SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    bought a PTR 91!!!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bought a PTR 91!!!!!!! Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Be sure to treat that Chinese ammo as potentially corrosive. That means flushing the bore, bolt, and interior of the receiver with water shortly after shooting, and then cleaning and oiling as normal that same day.

When shooting corrosive ammo, I bring a spray bottle of Windex with me to the range. It's easy to carry, and easy to use to hose out the gun after shooting.

Luckily, with a PTR 91, it's a bit easier to flush since it's a blowback action, so there's no gas system to worry about cleaning out. Shooting corrosive ammo in gas-operated semiautos can be a pain in the ass, especially on the more complicated early gas semis.

(Bolt rifles are dead simple to clean after shooting corrosive ammo, even more so than a blowback rifle like the PTR. Since the bolt stays closed during the entire firing process, there's no residue making its way back into the receiver. As a result, you only have to worry about hosing the bore and the bolt face on a bolt rifle.)

Posts: 27224 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Be sure to treat that Chinese ammo as potentially corrosive. That means flushing the bore, bolt, and interior of the receiver with water shortly after shooting, and then cleaning and oiling as normal that same day.

When shooting corrosive ammo, I bring a spray bottle of Windex with me to the range. It's easy to carry, and easy to use to hose out the gun after shooting.

Luckily, with a PTR 91, it's a bit easier to flush since it's a blowback action, so there's no gas system to worry about cleaning out. Shooting corrosive ammo in gas-operated semiautos can be a pain in the ass, especially on the more complicated early gas semis.

(Bolt rifles are dead simple to clean after shooting corrosive ammo, even more so than a blowback rifle like the PTR. Since the bolt stays closed during the entire firing process, there's no residue making its way back into the receiver. As a result, you only have to worry about hosing the bore and the bolt face on a bolt rifle.)

Wow! IF... It was a zombie apocalypse and I had exhausted all my stockpile of brass cased ammo and there was a truckload of steel cased ammo across the street, I would consider myself out of ammo and I’d fix bayonets.

My guns will NEVER see steel cased ammo.

To each their own I guess.

Posts: 5393 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and that as they say would be beyond stupid. There are guns that eat steel cased as a matter of design (think AK) and there are those that don't care (think HK 91) and there are those that have extra wear (think AR). But in the end the latter is just more wear and in the zombie apocalypse you won't care. to each their own.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 9432 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
and that as they say would be beyond stupid. There are guns that eat steel cased as a matter of design (think AK) and there are those that don't care (think HK 91) and there are those that have extra wear (think AR). But in the end the latter is just more wear and in the zombie apocalypse you won't care. to each their own.

Hey, shoot all the cheap ass steel cased ammo you want... Just don't ask to borrow any of my rifles. Big Grin

Posts: 5393 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Good for you! By the way, good place for mags and parts is robertrtg.com. With the www of course.
We had fun with ours.

Posts: 811 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am already a fan of RTG, have received several orders and are waiting on a steel lower by Bill Springfield now. Than I will blow a bunch of that cheap ammo through it!

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Good for you! Nice to know you’ve already found RTG, lol. Have fun!

Posts: 811 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post