SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing... I can only dream of being able to do what you are doing...

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been almost another month so I figured it was time to update. Wouldn't you know that we get absolutely swamped at work as soon as I get started building a house so everything has been done at night after getting off of work. My little brothers helped me 2 or 3 nights but everything else has been just me so it is going slow.

This batch of photos are from the cell phone so they may not be that great.

This is from the Master bedroom looking to the rest of the house, the door is in the back of the house (the side that is not 10' off the ground)

Standing in the Kitchen looking into the pantry/ laundry room.

From the spare room to the 2nd bathroom

Spare room to the living room / kitchen and master bedroom and bath which are not finished.

Kitchen/ living room

I took one night and built a rolling work station to pile all of my crap on from left over pieces of an old rack.

Still no effin power, I guess the bastards aren't going to give in so I've got to get the water and septic put in sooner rather than later.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Looking good! One question, how do you secure your house/tools/supplies while you are not working?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one reason I haven't cut any window holes yet. The closest road is the highway which is about 1/4 of a mile away. The road from the highway goes to the natural gas well on my parent property so is it locked at all times. There are normally service people going to the well every other day or so but aside from that no one uses the road turning off the highway so if anyone is entering the property from that entrance it can been seen from my parents house a little over 1/2 mile away.

I need to at least put a deadbolt on the door but if they want in they will get in, after that they will be toting stuff at least 1/2 mile to the next closest road. As soon as I start the wiring and everything the plan is to start staying there at night just incase.

We are really lucky that 11 years we have never had anything stolen or tampered with.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
really glad you are keeping us up to date... i am liking this project and enjoy the pictures

Posts: 153 | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
nice job so far, keep those pics updating us!

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question.....in the photo titled..."from the spare room to the 2nd bathroom", is the wet wall for the tub an exterior wall?

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The white panels are the "out side walls" all of the studded walls are either for room dividers or in the case of the 2x6 wall on the back to have a place to run water and electric. Every room that needs water touches that back false 2x6 wall.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
The white panels are the "out side walls" all of the studded walls are either for room dividers or in the case of the 2x6 wall on the back to have a place to run water and electric. Every room that needs water touches that back false 2x6 wall.

So, no concerns about outside temperatures, freezing of the plumbing?

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope the walls have an R30 value the floor is R40. The lines under the house will be insulated and heat traced where they need to be.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
continues to impress me Smile

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sideways85
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I'm the same age and have always wanted to build my own but there is a few things that always scared me so I decided to buy a house.

Posts: 672 | Location: Cleburne, TX | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
Still no effin power, I guess the bastards aren't going to give in so I've got to get the water and septic put in sooner rather than later.

That's what Entergy told me in 2007 a well or a poured foundation. or no hook up.

With what you have if you set the pole with the panel (assuming the engineer has been out and you're on the same page about location) than call the engineer back out he may sign you off.

Or you can call and say my well is going in on X date so I need power by X date, I know a couple of people who done it that way. Smiling and polite all the way of course. Can you say Y'all. Wink

Looks real good BTW

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Nice project. In for updates !

Posts: 1512 | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely understand that, there have been more than one occasion that I just stand there and think WTF are you doing. Luckily there are enough people around that anything I do wrong can get noticed and corrected.
quote:
Originally posted by sideways85:
Very nice!

I'm the same age and have always wanted to build my own but there is a few things that always scared me so I decided to buy a house.

Finally have a few windows in

Didn't get a picture but all of the inside walls are up, starting the electrical and plumbing tonight.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Coming along very well.

Where do you plan on putting the stripper pole?

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
Any progress with the power hook-up?

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got some stainless pipe and plate so the stripper pole can be moved from room to room.

On the power situation we were at a disagreement on where to run the power from so I'm waiting until the water and septic is hooked up so they can't give me more crap. I'm waiting on an easement from the property behind me as well.

Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
Looks great!
No concern with the flat roof and standing snow?

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a bit of concern, not worried about the 3-4 inches we occasionally get but if one of the big freak snows come in I will keep it scraped off to be safe.

quote:
Originally posted by bashman:
Looks great!
No concern with the flat roof and standing snow?