SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Impressive Performances by an Actor or Actress
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impressive Performances by an Actor or Actress Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Sandra Bullock in Blind Side.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Tom Hulce in Amadeus. Remember...just 6 years prior to Amadeus, he played friggin' Otter in Animal House. Big Grin

F. Murray Abraham gets an honorable mention for his role in this movie as well.

Another pair I'd like to give credence to is Sissy Spacek and Beverly D'Angelo in "Coal Miner's Daughter". I know other actors have sung their own parts, but this was the first movie I saw where the actresses actually sang in their role. Wonderful, WONDERFUL job by those two...the sound track was AMAZING!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
Heath Ledger as the Joker.

I had totally forgotten about this performance. Again, the role was played so well you forgot who the actor was.

Lots of interesting feedback from forum members and several movies I need to watch.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Ian McShane in Deadwood.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart.

Agreed. Really good movie and Bridges was excellent.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Most things Robert Duvall is in but him and Tommy Lee Jones in Lonesome Dove were both epic performances. Duvall himself has said he feels it was his best performance. Robert Urich and Danny Glover get honorable mentions as well.

Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption.

Sidney Poitier in Lillies Of The Field

Robert Mitchum in Cape Fear

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Anthony Hopkins in The World's Fastest Indian
Robert Shaw in Jaws
Christoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote
Paul Giamatti as John Adams

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I think Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury makes the cut.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Tom Hulce in Amadeus. Remember...just 6 years prior to Amadeus, he played friggin' Otter in Animal House. Big Grin

Hulce didn't play Otter.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Hulce didn't play Otter.

Bluto: Your Delta Tau Chi name is... Pinto.
Pinto: Why Pinto?
Bluto: Why not!?!

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Louise Fletcher as Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

I wanted to choke the shit out of that bitch.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1930 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Anthony Hopkins in "The World's Fastest Indian" about NZ racing legend Burt Munro. I've watched it 2 or 3 times.

Oh and I can't wait for the first interview performances of Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin...

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Hulce didn't play Otter.

DOH! Musta been drunk...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Robert Duval in Lonesome Dove. He put in another outstanding performance in The Judge.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yet another vote for Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove. Perfect in the role. Tommy Lee Jones's Call, too.

Marlon Brando-- On the Waterfront, Streetcar Named Desire, and The Godfather

Peter O'Toole, Anthony Quinn, and most of the other leading roles in Lawrence of Arabia.

Kathy Bates in Misery.

Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.

Most anything that Gary Oldman takes on.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Denzel Washington in "Glory" as Pvt. Trip.

Edward Norton in "Primal Fear" as Roy (or Aaron)

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Showing my age but Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard. I watch it every time it's on. Drives my wife nuts.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
George C Scott > Patton
Russell Crowe > Gladiator
Daniel Day Lewis > Lincoln

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dennis franz- Andy sipowicz
carroll o'conner as Archie B.
Maureen Stapleton as Edith B.
Michael Clarke Duncan as John Coffey
Paul Newman as luke
john Wayne in 3 god fathers
jimmie stewart , it's a wonderful life
Anthony Hopkins, silence of the lambs

Denzel in Training day and man on fire

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post