SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Country Music by Ken Burns
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country Music by Ken Burns Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Burns is what he is, but his undeniable bias has not been very detectable in this series on country music unless you are looking to be offended.
You just don't know when to quit, do you? You need to just stow that stuff. If you don't like the tenor of the conversation in this thread, you don't have to participate. Either way, you and I are clear on one thing- I've got your number and have had it for a long time. There's no need for me to explain what that means, and your comments in this thread serve as yet another confirmation of my opinion on the approach you sometimes take.

quote:
No, I didn't watch his Vietnam show because I knew it would be drenched with that nonsense. I was not interested in another Vietnam history from that perspective.
And that's another thing. Honest is the best policy.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1610035034/p/2

Who is it that I see posting under your name in that thread? Your cat? Goldfish, perhaps? A neighbor?

We've ceased pruning threads from this forum. Word to the wise.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Burns is what he is, but his undeniable bias has not been very detectable in this series on country music unless you are looking to be offended.
You just don't know when to quit, do you? You need to just stow that stuff. If you don't like the tenor of the conversation in this thread, you don't have to participate. Either way, you and I are clear on one thing- I've got your number and have had it for a long time. There's no need for me to explain what that means, and your comments in this thread serve as yet another confirmation of my opinion on the approach you sometimes take.

quote:
No, I didn't watch his Vietnam show because I knew it would be drenched with that nonsense. I was not interested in another Vietnam history from that perspective.
And that's another thing. Honest is the best policy.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1610035034/p/2

Who is it that I see posting under your name in that thread? Your cat? Goldfish, perhaps? A neighbor?

We've ceased pruning threads from this forum. Word to the wise.

You're right - I watched an episode of Vietnam. I think I lost interest after it became apparent it became too predictable in its viewpoint. That was two years ago. Thanks for jogging my memory.

If you don't want to hear any views not in line with your own, then I'll try not to offer them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
..unless you are looking to be offended.

As I seem to be the only one offering specifics so far, who else could you be talking about? The notion of looking to be offended implies the offended is the problem, no? Given the option, I'd prefer to avoid being offended. I cited some specific examples of Burns being Burns, there's no denying his bias colors and diminishes his work. I'm not looking for it, I know it when I see it. I'm not the problem, jhe88, and I'm not looking to be offensive.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How many times have we been through this? The thing to which I take exception is your apparent need to be a contrarian, Manner and timing, these are the issues. It is a well-established fact that Ken Burns has interjected his personal political views into his later documentaries. He beats us over the head with "White people are bad. White people are racists. White people are the cause of all the ills of our society. All other races are noble but oppressed. The United States was completely outmatched by the Viet Cong and ARVN. The United States never won a battle in the Vietnam War." White people are bad. The United States is racist and oppressive and foolish.
This stuff is really hard to miss in his later films, yet you come in here and take the time to talk about the banjo, and follow it up with smirking remarks about the Italians and the violin.

You have nearly 50,000 posts in this forum. To what percentage of those have I taken exception? It's a handful, really. Just a handful. You've proffered countless opinions in this forum without any comment or acknowlegement by me, but I have most certainly- on many occasions- pointed out to you the problem with the way you oftimes go about expressing yourself when reacting to the comments of others in this fourm. If you want to talk about "not wanting to hear any views not in line with your own", you should look in the mirror, because that's a substantial part of what you're doing when you come into these threads to educate we poor reactionary rubes. Think about it. That is what you're doing. You're just not direct about it, but you are doing it.

You may not believe it, jhe, but I have opportunity every single day in this forum to bite my tongue. and I do bite my tongue. You may not think so because since it is my job to manage this forum, I have ample opportunity to let members know where the boundaries lay. I man the rudder. That's my job.

So, glass houses, OK? Don't play the victim, with silly statements about how you won't offer up opinions counter to mine. Every single day in this forum, members post things with which I do not agree and if I addressed each one, I'd have time for little else in managing this place. I read stuff posted by you all the time that I don't agree with, but you don't know about it because I don't say anything about it, just as others here keep their differences of opinion with me to themselves.

We've had this conversation and you should already know the script by heart: Don't play the hero and plop yourself into the middle of a thread which is discussing something demonstrable, such as Burns' interjection of his politics into his later films, and then act offended or victimized when I tell you to cut it out.

Despite our very different approaches to the world, you have been welcome here for many years, and welcome you shall continue to be, but it should be crystal clear to you by now that when you pull this kind of stuff, I'm gonna be on top of it in a heartbeat.

You walked into the spinning propeller blade. No one pushed you.

posted Hide Post
I would rate this documentary very good through the first three episodes. Good background on the Carter family and Hank Williams. Good historical content on WSM and WLS .

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
[erased snide quote of jhe888]
[erased clever comeback to jhe888]

There now. I feel so much better. My tongue hurts, though.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
My tongue hurts, though.
Well, the keyboard works more efficently if you use your fingers instead.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Is there a better line in the history of music than --

"I got a hot rod Ford and a two dollar bill"

Not just a great line, an essential part to an essential song. It doesn't jump out at you because it just folds right in.

I say this as one who thinks Hank Williams is the perfect country artist.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
My tongue hurts, though.
Well, the keyboard works more efficently if you use your fingers instead.

I was biting it (my tongue) Smile

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I got a hot rod Ford and a two dollar bill"[/quote]
Thanks Ripley, now I have to sing the entire song at least 2 times!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying this series. As said, previously, I am learning a lot about the early days of C&W music, the culture and the industry.

And, BTW, won two tix to the Carrie Underwood concert tonight compliments of a drawing at our Rotary Club lunch meeting today. Great, as I generally never win anything in a drawing.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Is there a better line in the history of music than --

"I got a hot rod Ford and a two dollar bill"

Not just a great line, an essential part to an essential song. It doesn't jump out at you because it just folds right in.

I say this as one who thinks Hank Williams is the perfect country artist.

Agree there.

But, remember, it was Steve Goodwin that wrote "The Perfect Country & Western Song"

Steve Goodman

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I saw the Vietnam series, it was interesting from an historical standpoint. The leftist BS wasn't too bad early in the series, but got noticeably worse later on. I've got the WWII series queued up on Netflix so I'll give that one a try. I'm not enough of a country music fan to spend any time looking at this one.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

But, remember, it was Steve Goodwin that wrote "The Perfect Country & Western Song"

Steve Goodman

A Chicago boy, like his buddy, the wonderful John Prine who initially billed himself as the Chicago Hick. But their pedigrees have value it turns out.

I had no idea WLS radio (World's Largest Store -- Sears) had set the country ball in national motion with its Barn Dance, long rivaling Nashville as the radio center of country music.

Growing up there in the 50's and 60's, I remember WLS as THE pop/R&R place to listen. I had no idea what came before.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Growing up there in the 50's and 60's, I remember WLS as THE pop/R&R place to listen. I had no idea what came before.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I did. A good friend of mine's father loved that stuff. It was either Barn Dance on the tube, followed by Ron Terry's Polka Party. He talked of how much better WLS was before Dick Biondi, the WLS DJ who had the distinction of playing the first Beatles song on the radio in the United States. Biondi was all out crazy which made him popular with teenagers.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Steve Goodman

A Chicago boy, like his buddy, the wonderful John Prine who initially billed himself as the Chicago Hick. But their pedigrees have value it turns out.

I had no idea WLS radio (World's Largest Store -- Sears) had set the country ball in national motion with its Barn Dance, long rivaling Nashville as the radio center of country music.

Same here, grew up there and never knew they played a country song.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Dick Biondi...

I was going to drop that guy in but decided I didn't need to go there. Good times... Smile

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Dick Biondi...

I was going to drop that guy in but decided I didn't need to go there. Good times... Smile

IIRC, it was Biondi that said, "If the skirts get any shorter, the girls will have two more cheeks to powder and one more place to shave". Believe he was gone shortly thereafter.

posted Hide Post
some pretty fascinating stuff, sure get tired of that peter coyote,
there are plenty more people out there to narrate .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
some pretty fascinating stuff, sure get tired of that peter coyote,
there are plenty more people out there to narrate .

Agreed. Whatever Burns effort he's part of, Coyote almost says more with inflection than the words. Not so much narration but rather pronouncements from on high. At times, my mind's eye sees him sneering with his nose in the air.