SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 121 122 123 124
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Offgrid,

I'm assuming that ballistic solutions are similar??

Barrel life seems to be reported as slightly better with the 6BRA.

The Alpha brass is reported to be coming on line in May/June. The first trials of it will hit locally for development/testing in late Feb or March. This was discussed at ShotShow.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 509 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ADG recently released 7SAUM brass. They were kind enough to send me 5pcs, looks nice! I'll shoot those same 5pcs over and over with some spare bullets/4350 in my 7SAUM. I would like to see at least 6 firings..... Reason why? A couple friends have had had horrible luck with Nosler and Norma 7SAUM brass, 2-3 firings with sane loads. One buddy had the case bodies split after two firings in a "match" chamber with a FL die that doesn't size much.

6BRA barrel #2 30.4/4895/105HVLD/CCI450/2930, shoots great. It's on par with my most accurate Dasher barrel, same velocity with 31.6/4895/105 Hybrid.

Posts: 2563 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
offgrid

If you have a moment could you provide me guidance on 6 Dasher dies. Many suggest Whidden. Do you recommend these or others? Bushing or Not?

That being said, I'm a huge believer in mandrel dies to set the neck tension.

Seater dies, many suggest Forrester Micro Seater.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 509 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
offgrid

If you have a moment could you provide me guidance on 6 Dasher dies. Many suggest Whidden. Do you recommend these or others? Bushing or Not?

That being said, I'm a huge believer in mandrel dies to set the neck tension.

Seater dies, many suggest Forrester Micro Seater.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Dasher reamers are all over the place, especially the .200 line above the base. Can you get that number from your gunsmith, he'll know what that is...

Using Harrel's FL bushing dies for both the Dasher and 6BRA. Harrel's offers several different size FL Dasher dies based on the .200 line. I have enough experience with the Dasher if you can get the .200 number, I'll know which Harrel's die. If you can't get it, Harrel's will ask you to send 2-3 fired cases. Not using my Dasher FL die, glad to loan you mine to get fired cases to Harrel's. Harrel brother are great to deal with. They are old school. Order a die, they'll send it out w/o payment. You receive the die with a invoice, mail them a check.

Loaded neck OD .2685, .267 bushing. Forster Micrometer seater.

Lot of hub-bub about magazine feeding the Dasher. I've have many thousands of rounds using stock 10rd AICS with the feed lips slightly bent, feeds 100%. No need for the spacer kits.

Suggested load with 105's. 31.2-31.8/4895/CCI 450/2920-2980 depending on the barrel. Easy Peasy!

Posts: 2563 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like forever since I've shot. Figured I had a 4-5 hour window today before the next snowstorm arrived. The day started nice -- 40 degrees and light breezes -- but I promptly stuck my 4Runner in a snow drift taking steel targets to the range. Fortunately, not my first rodeo, and a few minutes with a grain scoop shovel got me going again.

Terrain dictates most of my shooting locations and target locations, which results in shooting more-or-less directly to the east. Great for seeing targets in late-day shooting, but not so much for morning shooting or mid-winter days. So today was an exploratory mission to find a lane or two that pointed northeast, making morning and low-sun shooting days possible. I believe I found one that works. Target distances will be limited to maybe 400 yards, but I'll have something for mid-distance 223 and long-distance 22lr.

The weather forecasters were dead on today. While sighting in a scope on older lever action 22lr, a north wind kicked up. A lot. Left-to-right bullet drift at 50 yards varied from .5" to 2.5". OK, time to pull targets. Just as I was packing up the snow arrived. Temps dropped to 25 F, winds steadily increased to 25-ish, with gusts to 30 and 35mph. Time to go home and turn up the heater.

Posts: 5790 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post