SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    what are you reading?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what are you reading? Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading David Baldacci's 'End Game' and about 3/4 the way through it. Typical good read of his.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I decided to read some of the Hardy Boys I have on my book shelf.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Just about to finish up American Gods. And as Ive already read Neuromancer, I figure I’ll finish up William Gibson’s Sprawl Trilogy next.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Arredondo, Last Spanish Ruler of Texas and Northeastern New Spain by one Bradley Folsom. It's a good tale, especially if you ever wondered who taught Santa Anna (of Alamo infamy) how to be Santa Anna.

The downsides are that the book is a bit thin (the author could've done more to fit the biography into not just Mexican and Spanish history, but American and world history as well) and the author's a PC pantywaist. Beyond that, good stuff. It'll definitely also reinforce the lesson that Spain basically jumped from expelling the Moors directly into being the major power in the Americas, with all of the baggage that goes with making such a leap.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Just started Grant by Ron Chernow.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
IT by Stephen King. I have to reread this about once every decade.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.

EXCELLENT read about the D-Day landings in Normandy. Full of first-person accounts, enemy and allied points of view, etc. He is an outstanding author. The book is 700+ pages long, but it's a very easy read. . .
While I'm waiting for D-Day, I'm reading his
Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69.

Nothing like it in the world is by far my favorite Stephen Ambrose book. His Lewis and Clark book is great as well.

+1 to both. The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad is an excellent primer for anyone who watched Hell On Wheels.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

https://www.amazon.com/Churchi...ricks/dp/1250119022/

I watched a documentary on that. Fascinating.

Fascinating is right. I wish it had gone on for a bit further into the war.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Washington: A Life on Audible by Ron Chernow. Before that, Grant also by Chernow.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neptunes Inferno - James Hornfischer.
(battles of Guadalcanal)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Re-reading some of Tom Clancy's original works. (Originally read these maybe 15-20 years ago). Just finished Red Storm Rising, The Hunt for Red October, & The Sum of All Fears. Just started The Cardinal of the Kremlin. They somehow seem better the second time through, especially after the 15-20 year time in between.

Edit to add recently read Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Fascinating look at the topic from a simplified but interesting perspective.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Don Winslow's THE FORCE.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I’ve just completed 2 books back2back about rangers. Not Rangers, but rangers. Park rangers. The stories are real; so is the PTSD, mental breakdowns, danger, heartbreak and feelings of resentment towards the community they are sworn to protect.

I highly recommend both, there are so many similarities in what these folks deal with compared to Vets that I think most of you will find quite a bit that resonate with you. Some of the recuse missions (wins and losses) described in Ranger Confidential get pretty honest and gruesome, so be warned.

Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks by Andrea Langford
I would consider this a woman’s perspective of the “there we were” type books that so many Vets like to write. She’s seen it all in the Grand Cannon; death, crime, suicide, bear attacks, entitles BASE jumpers, you name it.

The Last Season by Eric Blehm
The Last Season tells the true story of the life and disappearance of Randy Morgenson who, over the course of twenty-eight summers spent in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains, became arguably the most celebrated ranger in the National Park Service’s most adventurous SAR unit.
He eventually went ‘native’ on the bit and disappeared, causing the same type of dangerous search for him by his peers and friends, that he had executed so many times in the past.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I liked the work that Mark Greaney did on the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan, Jr. series, so I thought I'd give the "Gray Man' a try and bought the first three books in the series. I am now on the third book and to be honest, I'm not overly impressed and I'm having a hard time getting through the third book.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I liked the work that Mark Greaney did on the Tom Clancy Jack Ryan, Jr. series, so I thought I'd give the "Gray Man' a try and bought the first three books in the series. I am now on the third book and to be honest, I'm not overly impressed and I'm having a hard time getting through the third book.

They all stay pretty much the same, if you are not grooving on them, you are probably better off beginning a new series.

Similar genre:
The Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn
These are more modern times/CIA type books.

The Jack reacher books by Lee Child
These are more Kane from Kung Fu wandering from town-to-town and getting into adventures books.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

They all stay pretty much the same, if you are not grooving on them, you are probably better off beginning a new series.

Similar genre:

These are more Kane from Kung Fu wandering from town-to-town and getting into adventures books.

I was into Mitch Rapp until Vince Flynn passed away and haven't read any of the Rapp series since. I'm generally a little leery of new authors taking over a well established series.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

Similar genre:

I was into Mitch Rapp until Vince Flynn passed away and haven't read any of the Rapp series since. I'm generally a little leery of new authors taking over a well established series.

Ya know…he actually did a pretty good job channeling what Vince would probably have wanted. The ‘new’ guy recently announced that the current book being released will be his last for the series.

I lost part of my love for the series when Flynn died. He was a regular participant on talk radio in Minnesota and ran very conservative; he wrote Rapp very much how he wished things could be done in real life. For me Mitch Rapp became just another character after cancer stole Vince Flynn from us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
FWIW, there's a 32 page thread about reading here...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/7300027024

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to Read Ghost Rider by Neil Peart but it’s just too dry for me. I gave it to the kid today because he gave me Off the Rails by Rudy Sarzo for Father’s Day. I am enjoying it.

Posts: 951 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Ambrose definitely had a knack for writing readable works. Everything he wrote is generally enjoyable.
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.

EXCELLENT read about the D-Day landings in Normandy. Full of first-person accounts, enemy and allied points of view, etc. He is an outstanding author. The book is 700+ pages long, but it's a very easy read. . .
While I'm waiting for D-Day, I'm reading his
Nothing Like It in the World: The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-69.

Nothing like it in the world is by far my favorite Stephen Ambrose book. His Lewis and Clark book is great as well.

Phone's ringing, Dude.