SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
How are you planing on doing the ceiling in the rooms? I like what you have going so far.

Posts: 842 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: May 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much detail are in the pictures but the wall and ceiling panels are textured. For the ceiling my plan is to caulk the seam from where the panels join and roll it with a textured roller and then paint them. If it works and doesn't stand out I will box out the purlins and call it good. The walls that have been studded will get Sheetrock but I hope to be able to caulk and paint the remaining walls without having to Sheetrock them. If I have to Sheetrock all the walls it will screw directly to the metal of the panels.

quote:
Originally posted by Jdakecowles:
How are you planing on doing the ceiling in the rooms? I like what you have going so far.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum said: "You'll be fine trust us."

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
Great stuff I enjoy the posts like this.

~------------------------------~
"Other Duties as Assigned"

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any new updates...

Posts: 153 | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian704:
any new updates...

Perk test is done and I have the permit to install the septic system, or rather have someone install it as now it apparently requires a license to install one... Calling in a few favors as I'm sure someone I know can sign off on it.

Just haven't had the time the last 2 weeks to actually do anything, trying to get the motivation to go start pulling wire.

Looks like I'll have 2 days off this week so next week looks promising, have all the steel to build my cantilevered porch, stainless material is in to build the kitchen island and bathroom vanities.

I swear next time business slows down I'm going to go take out another loan to start another house.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well guys I just wanted to make sure this didn't disappear, Plumbing and electric is 90% done on the inside. Front porch is up waiting for the decking to be screwed down, I have sinks, faucets, appliances, windows, doors, and no telling what else stacked up around our shop and my house.

Give me a couple of weeks and I'll flood you with pictures.

The biggest news is my floor, next door to the plant I've been working at there is a company recycling closed in tractor trailers. Went by yesterday and picked up a load of the used lumber from them and will get a few more next week. I'm also on the list for 2 bundles of the 18'-20' better quality stuff.

Here is a short piece from a busted board and what it looks like after a run through the planer.

I'll have to pick through the load but most of what I have now is 6'-10' lengths and are 12" wide. The greatest thing about using this from my flooring beside how awesome it will look is that it is FREE. It will take some time to get it all cleaned up but the wide boards and then putting over sized screws in to fill the holes will get me an awesome look.

Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
You are too cool for words. Love the recycled building materials and can't wait to see pics of the floor when it's done. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. This is really neat to watch as you progress along. Just think of all the nooks and crannies for hidden stuff that you can build in as you go. Cool Wish I had your talent.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

Looking very good sir!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your gonna have some nice rustic oak floors! Awesome, keep us updated.

Posts: 591 | Registered: February 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
How's the house looking now sureshot?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see the floor. Just remember there is no such thing as too many pictures in a thread like this.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7 Mary 4
Picture of imprezaguy02
posted Hide Post
So cool.

Posts: 8122 | Registered: March 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I've made some small steps but I promise by next week I'll get more pictures up. Our business has done more work in the last 5 months than the last 3 years combined.

I did finally get an easement from the property behind me for power so I'll start with the power company when I get back into town. Also the department of health ok'd me to install the septic system so between those 2 I've saved at least 5k in the last 2 weeks.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The little Occupy shits are whinning because they aren't being given a home from the government. Here you are building your own and you're only 26. Good on you!

I'm finishing my basement by myself and I thought I had a project.

Looking forward to some more pics.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austerity
posted Hide Post
Recycled floor looks to cool for words.

------------------------
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason

Posts: 1228 | Location: Evans, GA | Registered: September 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
Hey guys, I've made some small steps but I promise by next week I'll get more pictures up. Our business has done more work in the last 5 months than the last 3 years combined.

I did finally get an easement from the property behind me for power so I'll start with the power company when I get back into town. Also the department of health ok'd me to install the septic system so between those 2 I've saved at least 5k in the last 2 weeks.

Past next week. We want pics. Lol.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are some more pictures, don't feel as though much has been accomplished in the last month but here it is.

What it looks like today, the 1300' of water line is run waiting for me to get the regulator and check valve put it to hook up to the house.

One of the many piles of materials

Porch as the decking is going down

I ran out of treated lumber but the porch is done enough I can start cutting window and doors holes this week. The front porch will be 6' x 68' once the side porches are tied in.

Here is another look at the free wood I'll be using for my floor. Most of this pictured is 8' to 12' long and 12" wide. Still waiting for my name to reach the top of the list for the 16'-20' stuff. You can pick these small bundles up on a first come first serve basis, each small bundle normally has about 30 good 8'-10' boards. It will take ~150 8' length boards to do my house.

The top board on the left has been run through a planer.

This is a start of the kitchen island, the island will be 13' long and 30" wide. This peices will make up a 26"x60" base for one end which will have the cook top. The island will then free span the other 8' and be supported by a 3" stainless pole.

On the table, tacking everything. Stainless pulls like a son of a bitch when you weld it, keeping it square was a pain.

The two finished (except for grinding and brushing), I have some 1/4" and 3/16" stainless rod that I'll be making 2 wire pull out shelves with to mount between them. Don't have the other end of the island support fabbed up yet.

This started out as a 4'x8' 1/16" stainless sheet. Had a friend bend it at 2" and 8" after I cut it down to 6' length. Built a frame out of 1" stainless angle, and cut the width down to 20". Cut a couple side pieces and tig welded everything out, this will be my master bathroom vanity with 2 vessel sinks and wall mounted faucets. The vanity will attach directly to the wall and be free floating.

Still going to polish it out more to get rid of some of the swirls. It got bet up pretty bad as the friend who bent it for me moved his shop and it got thrown on a trailer under a bunch of carbon steel.

The guys at work did me a huge favor and came out on one of the few days off we have had and helped put in my field lines last Friday. I still need to put the tank in but the hard part is done.

Not much has changed on the inside, most of the electrical and plumbing is done. I'm still trying to decide on light fixtures and stuff but my goal is to start sheet rock by June 1st.

Thank you guys so much for the interest, honestly after working 8-12 hours a day on a roof in the Arkansas heat I haven't had much want to as far as working another 3-4 hours when I get home at night.

We changed our work schedule so during the week I'm working 6:00 A.M. - 2:30 to avoid the some of the heat so maybe I can bet more done in the afternoon. Still working 20-30 hours on weekends though so no break there.

Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Awesome work man. That is one hell of a project, and it is coming together nicely. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just get weirded out to see all of that romex and no pipe. Keep up the good work. Working on your own project doesn't pay off emotionally until you're complete. Getting closer

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
I can't put into words how much respect I have for you...

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post