SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Comedic Actors Who Switched To Serious Roles
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comedic Actors Who Switched To Serious Roles Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Anyone who hasn’t seen him in The Newsroom owes it to themselves to watch it. I was disappointed they only did two seasons of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Jeff Daniels comes to mind

He obviously has done dumb and dumber

And was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in Gettysburg (and superb in the role)

He seems to move fairly seamlessly between the genres

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Steve Martin took a serious role in Grand Canyon.

Also ‘Pennies from heaven’.

Did anyone mention Bill Murray?

Posts: 12180 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Did anyone mention Bill Murray?

Let me ask Appliance Brad... I wonder if he heard the news about Colt. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Jack Black

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
George C. Scott went from the role of General "Buck" Turgidson to the role of General George S. Patton.

(I would guess that EVERYONE on this forum has seen both of these movies -- it might even be part of the waiver)

ETA: Bradley Cooper. Went from The Hangover to the role of Chris Kyle. Although I never really thought of Bradley Cooper as a Comedian.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: radioman,

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jonathan Winters did a serious role in an episode of The Twilight Zone as the ghost of a pool player. Season 3, Episode 5, "A Game of Pool".

Bill Murray wasn't in that episode.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Will Ferrell in Everything Must Go.

'Stranger Than Fiction' is a favorite. I'm closed-minded to everything else he's done.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no use for Will Ferrell but can't remember why.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Ed O'Neil also played a serious role in 'Spartan.'

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Robin Williams was also excellent in Awakenings.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronald Reagan. Can't get much more serious than being POTUS.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard Belzer is another one who began as a comic and became Detective John Munch in Homicide Life on the Street and then Law and Order SVU.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I have no use for Will Ferrell but can't remember why.

Ferrell as a comic was only good in small doses. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was about the most I could take of him. I couldn't tolerate "Talladega Nights" or "Step Brothers" or anything he starred in....

Until "Everything Must Go". There are funny (more like bittersweet) parts in it, but he does a great job of portraying a guy whose life is just falling down around him.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Many good examples already stated. I do want to say that in my opinion regarding Robin Williams, of my 3 favorite movies of his, only 1 is him in a comedic role (Best of Times). Otherwise, Dead Poets Society and particularly Insomnia show some real acting chops.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Pat Morita. From Arnold on Happy Days to wise old Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid movies.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Ferrell as a comic was only good in small doses.
Agreed. In comedic roles in movies, a little bit of Will Ferrell goes a looooooooooooong way.
[/DRIFT]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Might be the reverse of what you're asking, but I remember seeing Leslie Neilson in a serious role and kindof laughing - because I'd only ever seen him in goofy roles. Maybe it was that classic SciFi movie - I've forgotten the name.

Neilson was a leading man early in his career, but never a wildly popular one. Turning to comedy was career genius for him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
Though he certainly still has some humorous scenes, I'd say Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Azbw8xsFPg" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Micheal McKean, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
David Schwimmer...

Ross Geller to Capt. Herbert Sobel

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Harold Ramis has done some good, albeit small, serious roles.

As good as It Gets
Stealing Home

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post