SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 133 134 135 136
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
fritz, looks like that barrel is shooting well. Heard some reports those carbon wrapped barrels are hit or miss.

Maybe leave those mags loaded for awhile, might relax the springs?

Posts: 2942 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Save the white paint for spring.

I hear you. If my range is completely white from snow cover, logistics make shooting a no go. The worst target identification for me is when I have patches of snow and bare ground. Neither white nor black steel works -- I must paint them orange.
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Heard some reports those carbon wrapped barrels are hit or miss.

When my gunsmith worked at Mile High Shooting, the 'smiths as a collective evidently installed quite a few Proof barrels. He stated the solid steel ones were good. He said the carbon wrapped bolt action barrels were good. The challenge was with the carbon wrapped AR barrels. Evidently the 'smiths had some that were really accurate, and others that they couldn't make shoot well -- regardless of how much they futzed with the system.

When I won the Proof cert, I asked my 'smith if I should go with an AR15 barrel, as I had one that was getting long in the tooth. He said to stick with the bolt action Proof, and I'm glad I did.

It's interesting that Bartlein now offers carbon-wrapped barrels. I haven't heard any direct feedback on them, but I haven't search the web for feedback either.

Posts: 6788 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudoos to Berger for chasing better bullets, Hornady should pay attention!

https://bergerbullets.com/new-...brid-target-bullets/

BlackJack came out with their 131gr 25 cal ACE a few years ago. Sierra makes that bullet.

https://blackjackbullets.com/about/?v=ed5e635ddcfb

The 25 cal 135 in a 25x47 simple necked down from a Lapua 6.5x47.... I shot through 6.5x47's some years back. Berger 130VLD at 2880 from a 24" barrel was an easy load on things. Guessing with the 25x47 Berger 135 2900 would be reasonable for a 24". 1000yds- drop 6.5 mils, 10mph 1.2 mils, 1900 fps, 1100lbs of energy with be nothing to sneeze at! Drop to mach 1.2 at 1700yds. Through my experience of shooting all my calibers further then I should! That mach 1.2 is about where things still hold together consistently. Shot out 4 6x47's, just a smidge less inherently accurate then the 6.5x47's. Guessing a 25x47 would be right in there.

Posts: 2942 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post