SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Distance - .243 vs 6.5CM
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Distance - .243 vs 6.5CM Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
AU,

ETA:

I remember meeting you at a sigforum shoot one year. Not sure which range you are shooting at but I would happily bring examples of most things listed in this thread and let you try them out when you are ready. There are two good options in SC I know of and am fine with either one. Email is fine if you don’t want to post here.

Yes, I was able to come to the Pageland shoot. What a blast!

Where are the ranges you have in mind?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Either Clinton House or SCOTG. Between the two Clinton house preferred but fine with either

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Either Clinton House or SCOTG. Between the two Clinton house preferred but fine with either

Wow, I didn't know either of them were there. Let's do that sometime!

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
quote:

Wow, I didn't know either of them were there. Let's do that sometime!

Sure thing. Get in touch with me when you’re ready and I’ll set it up.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My ideal would be a 6.8-08 Ackley Improved. (.270 in 308 AI) but only if they made an ideal bullet

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
My ideal would be a 6.8-08 Ackley Improved. (.270 in 308 AI) but only if they made an ideal bullet

I'm not the expert in AI cases, but it seems that the 308 AI has not been well received by the shooting community.

Hornady and Lapua built their 6mm and 6.5mm cartridges on 308-ish capacity cases which are shorter in overall length than a 308 Win. Furthermore, the Hornady & Lapua cases have shoulders which are pushed back, as compared to the 308 Win case. It's my understanding such designs are necessary to deal with long high-BC bullets.

Both Hornady and Lapua produce good match bullets. If anyone has the ability to produce a short-action uber .277 match cartridge, it's these two. But they haven't gone that way. Most likely due to economics. It would be even easier for them to produce a .284 short action match cartridge, as a number of good 7mm match bullets are already on the market. But they haven't gone this route, either.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post