SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I felt like I had been getting a lot done around the house until getting ready to do this update then it felt like I hadn't gotten as much done but none the less.

Finished the Kitchen shelves, I had original just had ~5/8" boards supports on 3/8" rods but I was at the end of my walnut supply so most of them were warping plus there wasn't enough to build all the shelves. I picked up some more walnut (and had an oak cut up, see below) a few weeks ago and finished them last weekend before me and my wife both got a nasty cold. I cut 1 1/4" bands to face the shelves with to keep them straight and give them more of a presence on the wall. Also used a Kreg joint tool and ran some 2 1/2" screws into the walls to help support them as each shelf has over $200 worth of cups on them.

I'm waiting another few weeks until it cools to sand everything down and seal it with Waterlox as the house will need to air for 4-5 days at a minimum.

Also got a few better pictures of the bookcase from a month ago.

And some shelves for the pantry/laundry finally.

My rolling home entertainment system...

Took a log from the wooded area beside the house I've been clearing to be milled. In about a year it should be close to dry enough to start building stuff with.

The wife had some old wax left in heating pan that she uses for her pottery so we coated the ends to keep them from checking.

The porch was the only available flat spot at the time so I'll wait 5-6 months and re stack it (bottom to top and top to bottom) somewhere more out of the way. Until then its decoration and aroma therapy as I enjoy the smell of fresh cut wood.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
Kicking ass, man.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photo update...looking very good Smile...I admire someone who can build his own house...

By the way...those look like World Book Encyclopedias in the book shelf...haven't seen those in forever Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are of the sentimental sort. Firstly I have a thing for books which is why we have them to begin with. Secondly back about 8 years ago while in college I lived in the house of some friends of the family who's dad had passed for about a year while they were selling the house and there were still a few things around the house that no one took. Well that family friend was my now wife's uncle and they are her Grandfathers books. I also have a few old power tools and other books that were his as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Thanks for the photo update...looking very good Smile...I admire someone who can build his own house...

By the way...those look like World Book Encyclopedias in the book shelf...haven't seen those in forever Big Grin

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, very nice home.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always look forward to updates on the house. Looks great.

Posts: 492 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: June 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like your entertainment center.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
looks damn near perfect to me. I'd love a house like that!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update to show that I've gone red neck.

I keep putting off getting a permanent propane tank and in the winter these tanks go from lasting 3-4 months to lasting a month and a half. Propane is only used for hot water and cooking so they shouldn't last that much less. The problem is when its cold the propane condensates, its fickle enough that if its 20 in the morning you won't be able to get hot water but if it turns out sunny and 50 a few hours later the tank heats up and works just fine. So I heat taped and insulated my propane tank Big Grin .

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Have you had time to see if that heated water better on cold mornings since you insulated it?

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had 3 mornings below 30 degrees since and I haven't had a problem with hot water yet. The problem was with the direct fire hot water heater not gettin enough pressure to fire up and so far so good.

With the about 10 wraps of heat tape on it the tank is quite warm, the tape self regulates at 80 degrees I think.

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Nice stack of rough sawn and the encyclopedias also caught my eye.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had some left over tile from the bathrooms and decided to do a little update/fix for the entry. Since I haven't gotten around to building porch awnings yet the door gets quite a bit of water on it which in turn was getting into the house with 95% of the in and out traffic going through that door. The food on the floor is about 1-1/4" thick so after pulling it out laying the Ditra and then the tile it is about 1/2" lower which is actually great as we can put a rug down now and the door not catch on it.

Ditra is down, I've already cut the flooring out and replaced the plywood underneath that was in bad shape already (a 16"x40" section right in front of the door).

And the "Can we go play now?"

Picture of mrhockey
posted Hide Post
That's really nice looking.

"Dancing M&Ms?! This guy's f**king baked!"

Posts: 392 | Location: PHX, AZ | Registered: March 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Been fun to follow along throughout your build sureshot45.

What I see now is all things, welded, sawn, screwed and nailed and hard. You really need something soft in the place. You are surrounded by non conventional building materials and everything is hard.

You need a pair of comfortable recliners and some soft carpet somewhere or a area rug for stocking feet.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Been fun to follow along throughout your build sureshot45.

What I see now is all things, welded, sawn, screwed and nailed and hard. You really need something soft in the place. You are surrounded by non conventional building materials and everything is hard.

You need a pair of comfortable recliners and some soft carpet somewhere or a area rug for stocking feet.

You are correct, we have been looking for a couple of rugs for awhile now but as it happens the ones we both agree on end up being way out of budget. We are looking at another couch or couple of chairs as well but just haven't made a decision yet.

A rug is probably higher up than anything for me, its probably weird but I personally like sitting and laying on the floor especially after being at a desk or in the car all day.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I hope you're assembling these in a photo album somewhere.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

Here! Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38676 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:

Here! Wink

Ha that is true. But yes I have digital copies of everything I have done thus far. Much more than what have been pictured here. Took pictures of all the plumbing and electrical ran in the walls and other stuff I might need to know in 20 or 30 years if my memory fails me.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I really liked the pottery topic you started sureshot45. The colors are beautiful. Can you say what is the large black dish atop the shelves by entrance doorway? Thank you.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post