SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Hey Exx, you ever get your new action? Thinking of the one from TS. Curious how you like it if you've gotten it. Couldn't remember the projected timeline.

Not yet, no. Best of my knowledge they still aren't shipping.

Ill see Travis in April at the Nebraska match. Hopefully he at least has his by then so I can check it out. He ordered one for himself and one for Griz that got in on lot #1. By the time I ordered, I was lot #3.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot the first Raton match of the season on Saturday with my Dasher. Shot my highest score, won the match Big Grin Dasher rocks!

I put 900rds on the Dasher barrel that was previously a 6BR jelrod1 chambered. He chambered a new barrel for that action. Another Hawk Hill finished at 26". Shot some at 100yds last week, bugholed. Yesterday went to my favorite range, hooked up with fellow Colorado member sigfreund and his buddy. Good shooting with you again, hope you two make it to Raton this season. I planned on putting up a paper target at 500yds see what this thing will do. A foot or more of snow kept that from happening, several others at that range, long walk out with the snow... I banged away at a few steel targets at 460, 525 and 1020yds. This Dasher looks to shoot just as well as the other. Could clearly see my impacts on the 10" wide plate at 1020yds, holding vertical extremely well. There's something magical about these small 6MM cases, 6BR, Dasher.... Such a joy to shoot.

Ya, I know looks like all my other rifles.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Nice work, man!

My first match is LRSE in March.

New barrel has 144 rounds on it now. Should be settled in, just waiting for above-freezing temps to do load development. Ideally, I'd like to see 40-45*. Probably end up being the week before the match. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Shot my highest score, won the match Big Grin Dasher rocks!

Good job. Looks like that poodle-shooter chambering works. Well, maybe more than a poodle-shooter 223. Let's call it rotweiler-shooter.

PS -- hope you didn't damage you shoulder with all that brutal recoil over the course of the match.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, offgrid, on your win at Raton. You definitely have a fine rifle there.

And thanks again for the tips and instructions yesterday. You’ve given us a lot to think about and to practice for. I and my friend and his son really appreciated your time and effort.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting offgrid. You and Alpine keep pulling me closer and closer to chambering a dasher for myself.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice shooting offgrid. You and Alpine keep pulling me closer and closer to chambering a dasher for myself.

Ptg is supposedly shipping the action for SWMBO's dasher today. With any luck I'll have something to report in the coming weeks.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I look forward to seeing how it does.

I've seen some silly small groups with dashers at the benchrest range I go to. No doubt they and the 6br are special. I've been hesitant for this type shooting here with negative DAs this time of year to give up the 150fps or so but really probably wouldn't miss it. The dasher has so many pluses. My current 6 creed is most likely nearing its end but since I still have so many components and have been happy with it I'll probably chamber another. After that it may be dasher though.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
For PRS, I'm not sure there's much to give up. From what I understand, guys are getting Dashers running 3050-3100. Since we are speed limited to 3200 (and you better stay below 3150 normally in case you are shooting in a hot climate), I don't know that an extra 150fps would be usable speed anyway.

?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
3150 speed limit here in most places. Pushing a dasher to 3100 is a bit of a stretch from 24-26" barrel. I'm not saying it can't be done but is beyond intentions and pushing things to the edge and something will give somewhere eventually. Most are 2950-3000 realistically. Giving up that speed would probably never be noticed though unless really windy I'll admit and would be overshadowed by the razor accuracy. Maybe by the time I chamber one for myself the brass will be out, and hopefully worth using.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Offgrid on his match win ! Glad to see some of you still hitting it out in the cold. I'm patently awaiting the return of the .284. Hoping 16' is going to be a good year for the long steel Big Grin

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
3150 speed limit here in most places. Pushing a dasher to 3100 is a bit of a stretch from 24-26" barrel. I'm not saying it can't be done but is beyond intentions and pushing things to the edge and something will give somewhere eventually. Most are 2950-3000 realistically. Giving up that speed would probably never be noticed though unless really windy I'll admit and would be overshadowed by the razor accuracy. Maybe by the time I chamber one for myself the brass will be out, and hopefully worth using.

I too agree 3100 from a 24-26" barrel is a stretch and 2950-3000 is realistic.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

I too agree 3100 from a 24-26" barrel is a stretch and 2950-3000 is realistic.

I suppose that makes sense. In thinking about it, the guys that gave me that speed are all shooting 30" F-open guns. LOL

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Just got a message from my smith that he got a shipping notice on my action from PTG.

Here's hoping...

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Just got a message from my smith that he got a shipping notice on my action from PTG.

Here's hoping...

Good luck! I just can't bring myself to dealing with those people anymore.

Offgrid shooting his highest score at Raton has gotten to me. Precision over speed and hopefully stability throughout the barrel life. Went through my components last night. Have plenty enough stuff except for brass to last a long time for the dasher. When this 6 creed goes I'll cut it back and do a fire forming dasher barrel and chamber another. Dasher by spring!

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they sure are a train wreck.

They make good products, but their business office is just a laughing stock. They can't deliver on time, half the time they can't ship the correct product..

I'm frankly surprised they are still operating, what with the amount of time and money they waste shipping and reshipping and paying for returns of incorrect product.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Dasher!

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Dasher!

...and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen! Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen!

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Dasher!

...and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen! Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen!

You're just jealous because you can't buy factory ammo for it. Wink

posted Hide Post
If Dashers make serious inroads in the top ranks of PRS competition, and the number of Dasher shooters exceed those with 6x47 Lapua and/or 6 Creed, someone may decide to offer Dasher ammo.

Someone like Copper Creek could be a possibility. I don't see either Lapua or Hornady as a potential.