SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
WWII Elgin Ord Dept 24 hour watch. the spotting is on the crystal, not the dial.]

I like that!

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That Breitling would have stayed in my stash, had it been mine.

Oh, I still have this one! Big Grin It is by far the longest a watch has stayed in my collection continuously since my first ExpII.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ So there's still chance for the rest of us??? Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Wow. Not many Breitling watches catch my fancy. That one is just stunning!!!! Wow.

Can't say it better than that.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Wow. Not many Breitling watches catch my fancy. That one is just stunning!!!! Wow.

While vintage Breitlings are some of the sweetest classics ever made, modern Breitlings do little for me. Though to be fair, the new tribute Navitimer is so close to the original that it has some merit. And original vintage Navis in nice shape are crazy money now, so...

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
WWII Elgin Ord Dept 24 hour watch. the spotting is on the crystal, not the dial.]

I like that!

Thanks. Most for sale today are "put togethers" The movements were also used in airplane gun cameras and fit in an A-11 case. My dad bought this one a long time ago, I'm pretty sure it's genuine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
WWII "Record" British Army ATP (Army Trade Pattern) watch on 1980's British local purchase NATO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Maratac mid-size quartz pilot watch. This is a 39mm quartz driven by an ISA 9500-1010. It was a cheap fun watch. I gifted it to my son. He wore it enough that eventually a hand fell off. I sent it off and got it repaired, but I probably should have just bought him a new watch. The movement is interesting in that when the battery it low, it indicates by switching to a 4 second tick.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
I only have one question about the Royal Oak: how the heck do you remove those screws on the bezel?

They are actually bolts, the hex head sets into a recess in the bezel, and a special nut threads on to it from the back.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
This is my retirement present to myself and my first automatic.

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

My assistant bought the same one.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scot818:
This is my retirement present to myself and my first automatic.

Congrats! That's a damn fine watch. Enjoy your retirement!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks good Scot818.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on not only a great looking watch but also on your retirement.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Omega Speedmaster "First Ω in Space". At 39.7mm, this could have been a superb Speedmaster. While there were a few things that weren't quite what I was looking for in a Speedy, the lack of a Hesalite crystal was what drove me away in the end.

posted Hide Post
Very nice watch sir and the "next one" or a very close variation on this mans' short list.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I see a lot of mentions of hesalite crystals. Is there some reason they are more desirable than a sapphire crystal?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I see a lot of mentions of hesalite crystals. Is there some reason they are more desirable than a sapphire crystal?

I wouldn't say they are necessarily more desirable, as many would prefer sapphire I'm sure. But I am definitely not in that camp. The sapphire changes the look of the dial. It imparts a milk-jug white halo around the dial. Also, the Hesalite lenses in the outer chapter ring pulling in visually the dial. Which of course, is what the original Omega Speedmaster Professional had, and so that is the original appearance.

Here's a pic borrowed from the web. Sapphire on the left, Hesalite on the right.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok....I finally get it. Seeing them side by side yeah I finally understand why lots of Omega Speedy enthusiasts prefer the Hesalite. The speedy on the right and that lack of a clear white/translucent reflection looks waaaaay better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got something neat from Deutschland. A Steinhart 135mm mesh bracelet with 12mm of adjustment in 5 steps built in! It works with my Steinhart Ocean Two Premium better than I expected. It sort of makes it a bit formal looking but the mesh and ability to adjust the bracelet size on the fly is nice. The end links are a little larger than I was expecting but I am enjoying the new bracelet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post