SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo a Star Wars Story review... No spoilers yet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo a Star Wars Story review... No spoilers yet Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I see the movie is veering more towards a comic book flavor rendition. I can't fault Disney for that as those comic book movies have brought in big dollars.

For me, it's a negative as it's become more cartoonish and less sci-fi.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s about money so they are mainstreaming it, dumbing it down, etc. Instead of making a truly great film they are more concerned with mass appeal. Blade Runner 2049 was a masterpiece but didn’t do the $ because it was art, intelligent, and intelligence doesn’t sell. Shit blowing up does, as does campy humor, and all other sorts of stupid shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12636 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumbing down? It was never smart. It has always been a Saturday morning adventure serial with turbochargers. Nothing more. In fact, when Lucas monkeys with things to make it more... the results are disappointing. Which is why Empire remains so good, it is un-monkeyed. Which is why the first three were not (mitichloriants? Wtf?).

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son and I saw it and it was ok. The funny/amusing parts were not that funny, at least to me. There were a few Easter eggs in it if you are a fan of the series and other Harrison Ford movies. I though Clark did a good job in the movie as the love interest and I can see them making another Solo movie if this one does well.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Dumbing down? It was never smart. It has always been a Saturday morning adventure serial with turbochargers. Nothing more. In fact, when Lucas monkeys with things to make it more... the results are disappointing. Which is why Empire remains so good, it is un-monkeyed. Which is why the first three were not (mitichloriants? Wtf?).

Totally disagree. The first 3 films took some thought pattern. They were revolutionary in that they asssumed the audience had some kind of brain function. Now it’s the SJW, the Asian girl, and Kasdan, who wrote TESB, also wrote Solo, was really questioning his own Solo script, thinking he could have made Lando bisexual, he had an opportunity for SJW, antifa and missed it.

We all need to face the fact that the original trilogy, even ROTJ, were masterpieces with their own faults. But those faults pale in comparison with Disney and their bullshit. Disney’s goal and stance is to farm this deal out Avengers style. Individual films that tie into a main series. $$$$, that’s it, “fans” don’t mean jack bone shit. Enjoy the next one, Disney is making a shit Boba Fett film, and it will suck. Lucas’s prequels look like the Sistine Chapel now.

Posts: 12636 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Kasdan's son was the one talking all of the BS about Lando being bisexual.

Solo was great. Certainly not perfect, but a ton of fun. They kept to what made Han and Chewie and Lando so likeable. The Skywalker story is the serious part... Han and Chewie are the relief.

This and R1 are easily better than any of the prequels, imo.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and I saw it last night. She thought it was great. Lot of fun, no political statements, and twists she didn't see coming.

I thought it was pretty good and really happy Ron Howard finished the directing as, IMHO, it could've easily been a crappy movie.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I thought Solo was a snoozefest. Definitely wait for this to hit Netflix. It was pretty weak. The guy playing Solo was one of the worst actors I have seen to play the main role in a movie.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guy playing Solo was one of the worst actors I have seen to play the main role in a movie.

Have you witnessed the acting of Hayden Christensen? Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just saw it for a second time to see if I could pick up more Easter Eggs...and I did. Question...what is the time period of this movie relative to the Star Wars saga? Pre-Episode 1 or Pre-Episode 4?

The actor playing Han is a cross between a young Ray Liotta and Leonardo DiCaprio.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It is post episode 3 and pre episode 4

It happens concurrently with some of the events in the Rebels cartoons

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting until Netflix on this one. They got me with TLJ, won't happen again.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
When you do watch it on Netflix, I hope you've got a large screen on which to view it. There's a lot of cool visual stuff crammed into the film.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
I'm waiting until Netflix on this one. They got me with TLJ, won't happen again.

September 18th it releases on disc. 4 months from theater to home. Pays off to be patient. I think 3D Disney films are like $17.50 a ticket at my local theater.