgement of that fact.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Actually, Mec-Gar USA does know what Mec-Gar Italy is doing. I previously had question about their 229-1 mag (SIG factory 15-rounder vs aftermarket 17-rounder). Sent an inquiry, and got a straight answer, and they further explained why they're not allowed to make the aftermarket 15-rounder.

Q

Posts: 26389 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then perhaps the lawsuit has something to do with their response to you. Especially if M-G make the mags for the MAX-9. And maybe even the ones for the Shield Plus though the throat of that mag is shaped quite differently from the P365's, though I admit I'm not versed on what exactly SIG found patentable with the P365 mag design.

-MG

Posts: 1992 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post