SIGforum
Comedic Actors Who Switched To Serious Roles

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/7610033164

September 26, 2019, 05:59 AM
Peanut71
Comedic Actors Who Switched To Serious Roles
Anyone who hasn’t seen him in The Newsroom owes it to themselves to watch it. I was disappointed they only did two seasons of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Jeff Daniels comes to mind

He obviously has done dumb and dumber

And was Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in Gettysburg (and superb in the role)

He seems to move fairly seamlessly between the genres

September 26, 2019, 06:09 AM
clubleaf206
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Steve Martin took a serious role in Grand Canyon.

Also ‘Pennies from heaven’.

Did anyone mention Bill Murray?

September 26, 2019, 06:48 AM
cas
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
Did anyone mention Bill Murray?

Let me ask Appliance Brad... I wonder if he heard the news about Colt. Wink

September 26, 2019, 08:20 AM
Orguss
Jack Black

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
September 26, 2019, 09:51 PM
radioman
George C. Scott went from the role of General "Buck" Turgidson to the role of General George S. Patton.

(I would guess that EVERYONE on this forum has seen both of these movies -- it might even be part of the waiver)

ETA: Bradley Cooper. Went from The Hangover to the role of Chris Kyle. Although I never really thought of Bradley Cooper as a Comedian.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: radioman,

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
September 26, 2019, 11:05 PM
NavyAgShooter
Jonathan Winters did a serious role in an episode of The Twilight Zone as the ghost of a pool player. Season 3, Episode 5, "A Game of Pool".

Bill Murray wasn't in that episode.
September 27, 2019, 07:15 PM
Keystoner
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Will Ferrell in Everything Must Go.

'Stranger Than Fiction' is a favorite. I'm closed-minded to everything else he's done.

Year V
September 27, 2019, 07:55 PM
NK402
I have no use for Will Ferrell but can't remember why.
September 28, 2019, 05:53 PM
mo4040
Ed O'Neil also played a serious role in 'Spartan.'

September 29, 2019, 01:09 PM
AUTiger89
Robin Williams was also excellent in Awakenings.

Phone's ringing, Dude.
September 29, 2019, 06:57 PM
whanson_wi
Ronald Reagan. Can't get much more serious than being POTUS.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.
September 30, 2019, 12:46 PM
Mr.9mm
Richard Belzer is another one who began as a comic and became Detective John Munch in Homicide Life on the Street and then Law and Order SVU.
September 30, 2019, 08:01 PM
AllenInAR
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I have no use for Will Ferrell but can't remember why.

Ferrell as a comic was only good in small doses. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" was about the most I could take of him. I couldn't tolerate "Talladega Nights" or "Step Brothers" or anything he starred in....

Until "Everything Must Go". There are funny (more like bittersweet) parts in it, but he does a great job of portraying a guy whose life is just falling down around him.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
October 01, 2019, 07:43 AM
divil
Many good examples already stated. I do want to say that in my opinion regarding Robin Williams, of my 3 favorite movies of his, only 1 is him in a comedic role (Best of Times). Otherwise, Dead Poets Society and particularly Insomnia show some real acting chops.
October 01, 2019, 08:36 AM
kkina
Pat Morita. From Arnold on Happy Days to wise old Mr. Miyagi in The Karate Kid movies.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
October 01, 2019, 09:38 AM
erj_pilot
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Ferrell as a comic was only good in small doses.
Agreed. In comedic roles in movies, a little bit of Will Ferrell goes a looooooooooooong way.
[/DRIFT]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
October 01, 2019, 10:27 AM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Might be the reverse of what you're asking, but I remember seeing Leslie Neilson in a serious role and kindof laughing - because I'd only ever seen him in goofy roles. Maybe it was that classic SciFi movie - I've forgotten the name.

Neilson was a leading man early in his career, but never a wildly popular one. Turning to comedy was career genius for him.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
October 01, 2019, 10:29 AM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
Though he certainly still has some humorous scenes, I'd say Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Azbw8xsFPg" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Micheal McKean, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
October 01, 2019, 02:26 PM
erj_pilot
David Schwimmer...

Ross Geller to Capt. Herbert Sobel

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
October 01, 2019, 02:52 PM
rainman64
Harold Ramis has done some good, albeit small, serious roles.

As good as It Gets
Stealing Home