SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Colorado members.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado members. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I had entertained a pistol caliber conversion at some point. Just came from the LGS. My rifle is on order.

Posts: 7645 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Can't provide a link right now but the Colorado Sun is reporting the ban bill is being shelved.

Posts: 7645 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
They ran out of time as the legislative session ends on Wednesday. Expect to see a new bill early next session.

Attempt to ban 'assault weapons' in Colorado fails for second consecutive year

Link

The bill attempting to ban the purchase of a long list of so-called "assault weapons" has failed for the second consecutive year.

House Bill 1292 was expected to be heard this week in the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee, but its sponsor, Sen. Julie Gonzales, D-Denver, announced Monday that she would ask the committee to end it.

"I intend to request that the Senate State Veterans and Military Affairs committee postpone indefinitely HB24-1292, the assault weapons ban, on May 7, 2024," Gonzales said in a statement. "That being said, I couldn’t be prouder of my colleagues in the House of Representatives for passing an assault weapons ban for the first time in Colorado history."

Gonzales added that "after thoughtful conversations with my Senate colleagues, I decided that more conversations need to take place outside of the pressure cooker of the Capitol during the last weeks of the legislative session. In that spirit, I look forward to renewing and continuing those discussions over the interim. It is clear that survivors of devastating gun violence, responsible gun owners, and local and national policy advocates remain committed to doing the work necessary to save lives — and an assault weapons ban will do just that."

Progressive Democrats have tried for two years to ban a variety of weapons, with the common thread being anything detachable, which raised concerns that the law might apply to more than just "assault weapons."

The 2023 version never made it out of its first committee hearing.

The list of weapons that could not be purchased in Colorado under HB 1292 included:

• A semiautomatic rifle that can accept a detachable magazine;

• AK and AR-type weapons, either rifles or pistols, including AK47, AK47S, AK-74, Bushmasters, certain Remingle and Smith & Wesson rifles; and others with detachable magazines;

• Semiautomatic rifles, pistols or shotguns that can accept or be modified to accept a fixed large-capacity magazine;

The bill won approval from the House on a 35-27 vote on April 14 but has since been waiting for its trip through the Senate ever, a sign that it might have struggled to get through the more moderate Senate.

The bill's first stop in the Senate, the state affairs committee, is where it could have run into trouble, given the swing vote would likely be from Sen. Tom Sullivan, D-Centennial. While Sullivan has been a strong advocate for gun control, he has been skeptical about whether a ban would work.

The bigger obstacle for the measure, however, was likely from the governor, who had said he was skeptical that a ban would work, given that people could just drive across the border to Wyoming to purchase those weapons. He also advocated for a federal solution, one that he sponsored when he was in Congress.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5792 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Take that, mrgunsngear!

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Linky.

https://coloradosun.com/2024/0...ons-bill-fails-2024/

This thing seems to make it a little farther each time. And, you're right. This thing will be back front and center early next year.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Take that, mrgunsngear!

Yep, getting called out.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
This bill didn't make it out of the Senate Committee and look how it's being reported as "historic progress." Horse shit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...vN?OCID=ansmsnnews11