SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
Finally some real news.
Bottas to Mercedes and Massa out of a real short retirement for a last year at Williams.
Bottas is getting the chance of a lifetime. Now he's got to perform.
Massa is getting another years paycheck. I hope it's not a big mistake. I doubt he needs the money that bad so I guess he really didn't want to quit just yet.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I have to think Bottas is a short term fix. Another year and better options should open up. Nothing against Bottas but I've never seen that much from him. At best I expect him to be a fairly reliable points getter.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A lot of people thought he was going to be a future star when he arrived in F1.
So far he has looked anywhere from so so to looking like he could make the break through. Unfortunately he hasn't had the car and team to make that happen.
He now has several years of experience under his belt and likely the best car on the grid. Now is the time to show what he's got.
This time next year we should have the answer.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it was the Williams car holding Bottas back, excited to see what he can do in a pack leading car.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... and Bernie is out. 40 years.
Now titled as 'Chairman Emeritus'.

Liberty appointed Chase Carey os CEO of F1.

I'm looking for some new changes to make the sport much improved and more watchable; and competitive.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of my thoughts.

I not convinced the 2017 rule changes are going to facilitate the changes that people anticipate.

The bigger wider cars are theoretically 5-7 secs. a lap faster. We're going to a dramatic increase in qualifying speeds for sure. I don't think the FIA have allowed enough additional fuel to take full advantage of the increased grip over a full race distance.

The Mercedes domination will continue. The increase in drag/downforce from the larger tires and bodywork will only accentuate the Tristars power advantage.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
The Mercedes domination will continue

That seems to be the conventional wisdom. I'm hoping for some real competition but not that optimistic. The new poohbahs can't be that thrilled.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
The Mercedes domination will continue

That seems to be the conventional wisdom. I'm hoping for some real competition but not that optimistic. The new poohbahs can't be that thrilled.

Likely, but the new 2017 regs may give a little shuffle to the order.
Also, McLaren's progress last season may put them at the front of the mid-field this year.

Hopefully Marussia Manor can get some backing & be on the grid again this year as well.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ross Braun ... huzzah!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Not sure what they expect him to do. New regulations this year and power trains locked in for several years.
The problem is not allowing much development so Mercedes likely will continue to lead with a large power advantage.
Hopefully Honda can make a big improvement this winter and the Red Bull's great aerodynamics can somewhat overcome the power deficit.
Ferrari is a real question mark. They seem to be going slightly backwards lately.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Renault supposedly has a redesigned engine, be nice to see them in the mix again.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Renault supposedly has a redesigned engine, be nice to see them in the mix again.

IIRC, Msr. A. Newey said the new Tag Heuer was an improvement. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
lol.........

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
So, for a guy just looking to get into watching F1, when does the race season begin and typically what channels will I be able to watch it on?

Thanks

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.foxsports.com/motor/schedule?circuit=1

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
NBCSN has most.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
So, for a guy just looking to get into watching F1, when does the race season begin and typically what channels will I be able to watch it on?

Thanks

Probably the most active F1 forum --

http://forums.autosport.com/forum/2-racing-comments/

Eurocentric to be sure but that's fine. Like any other, you'll have to separate the wheat from the chaff, fun and infuriating.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Sauber just released a picture of their new entry. http://www.crash.net/f1/news/2...017-c36-ferrari.html

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Loving the 2017 look.
The Williams FW40 is still drool-worthy in the Martini livery.

Williams FW40

Sauber C36

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
That Williams car is stunning. I've watched F1 in passing and never really followed it but now I can't wait.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post