SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Omega Seamaster 300m Co-Axial Ceramic 41mm

A very long story behind this watch. Very expensive too.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
16710 Z serial GMT with red/black "Coke" bezel:

Current configuration with jubilee band:

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Awesome Coke man! Awesome! One of the few I regret having sold.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:
16710 Z serial GMT with red/black "Coke" bezel...

I like it!

Since the bezel is red and black, that must be Coke Zero. ;-)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't worn a watch in a long time but this thread got me to thinking about one I used to own. IIRC, it was 1985, I was in the 5th grade and I wanted a Swatch Techno Sphere really bad. Finally got one and I loved it. I'm not sure what happened to it but wish I had held on to it.

Google pic:

I've enjoyed looking at every page of this thread and it made me want to wear a watch again. A JDM G Shock is supposed to come in the mail tomorrow and I'm thinking about getting a Seiko diver's watch next. Might even get another Swatch because I used to think they were so cool when I was a kid.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Awesome Coke man! Awesome! One of the few I regret having sold.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
I like it!
Since the bezel is red and black, that must be Coke Zero. ;-)

Appreciate the compliments, thank you.

I definitely prefer the pre-ceramic bezel Rolex watches-before 2007, I think. They wear smaller on the wrist, and IMO are less blingy-although they do scratch and fade.

(But there’s one ceramic bezel Rolex which has
got to be up there among the most beautiful wrist watches ever made: platinum with a chocolate brown bezel, ice blue face.

The “Platona”:

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The GMT is the only Rolex that has ever appealed to me, specifically the Coke, later the Batman.

Don't have one and don't anticipate ever picking one up, but if I did I'd be lucky for it to be as nice as JD's above!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caption This
Picture of Buzzzerker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: June 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:

Appreciate the compliments, thank you.

I definitely prefer the pre-ceramic bezel Rolex watches-before 2007, I think. They wear smaller on the wrist, and IMO are less blingy-although they do scratch and fade.

I am with you on the case size, and I like the smaller markers of the older dials, too. But I like the ceramic bezels. The aluminum ones scratch easily and are vulnerable. My Seamaster's bezel looks rough.

I can't warm up to the Platona, though. I just don't care for the brown and blue combination.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
... But I like the ceramic bezels. ....

I'm hoping against hope they release a CeraCoke GMT with a fully brushed bracelet this year (fat chance, I know).

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
... But I like the ceramic bezels. ....

I'm hoping against hope they release a CeraCoke GMT with a fully brushed bracelet this year (fat chance, I know).

Any good jeweler can brush those polished center links. I saw a Batman (blue and black) done like that and it was a big improvement. Much less blingy. I couldn't put my finger on the difference when I saw it, because it just looked right to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888: Any good jeweler can brush those polished center links.

True. At the Rolex Service Center I worked at we had a special wheel for the buffer called, if I recall correctly, an "Artifex Wheel" that could create a brushed surface in seconds per link.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My humble contribution:

GW50001JF

Threw in a F91W for $10 Big Grin

The GW5000 is pretty nice. It is either all steel or mostly steel, IDK. I left it by the window and it picked up the atomic clock radio signal last night. Looking to get an automatic next.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post
Of all the watches I own this is my everyday, go to. The new ones are all stainless now. This one is Ti.

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
My humble contribution:

GW50001JF

That's an awesome watch. Solar power, time sync, every function you could ever want. EVERY collection should include a G-Shock!

My older version of the same watch:

I wear it all the time, at least once a week.

For a first auto, look at the Seiko 5 line. Superb value for the money and a ton of different designs. I've been thinking of picking up an SNGZ with a Khaki dial.

http://wornandwound.com/2012/0...seiko-5-snzg-review/

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Got this on the wrist today.

Really, I don't wear it often enough but there's something that's just right about the way it sits on my wrist.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leftnose:
That's an awesome watch. Solar power, time sync, every function you could ever want. EVERY collection should include a G-Shock!

My older version of the same watch:

I wear it all the time, at least once a week.

For a first auto, look at the Seiko 5 line. Superb value for the money and a ton of different designs. I've been thinking of picking up an SNGZ with a Khaki dial.

http://wornandwound.com/2012/0...seiko-5-snzg-review/

Mine will probably look like that one day. I really enjoy wearing it but already want another watch!

I was thinking about one of the Presage or Brightz JDM Seikos. The diver's watches are thicker than I'd like so maybe something more along the lines of a field or dress watch.

I really like the subtle detail on the dial of this one:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...tz-automatic-sdgm003

I like the price and lume on this one:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...ko-automatic-sarg011

I notice the same movement in their $400 - $500 dive watches.

An Eco Drive would be good but I've yet to see one that looks good to me.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to be good. It's getting harder. Narrowly averted a STRONG temptation to bid on this vintage beauty. Alas I overcame. So now I'm many dollars to the good, but have no goodies inbound to distract me from all that I have to do. I guess that's a win too, but it doesn't feel like it. hehe

Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
Mine will probably look like that one day. I really enjoy wearing it but already want another watch!

I was thinking about one of the Presage or Brightz JDM Seikos. The diver's watches are thicker than I'd like so maybe something more along the lines of a field or dress watch.

I really like the subtle detail on the dial of this one:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...tz-automatic-sdgm003

I like the price and lume on this one:

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...ko-automatic-sarg011

I notice the same movement in their $400 - $500 dive watches.

An Eco Drive would be good but I've yet to see one that looks good to me.

Those are both very nice watches. I guess the question is if you want a dress watch or a sport watch as those are quite different styles.

I've bought two watches from Seiya and helped a friend buy a SARB from him as well. All the transactions were perfect. Really a good guy to do business with.

King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by varoadking:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Upper left and upper right -- what are they? I see the left one is a Seiko but don't know which model.

Thanks.

The Seiko is a SNDA57P1...here's one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seiko-...3D141591358062&rt=nc

The Victorinox is either a black or green faced Infantry model...I have both.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post