SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Tool To Aid In Field-Stripping A 1911 Without A Barrel Bushing?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tool To Aid In Field-Stripping A 1911 Without A Barrel Bushing? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Both my Colt Defender and Springfield EMP are barrel-bushing-less 1911 designs. This makes take-down, and particularly re-assembly, difficult. My hands aren't as strong as they once were, nor is my manual dexterity what it once was.

I can do it, but it's a challenge.

I'm wondering if anybody makes a jig or tool that can be employed to hold the slide back against the recoil spring to aid in this?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me

Posts: 20896 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...005701386?pid=213581

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8543 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chris, but that little hole doesn't appear to exist in the spring assembly for the EMP. (Or the Defender?)

Found there are 1911 Ultra Tool take-down tools for both the Colt Defender and Springfield EMP, though. They're kind of spendy, but, if they end the wrestling match with the slide, they'll be worth it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me

Posts: 20896 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had an EMP for a while, and I could have sworn it had a hole in the guide rod.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8543 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
My wife had an EMP for a while, and I could have sworn it had a hole in the guide rod.

<dons a pair of readers, turns lights up, grabs EMP, locks slide back, looks closely...>

Not that I can see.

posted Hide Post
Ah...the EMP4 has the hole. The standard EMP uses a short piece of plastic that snaps over the guide rod. I might have one of these lying around if you'd like it.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah...the EMP4 has the hole. The standard EMP uses a short piece of plastic that snaps over the guide rod. I might have one of these lying around if you'd like it.

Heh... "RTFM, ensigmatic." Looked in the box. I already have that little piece of plastic.

I betcha a similar little piece of half-round plastic will work on my Defender, too.

Thanks for the offer, though, Chris! And the help Smile

posted Hide Post
It's small and black and kinda hard to find in that big ol' box Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's small and black and kinda hard to find in that big ol' box Big Grin

Yeah... yeah, that's what happened