SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Hammer strut removal and installation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer strut removal and installation? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Is there an easier way to remove and re-install the hammer strut on a P series pistol. Specifically the P239.

After several hours this weekend I realized I was not positioning it right.... I now know how to do that but getting the damn thing off and back in that little slot on the bottom of the grip is a real pain.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Grayguns used to make a metal replacement for the plastic mainspring base. I have it on my P226. It is much easier to install/uninstall, but I'm not sure they make them anymore.

There are other aftermarket versions that are made of metal and have larger (or round) slots in the bottom.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Y'all both mentioned 'plastic main spring base'. I'm pretty darn sure I'm not dealing with anything plastic with this... where and how do I find this Sig armorers tool?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
There was a discussion about the tool several months ago.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5220098105/p/1

I don’t think they are available any more. Might find one on eBay.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
https://store.fixitsticks.com/...oolkit-for-sig-sauer
Its exspensive but

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta ask the obvious…is your hammer de-cocked? I always used a flat head screwdriver to remove and install. Good luck!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
For proper positioning of the strut, I place it "up there", without the spring on it, and tilt the upper end of it towards the back of the pistol. You can then "thumb" the hammer back and forth and the strut will move up and down to show it is engaged properly with the hammer. When correct, slip the spring on the lower strut end (assuming you are not using one of the older pinned on spring struts), and use a small screwdriver end, or your thumb, to push the seat up into position.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post