SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE: Ferrari PU:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...ed-cheating-scandal/

quote:

F1 steward Mika Salo has told fellow Finn Kristian Sohlberg that Ferrari was made to “use less fuel” as part of their punishment from the 2019 “cheating” scandal.

Ferrari courted controversy in 2019 when rivals raised questions about the Scuderia’s much-improved power unit.

Blatantly accused of “cheating” by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, the FIA launched an investigation that led to Technical Directives being issued regarding fuel flow and oil burning.

Ferrari’s engine lost power and the Scuderia – as well as its customer teams – suffered as a result.

Months later, prior to the start of the 2020 season, after what the FIA called a “thorough technical investigation”, motorsport’s governing body reached a secret agreement with Ferrari.

As to be expected, Ferrari’s rivals were not happy and to this day want details of the settlement to be revealed.

One part of that may have just been leaked by former driver turned steward Salo.

Speaking to Finnish rally driver Sohlberg during a Twitch stream interview, the question of what went wrong for Ferrari and its customer teams came up.

Last year, all three Ferrari-powered teams struggled to match their 2019 pace, losing the most lap time of all the teams on the grid.

Soymotor quotes Salo as having said: “They suffered from Ferrari’s cheat last year because they had Ferrari engines and were forced to use less fuel, so I think so Alfa Romeo may be in a good position if they can perform at their best in the race this season.”

Sohlberg: “So Ferrari’s getting out a new engine, right?”

Salo: “I don’t know if it’s a new engine but they’re allowed to use it to its full power. They were not allowed last year because of Ferrari.”

Ferrari slumped to sixth in last year’s Constructors’ Championship, the Scuderia failing to win a single grand prix, while Alfa Romeo were eighth and Haas P9.

Alfa Romeo boss Fred Vasseur believes Ferrari will “recover” a lot of last year’s lost pace.

“The collaboration with Ferrari is, I think, going very well,” he said at the launch of the C41.

“We had a strong meeting, a long meeting over the winter to cover the points of last year when perhaps we didn’t do the perfect job.

“We are on a good path. I think on their side, they will recover probably a large part of the issue we had last year, and collaboration is getting better and better.”

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
RE: Ferrari PU:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...ed-cheating-scandal/

quote:

F1 steward Mika Salo has told fellow Finn Kristian Sohlberg that Ferrari was made to “use less fuel” as part of their punishment from the 2019 “cheating” scandal.

Ferrari courted controversy in 2019 when rivals raised questions about the Scuderia’s much-improved power unit.

Blatantly accused of “cheating” by Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, the FIA launched an investigation that led to Technical Directives being issued regarding fuel flow and oil burning.

Ferrari’s engine lost power and the Scuderia – as well as its customer teams – suffered as a result.

Months later, prior to the start of the 2020 season, after what the FIA called a “thorough technical investigation”, motorsport’s governing body reached a secret agreement with Ferrari.

As to be expected, Ferrari’s rivals were not happy and to this day want details of the settlement to be revealed.

One part of that may have just been leaked by former driver turned steward Salo.

Speaking to Finnish rally driver Sohlberg during a Twitch stream interview, the question of what went wrong for Ferrari and its customer teams came up.

Last year, all three Ferrari-powered teams struggled to match their 2019 pace, losing the most lap time of all the teams on the grid.

Soymotor quotes Salo as having said: “They suffered from Ferrari’s cheat last year because they had Ferrari engines and were forced to use less fuel, so I think so Alfa Romeo may be in a good position if they can perform at their best in the race this season.”

Sohlberg: “So Ferrari’s getting out a new engine, right?”

Salo: “I don’t know if it’s a new engine but they’re allowed to use it to its full power. They were not allowed last year because of Ferrari.”

Ferrari slumped to sixth in last year’s Constructors’ Championship, the Scuderia failing to win a single grand prix, while Alfa Romeo were eighth and Haas P9.

Alfa Romeo boss Fred Vasseur believes Ferrari will “recover” a lot of last year’s lost pace.

“The collaboration with Ferrari is, I think, going very well,” he said at the launch of the C41.

“We had a strong meeting, a long meeting over the winter to cover the points of last year when perhaps we didn’t do the perfect job.

“We are on a good path. I think on their side, they will recover probably a large part of the issue we had last year, and collaboration is getting better and better.”

Mika Salo very quickly walked that back.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...i-cheating-comments/

“I realise that a few comments I made on Twitch a few days ago has been interpreted in a misleading way,” Salo said.

“I would like to clarify that I have no knowledge of the agreement, or any kind of agreement, between the FIA and Ferrari. We only talked about what has been in the press and media before.

“It was a stupid joke and just an informal conversation between two friends.

“All I can say is that I really have no clue on any sort of contract and even I knew any confidential information I would not say it to you guys.”

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Williams/Mercedes FW43B

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like the look of the Williams sitting still. How it looks at speed can be much different so we’ll have to wait until they’re on track.
Sounds like the Haas may have a different look soon. The Russian flag look isn’t going over well due to the ban from their doping scandal.
Their boy seems to come with a lot of baggage, and they haven’t even started. Also comes with a lot of rubbles.
Drive to Survive 3 out soon too.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Aston Martin to supply Safety Car (Vantage) & Medical Car (DBX), along with the current MB SC & MC.
MB cars are red instead of silver for 2021.

posted Hide Post
That AM Vantage is a pretty car.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t get why they changed the color of the MB cars to red. Silver has historically been the Mercedes color.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t get why they changed the color of the MB cars to red. Silver has historically been the Mercedes color.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...xEkmJXmwkvrp3Tu.html

quote:

Mercedes, who have supplied the official Safety Cars since 1996 (and are sharing Safety Car appearances for the first time since then), have a new look this season with their AMG GT R Safety Car and C 63 S Estate Medical Car both dressed in red, which is synonymous with the German marque's Rote Sau racing car.

Mercedes Rote Sau aka: Red Pig

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ferrari SF21

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Now that all 10 have been shown off (assuming there are no livery changes before the first race):

Alpine, Alfa & Aston are probably the best, IMO.
McLaren, Red Bull & Mercedes good but not amazing
AlphaTauri, Haas, Williams & Ferrari, just meh. Don't care for the green on the SF21.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I rather like the Ferrari. It’s got to be rosso corsa, but the transition to burgundy at the back is cool, as is the black “waterline.” A Ferrari is gonna look like a Ferrari, but I think they did a great job of making it interesting.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I never cared for the Mission Winnow branding anyway, so making it green doesn't improve it.

Wish they did a more subtle transition to the burgundy.

posted Hide Post
Even last year, when Ferrari sucked, the car looked good. I’m in for the double disappointment this year. The green looks stupid (looks more like Monster energy slashes to me) and don’t care for the burgundy at all.

posted Hide Post
This is definitely NOT the prettiest Ferrari F-1 car I have seen over the years. Hopefully it's performance will make up for it.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bahrain Pre-Season Testing: Day 1
https://www.formula1.com/en/la...hQJQUPzslBWeIBO.html

quote:

As a sandstorm engulfed the Bahrain International Circuit on the afternoon of day one of pre-season testing, Max Verstappen went fastest for Red Bull – but Mercedes struggled with a gearbox issue and then a lack of pace, finishing the day with just 48 laps, the fewest of all the teams.

Verstappen enjoyed the whole day in the Red Bull RB16B – with team mate Sergio Perez set to drive on Saturday – and finished the morning third, before improving under the floodlights to take first with a fastest time of 1m30.626s on mediums. Bar a spin in the first session, Verstappen's Friday was incident-free.

When afternoon running began the wind was whipping up sand all over the track, robbing the drivers of grip. But later in the day, as the floodlights punched through the darkening sky, conditions cooled and grip increased leading to a late flurry of fast laps. That left Lando Norris second overall for McLaren on mediums, Esteban Ocon third for Alpine on soft tyres and Aston Martin's Lance Stroll fourth with a late effort on prototype Pirelli mediums. Morning leader Daniel Ricciardo finished seventh overall for McLaren.

As for Mercedes, a gearbox issue in the morning meant 17th-place Valtteri Bottas could only complete six laps overall – much to the chagrin of Team Principal Toto Wolff. Lewis Hamilton (10th fastest) took over in the afternoon but added just 42 laps to Mercedes' total, as he failed to make use of the favourable evening conditions and seemed to be struggling for grip and pace. Verstappen, on the other hand, managed 139 laps in all.

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz also improved under the lights and finished fifth, having taken over from 11th-place finisher Charles Leclerc in the afternoon. Behind Sainz was sixth-place Alfa Romeo driver Antonio Giovinazzi, who ran in the afternoon after 12th-place Kimi Raikkonen took the morning session.

AlphaTauri's productive day continued with rookie Yuki Tsunoda making his pre-season testing debut in the Honda-powered AT02. He took ninth overall, half a second off eighth-place team mate Pierre Gasly who ran in the morning.

Sebastian Vettel kicked off testing for Aston Martin in the morning and finished 13th overall, ahead of Williams' sole day one runner, test driver Roy Nissany.

Haas revealed their VF-21 in the morning and Mick Schumacher then set his first times, albeit with a gearbox issue hampering his running. He managed just 15 laps to finish 16th, with new team mate Nikita Mazepin taking over in the afternoon to complete 70 laps and finish 15th fastest.

Bottas, who only managed to turn six laps with aero rakes on his car, rounded out the standings in P17. The Finn returns on Saturday afternoon as Hamilton takes the wheel in the morning.

Soon, Bahrain's floodlights will switch off and give way to a bright Saturday morning, in which Fernando Alonso will make his Alpine debut, Sergio Perez will take the wheel of Red Bull's RB16B and Nicholas Latifi will drive for Williams – while reigning champions Mercedes have it all to do.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like session 2 was about 2 seconds quicker than 1.
So far the McLaren is looking decent with new power. Mercedes had gearbox trouble in session 1 (Bottas) so not much running for him.
Beyond that it's hard to tell much at this point. The drivers that did both sessions had the large lap count. Most teams split the sessions between their drivers.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
In reality, we'll see where things stand in 15 days at the end of Q3 (or maybe in 14 days during FP2).
Just glad to have cars running again!

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Seem McLaren’s decision to build their own gearbox was a good call. Saw a segment from McLaren talking about how they were just a customer and just took the PU, but sourced everything else themselves. They specifically talked about the gearbox.

Still no way to draw any conclusions.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just got notice that Murray Walker has passed
Frown
RIP

posted Hide Post
Well, it looks like Merc and Hammy may have real competition this year. As much as I’d love to see them beat, I’m conflicted because it seems that Max is the one likely to do it. I think Max is as much, if not more, of an insufferable jerk than Hammy. But if it denies Hammy and Merc another title......

Also, Ferrari seems likely to have another bad year. Think they got engine power back from last year, but others have improved more. I’d rate Ferrari behind RBR, McLaren, and Merc (I think they have some issues to sort out, but believe that they will sort them out fairly quickly). Ferrari may even have problems with AM and AT.