SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ First Trailer: Peter Jackson Breathes New Life Into Century-Old WWI Footage Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
There is a new trailer out:

Check Fathom Events . December 17th and 27th only. Also, noted it will be shown in 3D.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
A Quick interview with Peter Jackson:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
WW1 - probably more than any other war - just makes me ask 'Why?'

it seems so ridiculous and wasteful -- just a senseless meatgrinder -- no redeeming tactics or maneuver

Ok boys - over the top - right straight into overlapping high volume machine gun fire ... again and again

that plus the seemingly unending artillery barrages that pounded static lines mercilessly

hell on earth

--------------------------------------------------

The Brits...gotta' save the world, ya' know. They throw their colonial subjects into the fray and when the Brits get their asses kicked, they come to us for help.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

The GreatWar 1914-1918
For the Fallen
Robert Laurence Binyon

Poem by Robert Laurence Binyon (1869-1943), published in The Times newspaper on 21 September 1914.

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill: Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres.
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

link

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok boys - over the top - right straight into overlapping high volume machine gun fire ... again and again

It started in the American Civil War: tactics failed to adjust to advances in weapons technologies. Just like, "over the top,"in the Civil War both sides charged into overwhelming small arms and artillery fire: Fredericksburg was a prime example, with Burnside repeatedly charging across a wide open field. Lee at Gettysburg. Grant at Cold Harbor. (At Cold Harbor, 8000 Union troops fell in 20 minutes.) There are countless examples.

I think that behind it all was a misguided sense of bravery and manhood. They thought that bravery meant "no fear." And that real manhood required you to charge-- literally-- into almost suicidal engagements.

Poor bastards.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
For those who expressed an interest in seeing this, it will show for two nights here in the US on December 17 and December 27.

Check here on the Fathom Events website to see if it will be in a theater near you.

It's on near me today - decent scattering of theaters in the Raleigh area.

I should have have planned around it. But the stuff I was thinking of doing this afternoon/evening is all reschedule-able.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Check Fathom Events . December 17th and 27th only. Also, noted it will be shown in 3D.
thanks.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I saw They Shall Not Grow Old this evening in Pittsburgh, PA. I highly recommend this film. Be sure to stick around after the credits roll for an ~30 minute "making of" narrative by Peter Jackson.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it this evening; strongly agree with the previous poster. Jackson was definitely the right guy for this project.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
So, since cheesegrits posted the link to theaters playing this, I've been planning on seeing this. Last week I reminded myself that it was showing this week...got busy this weekend and today...and it was only after I took a few minutes to scan the forum and saw this thread bumped that I suddenly recalled the movie was playing near me tonight. Check the phone super quick, couldn't get the 19:00 showing details to load, and with minutes to spare I arrive at the box office...only to learn that this showing was sold out. Disappointed and just getting home now to check this thread.

Grrr, I'm a bone-head...but I'm glad there was enough interest to sell this showing out.

The good news is that there is one more local showing coming up...but at the local screen it plays in the middle of the day.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I also saw it tonight. It is a powerful piece of filmmaking. Haunting and sobering. Can not recommend it highly enough. Felt a deeply personal connection to the material knowing my grandfather fought in the Argonne. I have his Purple Heart displayed in my home office.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2387 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
My wife went with me to view this. She went with me as an early Christmas present. But afterwards she told me she was really glad she tagged along as the film was fantastic and moving. It was very well done, very sobering. When the film ended you could hear a pin drop. I highly recommend and so glad I watched this documentary.

On a side note I never thought about how we don't have a national WW1 memorial here stateside?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the National WWI Museum in Kansas City with impressive memorials that were put up shortly after the war. It is an outstanding museum and worth traveling to see.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
This was an excellent movie. Went to the 4PM showing and it was almost completely sold out. Almost all stayed for the 30 minute afterword by Peter Jackson, explaining how it was they got this done, and why he was so passionate about getting involved and getting it right.

For those who missed it today, there is another date, December 27, at the local cinema I went to. Hopefully there'll be another opportunity at your local theater, too.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Just purchased tickets online. Very surprised to see the matinee showing at 1:00 on Thursday, December 27th is almost sold out here in Anchorage. Personal connection for me as well with my grandfather having earned a Purple Heart during the war. A chance to see some of what he may have experienced.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Looks very good.

https://www.newsweek.com/peter...elease-where-1262303

Since the silent footage has no audio track, Jackson’s team created one from scratch. A detailed, realistic sound effects mix was added.

Lip-read conversations were restored with voice actors, while ‘60s and ‘70s-era Imperial War Museum audio interviews with veterans served for narration.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Really wanted to see this but was feeling too ill.
Not sure whether the 27th will work out. Too bad, was looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well that's typical. The one movie I was planning to go to the theater for, and it's only playing while I'm out at sea. Roll Eyes

Will this be making it to DVD? If not, I'm going to riot like the French.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Blu Ray from Amazon UK
While it is PAL, my Oppo player is region free.

Supposed to get it Jan 11th.

I wish the 3d version was on blu ray, as Jackson himself said it was his favorite version. And the UK reviewers of the film also said the 3D was awesome.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Wish they were doing more dates. It's playing 3 miles from my house on the 27th, but only matinee. And I'll be teaching all day that day.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post