SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Dangit! Now you guys have me looking at Monsters on eBay.

Y'all gonna cost me money again!

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I added another interesting watch to the collection. My wife and I started watching season 1 of Homeland (no spoilers please) and I noticed Sgt Brody’s character wore some type of military style watch with a bit of tan in the band.
I did some digging and found out it wasn’t anything fancy. Just an unbranded Walmart militarily style watch. I scooped on up for $9.00 on the eBay. I suppose one can never have too many beaters in the rotation.

Kinda hard to find a good shot of his watch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
My wife and I started watching season 1 of Homeland

Great series! Enjoy.
And enjoy that Walmart Special. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post

My white numbered dial Tissot T-Navigator gets the wrist today. Fun fact: if you have a watch with a N,S,E,W, bezel you can use it as a makeshift compass. You can do it without a rotating bezel too but it’s not as stylish. Wink How do You do this? It’s pretty easy.

To use your watch as an approximate compass outside of the tropics in the northern hemisphere, hold the watch horizontal and point the hour hand at the sun.
Half way between that point and the twelve o'clock mark on your watch points to the south.

My 20+ year old Japanese weeping red lace-leaf maple makes for an exquisite back drop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember if I’ve posted up my modded Mako yet. I’ve had it a while and it finally came up in the cue to get some wrist time. (I like to wear a different watch every day)

This Orient Mako II USA has been modified with a submariner style bezel and a gorgeous ceramic bezel insert with fully lumed markers. I bought the parts from Long Island Watch and was shocked that their bezel not only looks good but fits MUCH TIGHTER and clicks more positively than the factory Orient bezel. I got the bezel insert alignment PERFECT (this is a major pet peeve of mine). In my opinion it is a must do mod for this watch. It looks just spectacular when the light catches it just right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Snapping Twig, I like that Turtle. I have the Blue Lagoon Turtle, and it has a similar color vibe.

I'm sure there is a picture of it in this thread somewhere.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've heard a couple radio ads for this business that I've never heard before, and I suspect that it is one of the many businesses that is struggling during the current emergency, which prompted the ad.

In addition to their collection of new watches for sale, they apparently also have several used watches available.

I've never dealt with the company and can't recommend them from direct experience, but thought that some posting in this thread might be interested to see what is available. They have two retail locations, obviously both are closed during the declared emergency, but they are still encouraging customers to shop through their online store.

Matheu's Fine Watches & Jewelry

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Reposting some pictures that died with tinypic.com going away.

1974 Seiko. First non Swiss made 36000 BPH watch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
kz1000 - Beautiful watch! So simple, yet eye catching.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
kz1000 - Beautiful watch! So simple, yet eye catching.

Thanks, it ticks like a hummingbird on coke.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speedy. Superb timepiece.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This thing is built like a tank. I love the waves on the dial and that unique logo. The Seiko auto movement is keeping really good time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Given stickman428's enthusiasm for parachute straps, I decided to try them for myself. I like! Big Grin

The watch case is chrome although it looks black here from the picture lighting.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16218 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nice!! It looks good. Those straps sure are comfy. I got a few more of them in the mail today. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I got a few more of them in the mail today. Big Grin

Were those the ones from Australia? If so how long did they take to get here?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16218 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nah it was a US seller. I’m still waiting on the Aussie straps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Over the years, I've had a lot of watches go through my collection. I'm reached a point though where I am very pleased with what I have, so there's been little action as of late.

I have cataloged them all in a separate iPhotos database on my MacBook (you can do that by holding down <option> key when you open iPhotos. I have all of the photos, and there are many. Each watch has its own album, and they are in all in chronological order.

So, I thought I'd give a tour of all of the watches I'd owned in order. This will take a few months! Many I owned only a short time -- I call those a "bounce". But this one is my first, and I'd owned it the longest.

This is a 16570 Rolex Explorer II with a tritium dial, lug holes case, non-engraved rehaut and a 3185 movement. I purchased this watch new in 1998 at a small AD in my small town. Sans some department store tripe as a kid, this was my first real watch.

I wore this daily for 11 years when it started to make some noise (ultimately found to be the rotor dislodged a bit and rubbing inside). When I sent it to Rolex for service is had scratches and gouges (as photographed here) BUT ... it was running +/- 0 sec a day! After 11 years!!! I had them replace the bezel, and I allowed that they could lightly polish the case. I specifically said and it was recorded on the service order to leave deeper scratches as I don't want it over polished.

They returned what seemed to me to be a shiny bar of soap. Two years later I traded it off on another watch. Mistakes were made...

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful rOgue. I am going through a similar issue with my Omega Seamaster right now that I will post about once the issue is resolved. You live and you learn.

On a positive note a neat new a Seiko Captain Willard was just released today. Cool This one is more affordable than the SLA033 ($4,250)...much more affordable at $1,100 (SPB153) and $1,300 (SPB151).

Link to Seiko’s new Captain Willard

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I love those older Explorers, and especially the white faces. Too bad Rolex over-polished it, but it is my understanding that they can't be trusted to do otherwise.

I have an Omega Seamaster - the classic mechanical diver. My wife gave it me 25 years ago. It has had the bracelet over polished to a uniform matte finish. To correct that, the bracelet has to be disassembled because each link has nine pieces, two of which are mirror polished while the rest are brushed. And even if the bracelet was fixed, it would no longer match the fairly battered case. Bastard - and it wasn't Omega, it was an independent watchmaker. I didn't even ask for any polishing.

I look forward to seeing the rest of them, Rogue.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue, have you always been a one watch at a time kind of person?

You mentioned something a while back about how once you polish a watch it’s never the same. I saw that and REALLY wish I had paid more attention. My local AD ruined my Seamaster and destroyed the character it acquired over decades of use. It makes me sick when I think about how much I paid and how I don’t even want to wear the watch anymore. It’s an ongoing issue as I am trying to get my old dial and parts back. I specifically told the rep who took my watch I wanted them back. I’m so mad and disappointed. I think if I had paid more attention to your post a while back I could have avoided this mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~