SIGforum
Constitutional/Permitless Carry in North Dakota

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/140601935/m/3760024124

March 22, 2017, 07:31 AM
JPD217
Constitutional/Permitless Carry in North Dakota
The Constitutional/Permitless Carry bill has passed both House and Senate and has been sent to Governor Burgum. From what I've heard, he is expected to sign it into law.
March 22, 2017, 08:32 AM
Appliance Brad
Great news.

March 22, 2017, 08:38 PM
PCWyoming
If he does that sounds great.

PC
March 23, 2017, 07:59 AM
flesheatingvirus
Sweet. I love how this continues to spread like concealed carry did.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
March 23, 2017, 06:09 PM
GWbiker
Outstanding.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".
March 24, 2017, 11:13 AM
JPD217
Update: signed into law March 23, takes effect Aug. 1

Governor Doug Burgum today signed legislation allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed handgun if they have possessed a valid North Dakota driver’s license or state ID card for at least a year.

The “constitutional carry” authority provided under House Bill 1169 applies only within North Dakota’s borders. Those wanting concealed carry reciprocity with other states must apply for a Class 1 or Class 2 North Dakota concealed weapon license, for which the requirements remain unchanged.

Current law only requires an applicant for a Class 2 license to complete an open-book test, at a cost of up to $50, and undergo a criminal history records check. Class 1 licenses require firearms training and additional requirements. Both licenses carry a $60 application fee.

Under HB 1169, anyone who is eligible to possess a Class 2 firearm license and has had a valid driver’s license or state ID card for at least a year may carry a concealed firearm. Law enforcement officials recommended the state ID language, as well as the bill’s requirement that anyone carrying a concealed weapon inform law enforcement of the weapon during a traffic stop or other contact.

Someone who has been convicted of a felony or crime of violence will still be precluded from carrying a handgun under this new law. Individuals who initiate the purchase of a handgun from a federally licensed dealer are still required to undergo a federal background check, which runs their name and descriptive information through three national databases.
March 24, 2017, 05:53 PM
jhe888
Query: If it is truly "constitutional" carry, why is a statute needed?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 24, 2017, 06:27 PM
JPD217
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Query: If it is truly "constitutional" carry, why is a statute needed?

Now that's a good question. Perhaps they should just call it Permitless Carry.
March 25, 2017, 10:03 PM
Ronin101
yep..no permit but you still need a state DL or ID and 6 months residence.

But I'll take it. I am guessing I will still renew my permit for out of state carry
March 27, 2017, 09:05 AM
DMF
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
yep..no permit but you still need a state DL or ID and 6 months residence.

But I'll take it. I am guessing I will still renew my permit for out of state carry
The other info posted says one year, not 6 months. Is there are link to the statute someone could provide?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
March 28, 2017, 08:56 PM
NHnative
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
The Constitutional/Permitless Carry bill has passed both House and Senate and has been sent to Governor Burgum. From what I've heard, he is expected to sign it into law.

Congratulations! We just went through this in NH last month...it took many tries and hard working legislators and senators but the thing that really helped it was finally a Republican governor was voted in.
April 01, 2017, 07:59 PM
Ronin101
I was wrong it was a year

https://www.governor.nd.gov/ne...ry%e2%80%9d-bill-law