SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
That’s also beautiful. I love the numerals.

Thank you. Yes, Journe has a wonderful dial print. I forgot to mention, that case is made from tantalum. A rather unusual material for a watch, or anything else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Geez, you guys who trade watches are in another world.

I need to figure that out. Or not.

I've never sold a gun, and I've never sold a watch. I save up for both and I like my collections, but I can see if I get bored with something it would be better to sell or trade it that start new.

Currently I have...ummm, four Omega Speedmasters. My 50th Anniversary Apollo 11 watch will never be sold, same as my hexalite Speedmaster on the extra long band. And the blue ceramic one I scored for a deal in Osaka.

But I have an automatic Speedmaster that the ex-wife bought me as a birthday present that I just don't like. It's on a bracelet, and it has a black face but it just does nothing for me.

[/url][/IMG]

Thinking of selling my first watch ever.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

Thinking of selling my first watch ever.

And down the rabbit hole you go!

That's how it all starts. 3 months from now, you'll be posting your 17th watch. Wink

NICE Omega! I've always had a thing for them.
Why doesn't it do anything for you? What about a different band?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Geez, you guys who trade watches are in another world.
I need to figure that out. Or not.

I think of it this way -- There are those that amass a collection, and those that curate a collection. I am the latter. I enjoy the obsessive considerations and take satisfaction in the shifts in-and-out to create a small well-curated collection that fits me best at any given time.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
"Beach Watch 2015" -- Beach watches are a watch purchased for a fun family trip to the beach and for general summer enjoyment, yet in which there was no doubt even before I bought it that it would not be a long term player.

Maratac SR-3 Mid Divers Automatic. This was a great watch. I had a lot of fun with it .

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok....this one should be a little more difficult. Can you identify this watch based on its lume?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I never minded the hands, but I do wish the numbers were lumed. I still have mine.

I went back at it several watches later when they fixed those items. Then I found I still couldn't live with it because it wasn't a 36mm. I'm a loon when it comes to watches.

39mm is the perfect size for me for a watch like that. the old Rolex size of 36mm is small on my gorilla arms.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Found this going through boxes today. Have had it for over 40 years. Has never run, someone Roll Eyes tried to open the back. Can't find anything online about it. Anyone know if it has any value?

First I think it is a dive style watch. It looks like it is missing the dive bezel.
Does it say Bradley on the dial above the 12 mark.
I may have found one on Ebay.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
First I think it is a dive style watch. It looks like it is missing the dive bezel.

I don't have it in front of me but I think it does. I've had it since the late 70's, its never had a bezel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Your last one looks familiar, r0gue.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

I don't have it in front of me but I think it does. I've had it since the late 70's, its never had a bezel.

After doing my initial research I did find some pictures on the internet of watches that very much resemble your watch with a dive bezel for sale.
The one that I saw was in good shape that looked like yours with a dive bezel. It was priced around $100 dollars.

One of the things that make me thing your watch may have had a dive bezel on it is your case back is a screw down as apposed to a press fit.
Also is it a manual wind,automatic or quartz. If it is from the 70s it is probably a manual wind?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also is it a manual wind,automatic or quartz. If it is from the 70s it is probably a manual wind?

It is manual wind. I think it's from the 50's or 60's.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Your last one looks familiar, r0gue.

You know that one has turned something of a rare bird. I've looked back to buy one again several times over. Forget about it. Sometimes bigger ones, but never that one. It's great, Enjoy!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Would you consider a 37.5mm Omega Planet Ocean if you had small/skinny wrists?

The unisex/ small Planet Ocean is kind of a neat watch! The price and size seems interesting.

Where is the best place to buy a quality pre owned Seamaster? I might get one of these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I would avoid small variants of Omega. They are always priced much cheaper but are impossible to sell. If you are 1000% sure you'll never sell it, and they'll allow you to try it on with return rights, you could consider I suppose. But I'd go full size, and I have 6.5" wrists.

I damn near bought a reduced size Speedy once. That would have been a huge error but I was saved by a WIS pal who told me to call and cancel before it had shipped. He saved me a grand easy.

Incidentally, I think I bought a Speedy this morning! haha....

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
For today's tour through r0gue collection history:

IWC Der Flieger Chronograph ref. 3706. Powered by an IWC modified ETA 7792, this was a solid favorite of mine. It wore a bit thick, but the 3706 is a true classic to me.

Ford Tri-Motor for the bonus. I took my kids for their first airplane ride on that old girl.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s such a great pic!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Rogue-
WOW! Eek

I've always liked Chronographs. The IWC Chronos are a beautiful timepiece!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I would avoid small variants of Omega. They are always priced much cheaper but are impossible to sell. If you are 1000% sure you'll never sell it, and they'll allow you to try it on with return rights, you could consider I suppose. But I'd go full size, and I have 6.5" wrists.

I damn near bought a reduced size Speedy once. That would have been a huge error but I was saved by a WIS pal who told me to call and cancel before it had shipped. He saved me a grand easy.

Incidentally, I think I bought a Speedy this morning! haha....

A real Hesalite Speedy is one of the few still on my list.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The jumbo clown sized Planet Oceans lose the most value as nobody wants them after they get them they are so heavy.

A PO's sweet spot is the 42mm. It's a tad large fro me, but I'd take it over the 37.5.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post