SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Tool To Aid In Field-Stripping A 1911 Without A Barrel Bushing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool To Aid In Field-Stripping A 1911 Without A Barrel Bushing? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Both my Colt Defender and Springfield EMP are barrel-bushing-less 1911 designs. This makes take-down, and particularly re-assembly, difficult. My hands aren't as strong as they once were, nor is my manual dexterity what it once was.

I can do it, but it's a challenge.

I'm wondering if anybody makes a jig or tool that can be employed to hold the slide back against the recoil spring to aid in this?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...005701386?pid=213581

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chris, but that little hole doesn't appear to exist in the spring assembly for the EMP. (Or the Defender?)

Found there are 1911 Ultra Tool take-down tools for both the Colt Defender and Springfield EMP, though. They're kind of spendy, but, if they end the wrestling match with the slide, they'll be worth it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had an EMP for a while, and I could have sworn it had a hole in the guide rod.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
My wife had an EMP for a while, and I could have sworn it had a hole in the guide rod.

<dons a pair of readers, turns lights up, grabs EMP, locks slide back, looks closely...>

Not that I can see.

posted Hide Post
Ah...the EMP4 has the hole. The standard EMP uses a short piece of plastic that snaps over the guide rod. I might have one of these lying around if you'd like it.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah...the EMP4 has the hole. The standard EMP uses a short piece of plastic that snaps over the guide rod. I might have one of these lying around if you'd like it.

Heh... "RTFM, ensigmatic." Looked in the box. I already have that little piece of plastic.

I betcha a similar little piece of half-round plastic will work on my Defender, too.

Thanks for the offer, though, Chris! And the help Smile

posted Hide Post
It's small and black and kinda hard to find in that big ol' box Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's small and black and kinda hard to find in that big ol' box Big Grin

Yeah... yeah, that's what happened

posted Hide Post
Would someone post a picture and dimensions of the take down tool.

Thanks in advance for the help

Posts: 26 | Location: California | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll try to do that tomorrow, though I didn't find that little plastic "tool" very handy.

I bought a 1911 Ultra Tool 1911 Universal Pro Tool for Bull Barrel Dual Spring Full Length Guide Rod. It should work for both my EMP and my Colt Defender, and should work better than the little plastic "tool" that came with my EMP.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sndbggr1484:
Would someone post a picture and dimensions of the take down tool.

Thanks in advance for the help

Sorry, I keep forgetting to do this for you.

I've got the part sitting on my desk, now, so I won't forget again. But it won't be until sometime next week, as I'm just about to pack up the Jeep and head up north for the weekend.

Update on the 1911 Ultra Tool 1911 Universal Pro Tool for Bull Barrel Dual Spring Full Length Guide Rod

Admittedly, it's kind of spendy, but, to me, it was worth every penny. I just took my Springfield EMP down for cleaning last night. With this tool it was a piece of cake getting it apart and back together again. No more battling that recoil assembly with one hand while trying to align the slide catch lever with the other.

It's a lot better than the little plastic "tool" Springfield included with my EMP.

I cannot recommend this little tool too highly.

posted Hide Post
No hurry. Thanks for all your help. That tool is a bit pricy but not out of reach for something that helps.

Posts: 26 | Location: California | Registered: September 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
They make less expensive tools that are single-pistol and made of Delrin or something. The one I bought will work also on my Colt Defender.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Here ya go, sndbggr1484. Sorry for the delay, but better late than never, eh?

Length: 0.664 in.
Diameter, outer: 0.395 in.
Diameter, inner: 0.183 in.

If you look closely, you'll see that it's just slightly C-shaped in cross-section, so it'll snap on and off the exposed guide rod.

It's kind of a PITA to get off. One of the things that makes the tool I note, above, so much easier. (It uses a small magnet to hold it in place when there's no recoil spring pressure on it.)

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the picture but you might be right that the one in the link you listed would be the better way to go even with the cost.

Thanks again

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
You're quite welcome Smile

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My EMP came without the guide rod spring tool (bought second-hand). I was unaware that such a thing existed. My response was to make my own from a plastic ballpoint pen barrel, cut a groove about a 1/4" from the wide end to slip over the head of the guide rod with the spring compressed. The length of the pen barrel gives a nice handle to the guide rod+spring assembly and makes removal a piece of cake. If I can find it in my junk drawer, I'll try to post a pic. I didn't store it someplace special because I don't take down the EMP that often, and it is easy enough to make another should I need one.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post