SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 8 rnd. magazines only hold 7?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 8 rnd. magazines only hold 7? Login/Join 
Picture of Greymann
posted
I've got a few P220 8 round mags from sig that will only hold 7. Now that I joined this forum I was hoping somebody knows why. They show number 8 on the magazines by one of magazine holes. The packaging said 8rnd, Sig rep on the phone thought the spring in mag. was too stiff from being new,seems like she didn't know.Any ideas?

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Ok Thanks

Posts: 1538 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you posted photos of the springs, followers, and inserts, it would be possible to be certain there was nothing wrong. It’s also important to check that the springs and followers are assembled correctly. This is a complaint that surfaces from time to time, though, and the usual solution if there are no parts or assembly errors: put eight rounds in. Yes, it’s tough, but it can be done.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Thank-you I'll post some pictures

Picture of AK
posted Hide Post
I just purchased two brand new (Sig brand) 8 round mags for my P220 and I had the same issue. I disassembled and then reassembled them making sure that the top of the mag spring was properly seated in the follower. Both mags were then able to be loaded to 8 rounds.

Two rules in a gunfight.
#1. Someone is going to lose.
#2. I'm going to win.

Posts: 511 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a p220, each of the 3 magazines gets extremely stiff after the 5th round is loaded. It becomes impossible to load them by hand; I need to use a tool to push the 7th round far enough to get the 8th round in there. Is anyone else having this problem? I already disassembled all mags, cleaned the mag tube, added some oil to springs, made sure everything was seated correctly, etc but am still experiencing very very stiff spring after the 5th round.

mi45acp

Posts: 72 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mipistola45:
I recently acquired a p220, each of the 3 magazines gets extremely stiff after the 5th round is loaded. It becomes impossible to load them by hand; I need to use a tool to push the 7th round far enough to get the 8th round in there. Is anyone else having this problem? I already disassembled all mags, cleaned the mag tube, added some oil to springs, made sure everything was seated correctly, etc but am still experiencing very very stiff spring after the 5th round.

I had a similar issue with my P226 back in the early 2000's at that time my 12-13 year old Son was at the range with me and he took/showed me a different approach.

He laid the round(s) that wouldn't go in on the wooden bench (though this will work if you have a mat or something that won't allow the round to slip around).

He then turned the magazine upside down and pushed down on the mag to start the round, he then pushed the mag forward to slide the round in/seat it. We used this method a number of times and left the stubborn magazines sit as well when we got home... they eventually loosened up & in the future we were able to load them without issues.

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 221 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toxophilus84:
my 12-13 year old Son was at the range with me and he took/showed me a different approach.

Very clever. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47360 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post