SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Audible.com audio books recommendation needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible.com audio books recommendation needed Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
So far, I've downloaded the S-Town podcast and I am Bob.

Made it 200 miles to the sister in laws house for a get-together. Started listening to the S-Town podcast, which makes the wife laugh hysterically for some reason, even though the content is of a serious nature and not really comical so far.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look em all over tonight.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
The Name of the Wind Patrick Rothfuss

Big +1 for The Martian

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed all of the Bill Bryson books.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

I enjoyed this but

Another unfinished series with no end in sight and no new book in several years. Ugh.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Bernard Cornwell historical novels.
I recommend starting with his Saxon Chronicles series.

Very good books!
The TV series, not so much.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
quote:

I enjoyed this but

Another unfinished series with no end in sight and no new book in several years. Ugh.

This. Great series. It's a shame that the author decided he needed to be the next George R. R. Martin, piddling around with too many side projects for too many years while his much-loved main series gets neglected and goes unfinished.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Stephen King: The Gunslinger/Dark Tower series. This saga will get you back and forth across the country several times.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
As I've said before on these threads, if you like Audible, you also need to check out the Overdrive app.

It lets you borrow audiobooks and ebooks from public libraries for free. You will have to visit the library one time to get a library card, if you don't already have one, but after that you never need to physically visit the library.

I used to use two credits a month on Audible, but now only use 6 credits a year. If you contact customer service they will put you on a plan to get one credit every other month, instead of one each month.

It's very rare that I can't get the books I want through the library, and I'm saving $186 each year.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Mr Mercedes trilogy by Stephen King is pretty good.
I thought the first book was excellent, the second was good, and IMO, the last one was horrible.

Some good reads I can recommend:

Fiction
- Red Dragon by Thomas Harris (excellent story that is much better than Silence of the Lambs, and everything else by Harris has written is crap IMO)
- My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman
- Prince of Thieves by Chuck Hogan (it's the book the movie "The Town" was based on)
- Doctor Sleep by Stephen King (sequel to "The Shining" but only good if you've read The Shining not just watched the movie)

Non-Fiction
- The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel Brown
- Dead Wake by Erik Larson (about the sinking of the Lusitania
- Moneyball by Michael Lewis. I don't even like baseball, but thoroughly enjoyed that book
- Target Tokyo by James Scott. Excellent account of the "Doolittle" raid.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
The Way of Kings
The Aeronauts Windless
Sadman Slim Series
The Name of the Wind

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
quote:

I enjoyed this but

This. Great series. It's a shame that the author decided he needed to be the next George R. R. Martin, piddling around with too many side projects for too many years while his much-loved main series gets neglected and goes unfinished.

Amen brothers! But to be fair, he's trying to end it in three, not growing it to 9-13 ish. And then still not finishing it (ghost of "Robert Jordan" I'm talking to you!).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
The Way of Kings
The Aeronauts Windless
Sadman Slim Series
The Name of the Wind

Ooooh! Forgot The Aeronauts Windlass! I almost forgive Butcher for not finishing Dresden for this book and the new world he built.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
The Way of Kings
The Aeronauts Windless
Sadman Slim Series
The Name of the Wind

Ooooh! Forgot The Aeronauts Windlass! I almost forgive Butcher for not finishing Dresden for this book and the new world he built.

Not to be forgotten, Butchers codex alera is a fantasic series.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I listen to a lot of audio nonfiction.

Lately, I have enjoyed "Lawrence In Arabia" and "Who Built That?".

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6042 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I did not mind Will Wheaton till he went all lemming and jumped off the political cliff. I really have a hard time listening to him.

He didn't write Ready Player One, just narrated the audiobook (and did a fine job).

RP1 is the most fun I've ever had reading a book. Also, if you're between 40-50 the pop culture references really bring back a lot of half forgotten memories.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you're a fan of the Alien films, Audible's dramatization of Out of the Shadows is a lot of fun.

It's not a traditional audiobook. Instead, it's a full-fledged audio play, like the old radio dramas, complete with an ensemble cast, music, and sound effects. The authentic sound effects do an excellent job of capturing the "retro-futuristic" feel of the Alien films, especially the first one. The story is set between Alien and Aliens, and fills in Ripley's fate between the films.

(Note that there's a traditional "read" audiobook version of Out of the Shadows too. Instead, look for the one that says "An Audible Original Drama", like this: https://www.amazon.com/Alien-S...-Drama/dp/B01D07TQJA )

The dramatization for the sequel, River of Pain, comes out at the end of the month. It's set just before Aliens, and deals with the fate of the miners before the Colonial Marines' arrival. I already have it preordered.
https://www.amazon.com/Alien-R...rama/dp/B06XNSPCKP/

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I did not mind Will Wheaton till he went all lemming and jumped off the political cliff. I really have a hard time listening to him.

He didn't write Ready Player One, just narrated the audiobook (and did a fine job).

RP1 is the most fun I've ever had reading a book. Also, if you're between 40-50 the pop culture references really bring back a lot of half forgotten memories.

I still cant stand him after his lemmings trip. Sadly he is one of the few celebs i have a hard time seperating his political work from his buisnes work.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Bobiverse book 2, For We Are Many
is now available! Smile

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Sequel to We are Legion? Listening to that now and loving it. Ray Porter narrating this one also?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I couldnt even finish We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse Book 1)

It droned on and on and on and was just so damn boring.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post