Find
Notify
Tools

Westworld Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the Winchester 1873 that ejected an empty cartridge case when fired? Automatically, that is- without working the lever.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Perhaps an over analysis, but Delos may be significant for two reasons: 1) the island of Delos was home to one of the largest slave markets in the Mediterranean, and 2) Delos is the birthplace of Apollo, god of, among other things, prophecy, medicine/disease, knowledge, and art.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Did anyone notice the Winchester 1873 that ejected an empty cartridge case when fired? Automatically, that is- without working the lever.

yep,

was wondering why make a prop gun that was semi, look like a lever?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
kinda fun to think that the show really doesn't have any anachronisms, but the park in the show does. Smile

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The concept of this series is intriguing and is light-years beyond the original film from 1973.

In the series, we have androids who have conversations between themselves, with no humans being privy to these conversations. In the orignal film, there is no such thing portrayed.

I was under the impression that the film's screenplay started out as a Michael Crichton novel, because I had seen paperback copies of Westworld for sale years ago. In researching this, though, I found out that Crichton wrote an original screenplay for the film, and after the success fo the film, it was novelized and sold as a paperback.
I was hoping to find some evidence that the things we see portarayed in the film were detailed in a novel, but there was no novel, and what we see on the screen in the 1973 film is all that there is, with a slight exception:

"Westworld was first aired on NBC television on 28 February 1976. The network aired a slightly longer version of the film than was shown theatrically or subsequently released on home video. Some of the extra scenes that were added for the US TV version are:

• Brief fly-by exterior shot of the hovercraft zooming just a few feet above the desert floor. In the theatrical version, all scenes involving the hovercraft were interior shots only.

• The scenes with the scientists having a meeting in the underground complex was much longer, giving more insight into their "virus" problem with the robots.

• A scene of technicians talking in the locker room about the work load of each robot world.

• There was a longer discussion between Peter and the sheriff after his arrest when he shot the Gunslinger.

• A scene in Medieval World in which a guest is tortured on the rack, which appears in the theatrical version only as a still image, was restored.

• Gunslinger's chase of Peter through the worlds was also extended."

Also from that page is this. The added emphasis is mine:

The technicians running Delos notice problems beginning to spread like an infection among the androids: the robots in Roman World and Medieval World begin experiencing an increasing number of breakdowns and systemic failures, which are said to have spread to West World. When one of the supervising computer scientists scoffs at the "analogy of an infectious disease," he is told by the Chief Supervisor (Alan Oppenheimer), "We aren't dealing with ordinary machines here. These are highly complicated pieces of equipment, almost as complicated as living organisms. In some cases, they've been designed by other computers. We don't know exactly how they work."

The backstory for the HBO series doesn't seem to suggest this.

With the series, the producers are pushing towards these androids as achieving the equivalent of human consciousness. The 1973 film contains no such suggestions. In the film, these androids were simply complex automatons. In the series, we will witness the outrage and rebellion of these androids as they come to the realization of the nature of their universe.

Also, in the most recent episode, Anthony Hopkins said that his partner, Arnold, had gone mad. I think the scene in which he said this strongly suggests that he, himself is off his nut. I think his new scenario involves making himself the god of the android's universe.

Oh, and the two guests we are following? They are analog to the Richard Benjamin and James Brolin characters in the 1973 film, and the guy with the beard will not survive this series. His partner, however, will survive.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
  •  
    Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
    Picture of Replacement Tommel
    posted Hide Post
    The Man in Black is the noob "white hat" character thirty years later. The scenes with the "new guy" are all flashbacks and although he initially chose a "white hat" when he entered the park thirty years ago, his prolonged visit to a place where anything goes has made him into Ed Harris' character.

There are subtle hints that the story is being told in two time periods - i. e. The Westwood symbol is different in the scenes with the new guy and the futuristic train station in which he initially arrives appears to be one of the abandoned levels in the Dellos' HQ

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
    The Man in Black is the noob "white hat" character thirty years later. The scenes with the "new guy" are all flashbacks and although he initially chose a "white hat" when he entered the park thirty years ago, his prolonged visit to a place where anything goes has made him into Ed Harris' character.

There are subtle hints that the story is being told in two time periods - i. e. The Westwood symbol is different in the scenes with the new guy and the futuristic train station in which he initially arrives appears to be one of the abandoned levels in the Dellos' HQ

-Tom

Very possible... biggest mark against this theory is that the hosts do not seem any more mechanical or limited in their mannerisms when they interact with William (white hat) than they are with the Man in Black. They've said in the show that 30 years ago, the AI were nowhere near as proficient and lifelike as they are now, but we haven't seen any evidence of that.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by YellowJacket:
    Very possible... biggest mark against this theory is that the hosts do not seem any more mechanical or limited in their mannerisms when they interact with William (white hat) than they are with the Man in Black. They've said in the show that 30 years ago, the AI were nowhere near as proficient and lifelike as they are now, but we haven't seen any evidence of that.

If William was the Man in Black, Wouldn't Dolores recognize William as the younger version? Especially, since she had flashbacks of The Man in Black doing (or attempting) bad things to her in the barn a couple episodes ago?

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by terra:
    quote:

If William was the Man in Black, Wouldn't Dolores recognize William as the younger version? Especially, since she had flashbacks of The Man in Black doing (or attempting) bad things to her in the barn a couple episodes ago?

well, they're not SUPPOSED to have memories of the past...

The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
    Picture of Replacement Tommel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by terra:
    quote:

I think they only started having flashbacks due to the new code/virus they was uploaded to them and which made them act erratically.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Network Janitor
    Picture of mkueffer
    posted Hide Post
    Ok the more I'm watching the more I'm drawn into Ford's (Hopkins) command of everything!

Can he be the total mastermind of the park? Are the others consumed with making the host real?

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No worries!
    Picture of Chach
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mkueffer:
    Ok the more I'm watching the more I'm drawn into Ford's (Hopkins) command of everything!

Can he be the total mastermind of the park? Are the others consumed with making the host real?

I'm almost wondering if Hopkins' character is actually a self aware host created by Arnold because of his capability to control things at will without having to use a pad.

One other little detail that stood out to me, that probably isn't anything major, but whenever a person asks a host if they know where they are, the host responds with, "Yes in a dream." or something and the person replies back with that's correct. Hopkins' character though, when he asked that question to Dolores, responded with, "Yes, my dream."

Could just mean that he's the creator of it, or it could mean that he's the God of it.

Also, how does he know what's going on with everything in and out of the park if he's not jacked in somehow? He knew about Dolores & Bernard's conversations as well as Bernard & Theresa sleeping together. Definitely more to his character than meets the eye.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of batpot
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum:

Or when Dolores fired the SAA twice with the hammer down.

Posts: 2100 | Location: Seattle | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    Looks like Arnold's back...

What's the reason the butcher guys are doing what Maeve wants? Seems a bit odd they're taking orders from her...

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    Anyone else see Yul Brenner's "Gunslinger" character from the movie lurking in the background when Bernard went into the basement?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    bigger government
    = smaller citizen
    Picture of Veeper
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RAMIUS:
    Anyone else see Yul Brenner's "Gunslinger" character from the movie lurking in the background when Bernard went into the basement?

Yup! Blurry but there

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9157 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

What's the reason the butcher guys are doing what Maeve wants? Seems a bit odd they're taking orders from her...

Dem tittays...

It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:

Dem tittays...

Yeah, but instead of cranking her intelligence to the top, they could have just dropped intelligence to 0. She would still have the boobs, but be less dangerous than she is now...they even said that the hosts have more processing power than the human brains. She's now all kinds of trouble trouble, and dangerous since she's certainly pissed that she's been made to live in a controlled loop as a whore to die over and over again.

No worries!
    Picture of Chach
    posted Hide Post
    Well, as she said, if you're getting fucked either way might as well go with the lucrative option. If they keep her the same, she guts them. If they drop her to 0, someone will notice and see they adjusted her and they're fucked. Or whomever notices just ups her to her previous level in which case next time she sees them they're fucked. So really their only option is to go along with her and hope not to get fucked too much.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chach:
    Well, as she said, if you're getting fucked either way might as well go with the lucrative option. If they keep her the same, she guts them. If they drop her to 0, someone will notice and see they adjusted her and they're fucked. Or whomever notices just ups her to her previous level in which case next time she sees them they're fucked. So really their only option is to go along with her and hope not to get fucked too much.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda thing.

The company has a QA department. With guns. The company understands that these things are 1 line of code away from killing everybody. And bugs and mishaps are not uncommon--the machines are self learning, and so over time the adjustments they make on themselves create abnormalities. The company watches for these abnormalities closely, and terminates the androids with predjudice that operate outside their programming. They send an armed fireteam down to the basement to investigate an android that had "turned itself on." They send a recovery crew to track a rogue android, and the clear policy there was to at least take its head.

So, it blows my mind that these idiots didn't pick up a phone and call QA the first time Maeve wakes up. Okay, they thought it was an honest mistake and they didn't want to get fired. But the next few times? An Android that can clearly override her sleep command? Fuck that noise. I'd have QA down there in a second.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post