Notify
Tools

C3PO Poll Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I wish there were a box between "annoying" and "hate him".

I went with annoying.

It's entirely possible there is some bias in the poll. . . Wink

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dig C3PO. He's the consistent bass line that ties the whole thing together. He's the easy source of exposition when necessary.

I'm not sure why Anakin building droids is hard to accept... you're watching a large budget Saturday morning movie serial with spacecraft that travel faster than light and personal weapons that use cohesive light that somehow ends at three feet. In their galaxy, there IS sound in space. A ten year old building droids seems hum drum in comparison.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Really jar jar preferential to 3PO?

I don’t agree and neither does your poll so might be better to fly to LA and buy a picket sign.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

I don’t agree and neither does your poll so might be better to fly to LA and buy a picket sign.

Well, I never said that mine was the only valid opinion. And the poll right now shows more people hating him than loving him (7-4), and more people kind of hating him than kind of liking him (15-13). The majority, 43%, are in the 'meh' zone.

Eh. To each his own. I fully understand that my opinions are not shared by everybody. That's the reason that I launched the poll. I sincerely wanted to see if others hated him as much as me.

I despise Jar Jar, but I do hate 'little Anakin' more than anybody else in the entire Star Wars universe. Really, Ep 1 was a children's movie, aimed at a 10-yr old audience. They never really took the movies seriously. What made the original 3 movies so great is that they are 'adult' movies, aimed at an adult audience. Ep 2 was aimed at a 12-14 yr old audience with all the crappy mushy HORRIBLE dialog and forced situations between Anakin and Panda. Ep 3 was the least sucky one of the prequels, but even that was nowhere NEAR the quality of the original 3 movies.

Lucas was an amateur hack, and the prequels (the first Star Wars movies where he had total creative control) just plain sucked. The best one, Empire, is supposedly the movie that he had the LEAST amount of control over. I think Lucas did a wonderful job with launching the Star Wars universe, but the prequels showed that he is NOT the 'creative genius' that people have made him out to be. . .

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for a droid character to fall in love w/, check out "Chopper" from Star Wars Rebels. You'll forget all about CP3o

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Little Anakin and Jar Jar both can suck start a laser blaster, for all I care. They're terrible.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Well, I never said that mine was the only valid opinion. And the poll right now shows more people hating him than loving him (7-4), and more people kind of hating him than kind of liking him (15-13). The majority, 43%, are in the 'meh' zone.

Eh. To each his own. I fully understand that my opinions are not shared by everybody. That's the reason that I launched the poll. I sincerely wanted to see if others hated him as much as me.

I despise Jar Jar, but I do hate 'little Anakin' more than anybody else in the entire Star Wars universe. Really, Ep 1 was a children's movie, aimed at a 10-yr old audience. They never really took the movies seriously. What made the original 3 movies so great is that they are 'adult' movies, aimed at an adult audience. Ep 2 was aimed at a 12-14 yr old audience with all the crappy mushy HORRIBLE dialog and forced situations between Anakin and Panda. Ep 3 was the least sucky one of the prequels, but even that was nowhere NEAR the quality of the original 3 movies.

Lucas was an amateur hack, and the prequels (the first Star Wars movies where he had total creative control) just plain sucked. The best one, Empire, is supposedly the movie that he had the LEAST amount of control over. I think Lucas did a wonderful job with launching the Star Wars universe, but the prequels showed that he is NOT the 'creative genius' that people have made him out to be. . .

“Meh” means they don’t agree with and do not consider to be such a travesty that you do.

I think you over any analyze all this entirely too much for one. Lucas was an amateur hack? Really that’s what you think. I’m not real found of his prequels either but I could never call him a hack, ever. He came up with all of this shit, and it’s entertainment at the end of the day, it is not a religion. That hack also walked away with a few billion dollars from Disney. Not bad for a “hack.” To me, he created something unique, and special, and extremely inventive. You know how hard and difficult it was to come up with all this shit, then make it into a film, get a studio onboard and get it into the theaters? That’s a lot of work and far too much work to be called a hack. Making just one film is an exercise in futility and extremely difficult. Kubrick would work for years on one single film. While Lucas is no Kubrick, he also took quite long breaks between films due to the difficulty. The man is not a hack. Let us all know when you create a new idea, turn it into a film and get it into theaters. Something that bedazzles American Culture, influences other sci fi directors for decades, and inspires millions. Don’t worry, we will wait.

Like Anakin, I think you just have too much hate inside you. “I hate this and that, and this and that, and this sucked, and that sucked, and all of this over here it sucks!”
Geez man. I see so much anger in you. I was no fan of the prequels but there were some excellent scenes and points in all of them that I got to take away from all 3 films. Phantom Menace had Darth Maul. And it had Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and a beautiful Natalie Portman. Each of those films had some cool stuff, and some negative stuff. I didn’t care for really any of them, but my goodness that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. If the droid bothers you so much don’t watch them any longer. Instead find something positive you like. 3PO was in the beginning of Star Wars and has been around since. Deal with it or move on. It’s not Cancer. I didn’t think Rogue One was some return to the original magic either. I thought it was cash grab filler. I was not upset that I spent my hard money to see it, because there was some cool stuff in it. Same for TFA, bit cheesy and predictable, plot line too similar to the first one, and I loathe JJ’s directing. But hey it’s a star wars film. Don’t expect too much so you won’t be disappointed. I bought a ticket for the new one, and I’ll go in there the same as I did the last two, don’t expect too much because it’s not going to be ANH, or ESB. Enjoy whatever you can get of it or just skip it if it bothers all so much.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I feel Meh about him from an entertainment, but I feel he is necessary (peripherally and in an extremely limited way), in all of the movies. Robots can liver forever with maintenance, so I love the way he has such perpetual capabilities to tie things together. Along with R2 of course.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
It's odd...if you click "Show Poll Results" in the OP and look sideways at the poll result chart, there seems to be a subliminal message.

Can't figure out to whom it is intended, though....

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hated the whole story arc regarding Anakin building him. It's unforgiveable, and when Lucas faces Judgement, God may very well send him to hell for this, as it seems unpardonable.

The prequels are unforgivable along with reinventing history with "Han didn't shoot first".

Lucas was a one trick pony who got lucky. Along with Hamill and Fischer. Never were able to step out of their one hit wonders, or at least it was always a shadow over them.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
It's odd...if you click "Show Poll Results" in the OP and look sideways at the poll result chart, there seems to be a subliminal message.

Star Destroyer?

Bell curve?

Egyptian pyramid?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Darth Maul. And it had Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor

Terrible choices, all three. Darth Maul is the least scary, goofiest looking, bad guy in ages, and the last thing the prequels needed was famous faces like Liam, Ewan, and Samuel L Jackson and their famous personas getting in the way of suspension of disbelief. Not a second of Sam's screen time went by without expecting a "motherfucker" to drop. Great actors, each of them, but exceptionally poor choices for this franchise, IMO, and Darth Maul is about as intimidating and believable as Alf.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I hated the whole story arc regarding Anakin building him. It's unforgiveable, and when Lucas faces Judgement, God may very well send him to hell for this, as it seems unpardonable.

The prequels are unforgivable along with reinventing history with "Han didn't shoot first".

Lucas was a one trick pony who got lucky. Along with Hamill and Fischer. Never were able to step out of their one hit wonders, or at least it was always a shadow over them.

At least Mark Hamill went on to do a LOT of voices in various animated shows. His joker from the animated Batman shows is excellent. The only other two live action movies I have seen him in were "Corvette Summer" and "The Big Red One." The first was ok (I was smitten with Annie Potts), and the latter is one of my favorite WWII movies, but that is mainly due to Lee Marvin (Hamill had a relatively minor role in that film).

Sometimes, of course, all you really need is that 'one hit.' There are a lot of songs that I love which are one hit wonders (Cameo's "Word Up," Falco's "Rock Me Amadeus," 'Til Tuesday's "Voices Carry," etc). I, like most of us here, have never had ANY hits, in music or cinema. That doesn't invalidate our right to bicker and moan about trivial stuff on the internet. I did give Lucas credit for launching one of the most influential sci-fi platforms of all time; I'm just saying that he's not the genius people make him out to be. Star Wars was a theatrical sensation due to Lucas AND the work of many other people; it wasn't Lucas all by himself (although, he was incredibly forward thinking (or lucky) in getting merchandise rights to the original Star Wars; it was the first movie that really made tons of money off spin-off products and toys).

I, like many, want a Blu-Ray THEATRICAL release of the original three movies without all the extra CGI crap crammed into every scene, and where they don't fundamentally change the mood of pivotal scenes such as Vader's pathetic "Big No" when he chucks the Emperor over the railing or the ridiculous contrived plot change where Greedo shoots first at Han (from 4' and MISSES). Lucas downright REFUSED to give us this, as he seemed to contemptuously ignore the wants and desires of the very fan base that made him a billionaire.

This video sums up the hate on the prequels and Lucas' attitude nicely.

I don't hate people. I never said I hate Lucas. I hate what he has done to the franchise. And, yeah, it's just a movie. I get it. And one of my character flaws is that I get overly concerned and vocal about movies and tv shows. I'm not the only one that laments the cancellation of Firefly, for example.

Star Wars has always been my secondary sci-fi addiction, anyway. Star Trek has always been #1, but Star Trek is practically dead now. They stopped coming out with new stories after Voyager ended (in 2001) and the movie ST: Nemesis (2002!!!), and have since done NOTHING but prequels. So much for carrying the story forward with new ideas and plots Roll Eyes . The last 3 Star Trek entries are ALL set in the 'past' (ST: Enterprise, the NuTrek JJ Abrams movies, and the new pay-per-view ST: Discovery).

quote:
I was no fan of the prequels but there were some excellent scenes and points in all of them that I got to take away from all 3 films.

That's the point. There are just a FEW good things in the 3 prequels. Darth Maul was an excellent character full of potential, but was killed off after one real fight. They actually resurrected him in the Expanded Universe materials somehow (apparently, being cleaved in twain isn't as fatal as it looks Smile ). Ep 1 also had some really good visuals. Ep 2 had Christopher Lee; he was always a great actor, and I can't imagine him ever doing poorly in ANY role. Ep 3 did a fairly good job with Order 66, and General Grievous was a good villain. That's the problem; the movies did indeed suck, and instead of 3 great movies like Eps 4-6, we have to pick out the little good bits with a tweezer from Eps 1-3. They were horrible movies with SOME good parts.

The idea of having a 10-yr old Darth Vader is fundamentally flawed. I think it was a blatant marketing scheme (trying to get all the little kids to buy SW merch). Nobody was really asking the question "Yeah, but what was Darth Vader, one of the 10 most imposing screen villains of all time, like when he was a snot-nosed runt kid?" My wife and I watched Ep 2 in the theater, and were literally laughing out loud over the contrived 'romantic' scenes ("When I'm around you I can't breathe; please tell me if you are in such agony"). The movies were shallow, overly-dependent upon CGI, and full of contrived conveniences and bad plot elements that simply overloaded my suspension of disbelief (having 3PO built by Anakin, his 'virgin birth,' the ability of a being to use The Force simply determined by the amount of microscopic critters in the bloodstream, R2 and 3PO being EVERYWHERE in all 3 movies, etc).

Perhaps "hack" was too strong of a word. Fine. However, I have yet to see anybody truly defend Eps 1-3 as 'Great' movies at the same level of quality and cultural impact as the original trilogy. The prequels COULD HAVE BEEN great. I honestly never watch them, unless I'm channel surfing and nothing else is on or my wife is in control of the remote. I could really never watch them again and not miss anything substantially important to the Star Wars universe. The prequels simply exposed Lucas' limitations as a movie maker, and emphasize my belief that the original trilogy NEVER would have been as great were it not for the efforts of many others who took Lucas' ideas and made them into a cinematic masterpiece.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The prequels failed when you could determine force via a blood test.

Lol.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not the only one that laments the cancellation of Firefly, for example.

Grab the pitchforks!

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Star Destroyer?

Bell curve?

Egyptian pyramid?

At last view, it looked like the sort of 'flying fickle finger of fate' that might precede a road rage incident, but, yeah, lets go with quantized bell curve. Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

It actually did take me about a half hour to 'get it.' Cool

Here's a test of Lucas' filmmaking abilities. He remastered the original trilogy. He crammed unnecessary CGI into every conceivable blank background space (turning the Sarlac into Seymour the murder plant from "Little Shop of Horrors"), changed music (the Ewok song and Jabba's Palace band, to name a few), and fundamentally changed several important scenes (Han shooting Greedo, Vader chucking Palpatine over the railing, etc). This was ALL his meddling. ALL his 'creative' abilities on display.

Does ANYBODY think that the remastered versions are better films than the original unmolested theatrical releases?

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Not that I agree with the changes, but I suspect many who didn't grow up with the originals think the changes and CGI additions are just fine if not awesome.

posted Hide Post
Everybody hates on the prequels and rightfully so, but Lucas lost it beginning with episode 6. He gave us the lame escape from Jabba comedy routine and the dismissal of the greatest bounty hunter in the Galaxy, like he was one of Jabba's lowly barge slaves. And then the Empire's Stormtroopers are defeated by cute, lovable teddy bears throwing rocks and sticks.
If you were at that theater in 1983 I was the horrified 13 year old crying into my popcorn, why George, why teddy bears? why?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3534 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
like him in the original movies. he was the right amount of comic relief, imo. thought he was ok in ep 7, as well. his "you may not recognize me" line in ep 7 made me laugh.

I've blocked the prequels out of memory.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post