SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anybody remember "Rome" on HBO 12 years ago?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody remember "Rome" on HBO 12 years ago? Login/Join 
posted
Man, that was a great miniseries, IMO, the best HBO ever had, with "Band of Brothers" being first.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Rome was excellent, I'd have loved to have seen it continue with Octavius and Marc Antony

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
It was alright. I watched it recently, i thought spartacus was better. Best they ever had Uhhhmmm... game of thrones???

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess one good reason I liked Rome better than GOT was that Rome didn't jump around every 5 minutes to a scene that lasted five minutes. Plus, based on events that actually happened and it's a great buddy story.

- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Rome was great, I still put it third behind The Wire and Deadwood.

Not going to rate GoT until it's in the books, probably top 2 though for its sheer magnitude of great story lines .

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
Rome was excellent, I'd have loved to have seen it continue with Octavius and Marc Antony

I'd also love to see Vorenus and Pollo team up again and kick ass.

- David Horowitz

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
I guess one good reason I liked Rome better than GOT was that Rome didn't jump around every 5 minutes to a scene that lasted five minutes. Plus, based on events that actually happened and it's a great buddy story.

I agree with that. I was going on sheer ratings while we are talking about the content subjectively. I do like a good historically based miniseries for sure.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:

I agree with that. I was going on sheer ratings while we are talking about the content subjectively. I do like a good historically based miniseries for sure.

Yeah, I would guess that a lot of the ratings for GOT comes from a generation or two having more knowledge of dragons and magic than they do of ancient Western history.

- David Horowitz

Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I liked when it originally ran. I did try to re-watch it in the last couple of years and got bored with it, though.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was the same way when it ran. I might be a bit less wowed now, as other things have come along on television, particularly something like "Breaking Bad."

- David Horowitz

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Rome was good. Ray Stevenson was excellent.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Absolutely, hands down my favorite character on the series.

- David Horowitz

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Rome as well. They spent a ton of money on the production. I thought of going back and rewatching on HBO GO, but I think I'll just leave it be.

As to which was the best HBO series, naturally everyone has their favorites but you wong go wrong with The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood or GOT in the top spots.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I loved Rome.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Great show. One of my favorites.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
LOL BMR! too true.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Rome was good. Ray Stevenson was excellent.

He was great in black sails as well.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
13! 13!

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
What an awesome scene, I've always thought there was no real "good" way to die in those days.

This article explains the sudden end of the show.
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv...nally-very-different

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Rome" was very good. We enjoyed it a lot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You probably liked it because John Milius was the creator. A few of his films, original Red Dawn, Conan the Barbarian, Flight of the Intruder.
He wrote Apocalypse Now, 1941, Clear and Present Danger. John is right wing in a sea of liberals.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post