SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Magnum P.I. REBOOT *airs tonight 9-24-18*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Magnum P.I. REBOOT *airs tonight 9-24-18* Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Candace Bergan should have went to "Curves" for six months before trying the reboot, a face lift would help too.
 
Posts: 3884 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Destroying TWO Ferrari's in one show will make a man cry. Frown
 
Posts: 15912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Take heart, smschulz, it was just the bad CGI we were talking about. No Ferraris were harmed.

In fact, it's possible there weren't even any Ferraris in last night's show at all! Considering how expensive they are, they may have been using CGI enhancements of old VW convertibles and we just didn't notice. Wink


--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
 
Posts: 8396 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I watched the show last night and considered it to be lackluster and empty. The characters lacked charisma. They looked dull and like they would rather be some place else.

I didn't think H 5-0 would be around very long, yet they are still here. So I guess we can expect this Magnum to be around for a while too.


_____________________________

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."
 
Posts: 1057 | Location: Lake County South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit it but I kinda enjoyed the show last night. First seasons are always stilted until the cast finds their grove but it was nice watching a show that wasn’t a procedural drama (unlike almost everything else of TV these days) and a return to the old format of big explosions and Devil-may-care attitudes.


Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.
 
Posts: 231 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty bad, mostly because of the new Magnum. I really don't care that he's hispanic, but a short guy just isn't working for that character.

However, anyone who quit watching after 10 minutes needs to watch at least to the 15 minute mark, where the new Higgins is doing yoga. That's worth watching.
 
Posts: 2442 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Female Higgins was the best character and actor.


Probably because she has the strongest CV of anyone on the show. I know there are Foyle's War fans here. Perdita Weeks is the younger sister of Honeysuckle Weeks (Sam). If you watch any UK TV at all you would have seen both sisters a lot.


We often meet our destiny on the road we took to avoid it.
 
Posts: 1549 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Female Higgins was the best character and actor.


Probably because she has the strongest CV of anyone on the show. I know there are Foyle's War fans here. Perdita Weeks is the younger sister of Honeysuckle Weeks (Sam). If you watch any UK TV at all you would have seen both sisters a lot.


Yep, loved Foyle's War and Honeysuckle Weeks. Truthfully, it would be a better show as Higgins PI with Perdita Weeks.

Back to Minimum PI issues I had:

1. Guy playing Magnum was horrible actor and looks like his only qualification is male model(dude had no chest/body hair at all, I know SEALS use a lot of hair product but total body hair removal???)
2. They referred to their time captured and in captivity as at a POW camp......Taliban and insurgents have POW camps???
3. SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!! At the end (yes I watched the whole damn thing) they are in dress uniforms and are going to the funeral of their buddy but none of them shaved or even combed their damn hair.
4. Lots and lots of other shit wrong with this show but too long mention. I would have to watch it again, which I won't do, and take notes.

Writing was crappy, acting was crappy, and they even had the gall to title the first episode, "I Saw the Sun Rise" after the GREATEST Magnum scene and show ever!!! It was sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Posts: 2486 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Lots and lots of other shit wrong with this show but too long mention. Writing was crappy, acting was crappy...,


This show has a specific purpose and target audience, which is the same as that new Five-0. (I used to watch that show, all because of Boomer, until they kicked her off.) There are shows (mostly on cable) that are designed to be gripping and meaty and water-cooler worthy. Most network shows are designed for average people to veg to, like they've had a hard day at work and taking care of the family and they just need to turn their brain off, be it reality shows, lame sitcoms, or unsophisticated action/dramas. They're there for you to fold laundry to, or surf the net, or talk about your day, or fall asleep to, as it runs in the background.

All those shows need to do is be brightly and colorfully filmed, have some action and attractive people, and just be eye candy. That's why characters tend to verbalize obvious plot points like "We need to find the killer fast, and before he kills again!" These shows want to demand the least amount of brain power from its tired audience. That's why fans of these shows will always cry "Just sit back and turn your brain off," when you tend to nitpick these shows. So, I understand, but I also think it's a little unreasonable to expect good writing and attention to detail from any of these types of shows. I liken it to complaining about the quality of ingredients on your Whopper from Burger King.
 
Posts: 5068 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:

I didn't think H 5-0 would be around very long, yet they are still here. So I guess we can expect this Magnum to be around for a while too.


At this point anyway there is no comparison to Hawaii 5-0.
H50 has turned out decent (IMO).
M PI hasn't done any favors by forcing a Hispanic in the title role and a woman for Higgins.
I know why they did it and those actors are decent, I just despise their motive for doing it.
Liberals will call me a hater of d-i-v-e-r-s-i-t-y but I really am a hater of PC.
So we shall see how the show turns out, not impressed so far.
 
Posts: 15912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
watched it long enough to see the cool Unimog





Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.



Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
 
Posts: 47197 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I watched the show last night and considered it to be lackluster and empty. The characters lacked charisma. They looked dull and like they would rather be some place else.

But aside from that did you like the show? Smile

I'm a fan of the original Magnum. To me it's fun to watch scenes of Hawaii from 30 years ago. Oahu is so different now, it's hard to recognize places I used to know
 
Posts: 190 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Well, with the exception of one member who enjoyed the show, it seems to be getting a resounding thumbs down...as many expected.

I suppose, as a fan of the original MPI series and a fan of the original cast members I'd like to see the Producers/ Directors/ Writers/ and cast members of the reboot find a way to produce a series that captured the essence of the original series...but I'm not hopeful. To 'Fast and Furious' CGI the legacy of the original series is just shameful.

I guess I'll stick to watching reruns and my DVD copies. For those of you who continue to follow the series let us know how it develops.
 
Posts: 4113 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched it last night on demand with a friend,

it was simply meh,

not that great, not too terrible,

may watch another episode, may not,

did notice that Higgy (kept calling her that in the show, seemed wrong) and Magnum (who it seems everybody pronounced maganum) went from hatin' to maybe we should date, in less than an hour



www.chesterfieldarmament.com
 
Posts: 7127 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Lots and lots of other shit wrong with this show but too long mention. Writing was crappy, acting was crappy...,


This show has a specific purpose and target audience, which is the same as that new Five-0. (I used to watch that show, all because of Boomer, until they kicked her off.) There are shows (mostly on cable) that are designed to be gripping and meaty and water-cooler worthy. Most network shows are designed for average people to veg to, like they've had a hard day at work and taking care of the family and they just need to turn their brain off, be it reality shows, lame sitcoms, or unsophisticated action/dramas. They're there for you to fold laundry to, or surf the net, or talk about your day, or fall asleep to, as it runs in the background.

All those shows need to do is be brightly and colorfully filmed, have some action and attractive people, and just be eye candy. That's why characters tend to verbalize obvious plot points like "We need to find the killer fast, and before he kills again!" These shows want to demand the least amount of brain power from its tired audience. That's why fans of these shows will always cry "Just sit back and turn your brain off," when you tend to nitpick these shows. So, I understand, but I also think it's a little unreasonable to expect good writing and attention to detail from any of these types of shows. I liken it to complaining about the quality of ingredients on your Whopper from Burger King.


You are right. I shouldn't expect something similar to the Magnum of my youth but I remember a time in the not too distant past when great writing met with great acting to give us scenes like this one from from Person of Interest, "The Devil's Share" episode:



This was just one great scene in an episode full of great scenes. I know it has nothing to with the Magnum regurgitation but it does show they did have good shows with good writing and good acting in this decade.
 
Posts: 2486 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
Candace Bergan should have went to "Curves" for six months before trying the reboot, a face lift would help too.


Avoiding the aspect of personal appearances, and risking dreading the thread:
This first 15 minutes of the Murphy Brown reboot is 15 too many. Way too political, right off the bat.



Support our troops, and our veterans.
Go Hokies!
New favorite quote from the golf course: "It's not the club, son."
 
Posts: 8457 | Location: Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
But, but, but you can buy a special edition Magnum P.I. pistol from STI in 9mm, with a mag well and compensator....

https://dawsonprecision.com/on...sta-carry-comp-9x19/


Magnum carries and shoots a GI 1911, in .45 ACP!




Looking for an Alaskan Malamute? Look here: http://www.moonsongmals.org
Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
 
Posts: 7090 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
But, but, but you can buy a special edition Magnum P.I. pistol from STI in 9mm, with a mag well and compensator....

https://dawsonprecision.com/on...sta-carry-comp-9x19/


Magnum carries and shoots a GI 1911, in .45 ACP!


It was suppose to be a 1911 .45 but they used a 1911 9mm because the .45 blanks didn't work right........so for all intents and purpose, it was a 9mm acting as .45acp. Wink
 
Posts: 2486 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
So now I'm three episodes in. It's actually not too bad. Not as good as the original (from what I can remember), but I do feel that they have done a decent job of capturing the essence of the original with a more modern spin. I'll keep watching, at least until Magnum sleeps with Higgins. I can totally see that coming. That'll definitely be the jump the shark moment, that's for sure.
 
Posts: 1401 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Interesting! Now you've put me in a pickle...invest the effort in getting on board and following this reboot, or wait for more reviews and possibly fall behind on a series that might have some potential when my TV time is very limited...

...thanks for following up!
 
Posts: 4113 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Magnum P.I. REBOOT *airs tonight 9-24-18*

© SIGforum 2018