SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Constitutional/Permitless Carry in North Dakota
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Constitutional/Permitless Carry in North Dakota Login/Join 
Picture of JPD217
posted
The Constitutional/Permitless Carry bill has passed both House and Senate and has been sent to Governor Burgum. From what I've heard, he is expected to sign it into law.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Great news.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he does that sounds great.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Sweet. I love how this continues to spread like concealed carry did.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
Update: signed into law March 23, takes effect Aug. 1

Governor Doug Burgum today signed legislation allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed handgun if they have possessed a valid North Dakota driver’s license or state ID card for at least a year.

The “constitutional carry” authority provided under House Bill 1169 applies only within North Dakota’s borders. Those wanting concealed carry reciprocity with other states must apply for a Class 1 or Class 2 North Dakota concealed weapon license, for which the requirements remain unchanged.

Current law only requires an applicant for a Class 2 license to complete an open-book test, at a cost of up to $50, and undergo a criminal history records check. Class 1 licenses require firearms training and additional requirements. Both licenses carry a $60 application fee.

Under HB 1169, anyone who is eligible to possess a Class 2 firearm license and has had a valid driver’s license or state ID card for at least a year may carry a concealed firearm. Law enforcement officials recommended the state ID language, as well as the bill’s requirement that anyone carrying a concealed weapon inform law enforcement of the weapon during a traffic stop or other contact.

Someone who has been convicted of a felony or crime of violence will still be precluded from carrying a handgun under this new law. Individuals who initiate the purchase of a handgun from a federally licensed dealer are still required to undergo a federal background check, which runs their name and descriptive information through three national databases.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Query: If it is truly "constitutional" carry, why is a statute needed?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Query: If it is truly "constitutional" carry, why is a statute needed?

Now that's a good question. Perhaps they should just call it Permitless Carry.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
yep..no permit but you still need a state DL or ID and 6 months residence.

But I'll take it. I am guessing I will still renew my permit for out of state carry

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
yep..no permit but you still need a state DL or ID and 6 months residence.

But I'll take it. I am guessing I will still renew my permit for out of state carry
The other info posted says one year, not 6 months. Is there are link to the statute someone could provide?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
The Constitutional/Permitless Carry bill has passed both House and Senate and has been sent to Governor Burgum. From what I've heard, he is expected to sign it into law.

Congratulations! We just went through this in NH last month...it took many tries and hard working legislators and senators but the thing that really helped it was finally a Republican governor was voted in.

Posts: 7 | Location: South Central Missouri | Registered: March 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post