New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westworld Login/Join 
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I think William is the man in black. There are clearly atleast two timelines woven together.

And the clues that Delores is the maze is assuming that the maze is a host that achieves sentient thinking like humans. When they did a scan of Maeve two episodes ago, her brain pattern was close to the maze design. The first time we saw the 'map' was when the MiB scalped the dude, alluding to the maze is in the skull. Also, the hints are the first generation of hosts rebelled and killed many including Arnold. There are programs to prevent that from happening again, but even in Episode one we saw Delores lie and kill a living thing (a fly).

I cannot wait to see Ep 10, and see what Season two has.

Also, anyone else thinking of getting a six shooter because of this show?

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Achievement Unlocked
Picture of SIGnul 9
posted Hide Post
I thought that it was obvious that William is the man in black 30 years in the past. To me, the twist wouldn't be William being revealed as the MiB but rather his partner Logan being the MiB. Now that would throw people for a loop.

This is one of the few signals that can't be caught or blocked; when a process is sent SIGKILL, it never runs again. This is signal 9, as in the ever-popular kill -9

Posts: 1050 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: August 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I dont' understand the theory that William is the "Man in Black" (Ed Harris) in an different timeline theory.

Can someone please explain that to me?

Furthermore, please explain the alternate timeline theory to me. I'm not picking that up.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnul 9:
I thought that it was obvious that William is the man in black 30 years in the past. To me, the twist wouldn't be William being revealed as the MiB but rather his partner Logan being the MiB. Now that would throw people for a loop.

The one thing that makes that difficult is the that the MIB and Logan have different colored eyes.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I dont' understand the theory that William is the "Man in Black" (Ed Harris) in an different timeline theory.

Can someone please explain that to me?

Furthermore, please explain the alternate timeline theory to me. I'm not picking that up.

I think the "alternate timeline" theory was a bad label for it. I'm not sure where it came from originally (maybe Reddit), but there's really only one timeline in the theory - just different points in time.

IIRC - The theory is (or was) that there are 3 points in time at which this current story is taking place: A time very soon after the original movie, a time 5 years or so after that, and a time 30 years or so after that.

SPOILERS:

Some of that was somewhat confirmed when white-hat William pulled out the picture of his future wife, which was the picture Abernathy found on the ranch in the dirt that caused him to go crazy.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

Clues are subtle, but there. When William and Logan arrive, the WW logo is different. When Ed Harris talks, the phrase 30 years ago keeps coming up. And IIRC, William and Logan were there to invest in WW.

When we see older robots, they look like T800s from the Terminator series (Skins wrapped over a robot), but newer robots are made from the white goopy stuff in the credits. We saw the older hosts a few times in episode 9.

Big hints come from the Man in Black's story from episode 8. Which is also why I think he is William and that Delores is the maze. He would come for the fun, but when he lost his real world wife, he lost it. When he put on the black hat he attacked the settlement with then prairie mom Maeve. MiB said when he killed Maeve and her daughter, he saw a spark of humanity in the machines, and that is what keeps bringing him back. He wants to see it again. And maybe he is chasing Delores since he fell for her once, saw that the hosts are capable of being more human, and wants her to rekindle the emotions he had 30 years ago but had to pass on since he was engaged.

Switching over to the maze, Delores is an original model host, she was part of what is being hinted at an uprising, and the reveries are making her more aware of what the park is.

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Also, anyone else thinking of getting a six shooter because of this show?

Since I already have one I have taken to leaving mine sitting out on the coffee table (unloaded) when I watch the show.

No, I don't wear a hat.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
In the most recent episode, White Hat William goes on a rampage and kills all of the renegade soldiers. If you look at the body parts, many of the parts belong to mechanical hosts, indicating that all scenes with White Hat are a flashback to the past when hosts were mechanical.

Additionally, Black Hat cuts open Delores' belly to show White Hat her mechanical bits. He knew there would be mechanical bits there to show. As is mechanical bits were normal. This indicates that the Black Hat / White Hat timeline, does indeed occur in the past. Black Hat had no way of knowing that Delores would become one of the oldest hosts in the park and one of the few mechanical hosts left 30 years later.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank god for this thread.... I got a little lost myself. So is T1Arnold a rep of the original and no one knows he's dead?

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It isn't so much different timelines as flashbacks and flashforwards. The story jumps around to different points in time without making it clear when that is happening.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
Thank god for this thread.... I got a little lost myself. So is T1Arnold a rep of the original and no one knows he's dead?

I don't think so. Everyone knows the host as Bernard. If the host was a secret replacement for Arnold, then Ford would have named him Arnold and given the host a backstory that was consistent of Arnold (genius park owner/operator).

The last episode had a flashback to when Bernard was first created. Ford says that he has missed his old friend, and that it's been a long time. This indicates that Arnold has been dead for quite a long time and that Bernard may be a Gen 2 (flesh and blood) Host.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
No one knows what Arnold actually looks like due to the time that has passed as well as the employee turnover.

Bernard Lowe is actually an anagram for Arnold Weber.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
No one knows what Arnold actually looks like due to the time that has passed as well as the employee turnover.

I believe Bernard is an exact clone Arnold. So the interviews with Delores and Bernard are probably actually interviews with Delores and Arnold.

This says a lot... maybe more than you want to read. http://www.vanityfair.com/holl...ell-tempered-clavier

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

I believe Bernard is an exact clone Arnold. So the interviews with Delores and Bernard are probably actually interviews with Delores and Arnold.

This says a lot... maybe more than you want to read. http://www.vanityfair.com/holl...ell-tempered-clavier

He is. Apparently only Ford knows what Arnold looked like.

Thanks for the link

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Swain0351:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I wonder if William will end up being the man in the black?

Just about 99% sure he is.

William is "White Hat" who is running around with Delores?

Yes. And I don't think he's the man in black.

That never seemed possible to me, either.

But on further reflection, I think William is The Man in Black. Delores called the MIB "William" at one point before seeing him clearly. But there are so many possible twists, I can't commit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Swain0351:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I wonder if William will end up being the man in the black?

Just about 99% sure he is.

William is "White Hat" who is running around with Delores?

Yes. And I don't think he's the man in black.

That never seemed possible to me, either.

But on further reflection, I think William is The Man in Black. Delores called the MIB "William" at one point before seeing him clearly. But there are so many possible twists, I can't commit.

yeah, saying "William" as the MiB walked into the church was, I think, heavy foreshadowing. As in, I think she was expecting William from 30 years ago, but got MiB, perhaps not knowing they are one and the same.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Six shooter?

The 9 shooter is the one to have!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
FIFY- you forgot the center bore.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Six shooter?

The 9 shooter 10 Shooter is the one to have!

Dirt Sailors Unite!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be damned. He gave Westworld to the hosts.

Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
And we were introduced to Samuri World.

But damn. Good episode.

Dirt Sailors Unite!