SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying the progress. I cant wait to see it all complete.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
I think I am speaking for everyone here when I say "We want more!!!!"

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the lack of updates, between getting my woman moved and work I've been very busy the lst few weeks.

Pardon all of the boxes and household items as I am living here full time now.

Still working on getting gas run to the cooktop, and waiting on trim peices for the stove that were missing to finish out the kitchen. And a vent a hood I guess.

A cousin of mine(my dads pervious cousin by marriage auctually) makes metal hand rails on the side and he has laid everything out for me on his table so I'll start welding out handrails for the porches this week and hopefully finish the kitchen.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
If you cant find your drill I know where it is!

Always my favorite thread here. Still want to do this very thing. I just need to do it before I get to damn old to do it well.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bump to keep this alive. Working 2 full time jobs is both fun and exhausting but I am getting am still getting a little done on the house.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
Keep up the great work.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Amazing work. Quite impressive.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Very, Very Nice

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorite threads, very nice work. Can't wait to see pics of the built-in gun vault and muti-purpose shooting range. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good. There is something to be said for building your own place, there is pride in every piece.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Reading back to page 1, this was supposed to be a bachelor pad, right? Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wpatrus
posted Hide Post
Just read the whole thread - I am impressed and I love how it's turning out. Can't wait to see the end of it. (and congrats on getting a Mrs in the processes)

Posts: 202 | Location: Newnan, Georgia | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Your home is amazing. Can't wait for more pictures...

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a bit of a teaser update.

I took off a week from both jobs the week before last and me and the Mrs knocked out most of what was left. There are a few pieces of trim and some touch paint, and hanging the sliding doors.

Outside needs about 30' of handrails and a few odds and ends (other than landscaping).

Big update with lots of pictures coming in a week or so. Sorry for the crappy phone photos

Finished the vent hood a few days ago

And a picture of our completely innocent, non hyper pup

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Had to go looking for this thread. Was reviewing land sales in the hills the other day and thought of this thread.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the update. Great job.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, can't wait for the big house warming party, I'll bring some beer. Smile

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the continued interest! The house is 99% done. Still have about 30' of handrails to paint and install, and 1500 sq ft 2 bathroom doors build/install. I'm going to try and get some pictures up before this weekend but if not it will be after the wedding/honeymoon.

The appraisal came in this week at $117k for a 2 bedroom 2 bath. Little low of what I was expecting, but if I understand it right the value would be ~150k if the road and landscaping was finished instead of looking like a construction site. Nonetheless 117k is fine for switching my building loan over to a mortgage, and all said and done I have about 55k in all that includes appliances so I'm fairly happy.

If I had to do it again it could be done for 50k, and know I know everything that really eats up time so it would be quicker as well.

Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
I don't know what 117k gets a homebuyer in Arkansas, but I think your home is worth more than that. Way more.
If you had an architect or builder they would be submitting your house for all sorts of awards right now.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a few reasons it appraised that way. One of them is location, it is out in the country and there is nothing to compare it to.

I also originally had an appraiser out back in April at the request of the bank I was using to try and get a mortgage. The appraiser was a jerk and didn't give me an option of when he was going to do the appraisal. He said it had to be the next day (Friday) because he had to turn in the appraisal on Tuesday and he was going out of town on Monday. So he comes out and looks around and writes a few notes and leaves. I think he realized it was going to be a lot of work to appraise the house and so he simply didn't do one, and told the back that it wouldn't meet their lending guidelines and therefor the back dropped it immediatly.

Now back to the new guy, he is very nice and talkative and while discussing things he makes the comment about my house having metal siding and a metal roof. Just wanting to get out of the building loan and into a mortgage I didn't correct him. So over the next year as I get the landscaping done and finish my fiance's pottery studio I might have it appraised again and this time make sure they account for the materials and energy efficiency of the house.

But yes, 50 minutes SW to Little Rock and the house would be in the 175k range.

quote:
Originally posted by dkv:
I don't know what 117k gets a homebuyer in Arkansas, but I think your home is worth more than that. Way more.
If you had an architect or builder they would be submitting your house for all sorts of awards right now.