SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
After destroying a strap years ago during a 2-day hot, humid, August trip in south MS I've gone to wearing watch(es) on steel almost exclusively from about May to September or so. A little heavier, but much more comfortable and cooler.

Plus, it's sorta like having another whole watch in a way. For example the same watch below is back on bottom of page 19 on black croc. It's dressier like that, and little more casual this way, but got this watch in particular, and with strap and bracelet, since I could make it year 'round that way. Plus the micro adjustment on the (relatively) light steel was pretty neat.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold a ton of watches through out the years, but these two continue to be my favorites. I *think* they both turn 10 this year.

Manual wind Pam Base 44mm

Omega Planet Ocean XL

One day I'll step up my game to the VC or Patek level, but it's probably at least a few years before I can justify it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

I like the Luminor!

One of my fellow students from the Watch Technology Institute, Calvin, is now the lead watchmaker at the Panerai After-Sales Service center in Dallas. He says they're great movements.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:

I like the Luminor!

One of my fellow students from the Watch Technology Institute, Calvin, is now the lead watchmaker at the Panerai After-Sales Service center in Dallas. He says they're great movements.

Cool. He'll probably wind up seeing this one at some point in the future.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
This might be sacrilege but here's my other watch I got this month Smile

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Looks good Dusty. How do you like the watch?

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
What no gold?

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Looks good Dusty. How do you like the watch?

I've only been wearing it a couple hours. Still figuring the ins and outs. I did take my Apple Watchbout for its native run....right to the taco truck

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty78,

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
That is pretty cool.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm a Muller fan, but prefer a simpler Casablanca. I love the blued hands on the creamy tan dial.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff -

Very Steam-Punky, but with an opening bid of $1,200,000 and a bank letter required, it would impact my pocket change too greatly for me to bid. I'll leave it to the rest of you guys! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Casablanca or Master Banker were on my short list when I decided on a tounneau shaped watch. They are classic dress watches, but I didn't think it would carry the dual personality casual style I wanted on steel.

Now with purply gems - pimpin'!!!

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'm a Muller fan, but prefer a simpler Casablanca.

I'm with you. On that Mega, he must have been thinking "How many functions can I cram onto the face of one watch?" A better question would have been "How many functions SHOULD I put on the face of one watch?"

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Anyone need a new watch?

http://www.exquisitetimepieces...utm_campaign=auction

Not with the rubies. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Oh man, you are so NOT Arab oil sheik.

Gots to have some rubies! For when you platinum Rolex just isn't enough.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This thread could use some life.... Wink

Some of the first watches that really caught my eye were the (old school) Chronoswiss line. I loved some of their pieces, especially the coin-edge bezels and onion crown. Found the story of Gerd R. Lang to be interesting and his commitment to a high quality timepiece out of a family business was nice. Of course, he did finally break down and sell several years ago, but is still involved along with his daughter.

I have a Chronoswiss Regulator that I will likely never let go unless I am in really dire straits. I have been tempted by the Timemaster several times.

The Lunar Chronograph below is the second of this I've owned. After selling the first came across another and realized I really loved the detail on the face. Buying this second one taught me two very valuable lessons:

1. I shouldn't buy watches I like to look at unless I also will wear them a lot. I can't justify more than 4-6 with a couple that are frequent wear pieces. This one just never gets worn, though when I do I still like it.

2. I should never accept a watch that is running very far out of spec. This was fast when I got it, after seller adjusted still fast, lived with it a couple years as it got worse. In the end sent it back to the manufacturer service center rather than some third party and had balance spring and some other bits replaced along with a full service. So, now it runs perfectly while I'm not wearing it, and I've got another $1K in it.

I've actually got the watch listed for sale right now on TZ and WUS and will be letting it go at a loss, but decided that's better than it gathering dust!

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I wish I kept some I've had in the past, namely a Speedmaster Man on the Moon, Fortis, Tag Heuer Aquaracer, and Sinn. Here's a shot from my old Sinn.

Current stable...

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Bumpin' it up. Shot this yesterday. Lighting seems pretty good for an iPic.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post