SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Impressive Performances by an Actor or Actress
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impressive Performances by an Actor or Actress Login/Join 
posted
Most times when watching an actor/actress, I don't see a huge transformation in their personalities. Their role may be that of a detective or a gangster or a business man but seldom do they transform themselves into a character so completely different that you forget who the actors are.

A few movies I revisited recently with actors that impressed the hell of of me were Billy Bob Thornton's "Sling Blade", Tom Hank's "Philadelphia" and Charlize Theron's "Monster". The performances of these actors were of such quality that I cannot imagine anyone else in the rolls.

Whose impressive performances are on your list?

BTW, in a lesser roll, how many of you knew that W. Earl Brown, aka Dan Dority of Deadwood fame, played Mary's brother Warren in "There's Something About Mary"?

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Daniel Day Lewis in just about everything but especially Lincoln.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Casey Affleck as Robert Ford in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

This reflects my feelings- "Born to play the role":

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I believe that Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in "Darkest Hour" fits the bill.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I was always impressed with many of the performances Marylin Chambers performed.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Glenn Ford in the original 3:10 to Yuma.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dennis Quaid as Doc Holliday. Amazing resemblance!
And Jeff Bridges is consistently good. He is The Dude.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I first saw Leonardo Dicaprio in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and I was floored. As annoying as he can be, I've respected his work since. He's had good advice on selecting scripts so that helps.

Jennifer Lawrence moved me just as much in "Winter's Bone". She's been increasingly harder to enjoy since, not a disaster but yeah, a pantload for sure and it's hard to see past the reality of Jennifer Lawrence.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Jim Gandolfini as Tony Soprano.

Also:

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Melinda Dillon as Theresa, in Absence of Malice.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Sean Penn in Mystic River.
John Hurt in the Elephant Man.
Wilhelm Dafoe in Platoon.
Kathleen Turner in Body Heat.
Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke.
Denzel Washington in Training Day.
Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Melinda Dillon as Theresa, in Absence of Malice.
Good pick. That's an awesome flick.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Deniro in Taxi Driver.

Bale in American Psycho.

Daniel Day Lewis and Phillip Seymour Hoffman in anything they’ve done.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Mary Tyler Moore in Ordinary People.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone. He frankly never really impressed me as an actor but he OWNS that role!

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
George C. Scott as Patton.

Sir Anthony Hopkins in "Remains of the Day".

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bridges in just about any role he plays and Ian McShane as Al Swearengen.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Christian Bale in The Fighter.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post