SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need some help making a decision concerning PDWs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some help making a decision concerning PDWs Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
Living in Kenosha, I’ve been keeping an AR beside me for the last week and a half, and a 10mm on my hip.

I’ve come to realize that toting an AR from room to room just isn’t that fun, so why not find something a little more portable?

Looked at some potential options, including the MPX, Scorpion EVO S2, SP5, and PTR9kt. Think I’ve narrowed it down to the MPX or the CZ, in a 4~7” flavor.

This would be something for home defense, which I’d also like to eventually get suppressed and possibly SBR’d. Should be easier to maneuver throughout the house than my AR.

From my browsing, it sounds like:
  • of the two, the better trigger, hands down out of the box favors the Sig.
  • initial pricing favors the CZ
  • mag prices favor the CZ
  • softer shooter favors the Sig
  • aftermarket add-ons seems like a wash
  • keep reading of gases/powder to the face when shooting the Sig suppressed

So, I’m hoping to hear some input from the brain trust here concerning their experiences with one or both of them.

They are both pretty scarce at the moment, but this will give me some fodder to eschew.

Thanks in advance too!

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
  •  
    Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unknown
    Stuntman
    Picture of bionic218
    posted Hide Post
    I don't have either, but I've sold several of both.

In my opinion, if you're looking at a for-now weapon to work with current situations, both are good choices. However, if you're the kind of gun owner that keeps a gun forever, and may want to buy parts or accessories down the road, I would ask you which one will still be around in 10 years?

It seems to me like one of these makers has a much greater history of suspending/discontinuing models over time. Wink

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Beanhead
    posted Hide Post
    I am in Kenosha County. If you want to check out the B&T APC9K pro or the GHM9, let me know. I had the Sig MPX. I thought it was meh. My brother has a CZ and he drools over my B&T. He is in CaLi.

I have been slinging an AR pistol the past week.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ruger357
    posted Hide Post
    I would suggest an AR pistol in a rifle caliber (5.56) with an 11.5” bbl and a light.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Beanhead
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ruger357:
    I would suggest an AR pistol in a rifle caliber (5.56) with an 11.5” bbl and a light.

That was my exact setup...plus a set of electronic earS.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    AR "pistol" is the way to go.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    I have a AR pistol in 5.56. Also have it set up with a Pantheon Dolos system to swap barrels...so I also have a 10.5” 300BLK barrel for it. They both have a SigSauer762QD flashider on them for the can.

I usually carry just a G19, but were I in the middle of the shit I’m seeing Posted here about Kenosha, I’d carry the AR to the living room and leave my shotgun propped in the corner of the MBR....And keep the G19 on me

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Beanhead
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeinNC:
    I usually carry just a G19, but were I in the middle of the shit I’m seeing Posted here about Kenosha, I’d carry the AR to the living room and leave my shotgun propped in the corner of the MBR....And keep the G19 on me

Did you hack my cameras? This was my set up. I had a CZ P10C in a holster and a Benelli M1 with 9 buckshots in the corner. aR pistol in a sling. I went without the suppressor...because I wanted to scare the sh*t out of any visitors.

Failing to prepare is
    preparing to fail.
    Picture of SigLaw
    posted Hide Post
    I have the Scorpion Micro with a brace, red dot and a light. It is my go to gun with 30 plus rounds of 147g HPs.

It is the best gun I have shot, it is so accurate that I do not even have to try and everything is centered regardless of distance. Not a single failure, ever.

Granted I have made a number of mods, grips, safeties etc. but the gun is a hoot to shoot and the PSA mags work great.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Administrator
    posted Hide Post
    I have an 8" MPX "pistol" that I use in conjunction with a Silencerco Octane 9mm.

I haven't experienced any gas-face and I know what gas-face/squirt eye is, because I do experience it with my suppressed 5.56 SBR.

MPXs aren't going to be easy to find right now.

If you are looking at getting into something quick, I'd go with the CZ now and upgrade to an MPX later if you feel like it.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of FlyingScot
    posted Hide Post
    I have 3...and MPX with 8” barrel, a CMMG MK57 in 5.7x28, and a 10.5” PSA built 5.56. The 10.5 is nice but loud with a big flash and round that will go through a lot of interior walls. I have a blast pig (direct blast forward) on it but in a house, not ideal. The MPX is just awesome - I have an aftermarket trigger specific to the MPX, AR platform soft shooting and good mags. It is not cheap but on a single pint sling easy to carry and stupid accurate with a Trijicon Red dot. My wife likes and prefers the MPX. The CMMG is lighter than the MPX, very handy and stupid accurate. The 5.7 round - well I wouldn’t want to be hit. Over penetration is less an issue as is recoil. Blast is stupid for the round but not bad. My wife an I keep electronic ear muffs beside the bed with our firearms...turned on they amplify sound and protect our hearing. So my wife gets the MPX and I get the MK57 - both in my opinion are pretty damn good PDW options.

The CZ Scorpion is a fine weapon too, but check out what fits you.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I've had some blowback with my Optimus on my 8" MPX, but it's not nearly as annoying as on either of my AR pistol builds. Frankly in an indoor setting I'd rather choose to be dealing with a pistol caliber than the blast off of either of my AR pistol builds (5.56 and 300BLK). Maybe if I had put a forward directing muzzle device I might feel different, but when I've shot either at indoor ranges, just the blast off of the lane divider partitions is enough to get me to move on to the next gun that I brought. Right there I do have a very valid reason why I choose to shoot those braced ARs in open outdoor settings.

As for MPX vs Scorpion, Round 37: simply put, one will cost you more. The other feels far more plasticky and cheap. Both come with annoying ambi safety levers, and (I think) will do that HD role about equal. I chose SIG because I felt that I could deal with the extra cost; anyone else's mileage will most likely vary. I did turn my relatively pricey MPX into a really more spendy subgun. But I kinda do that anyways with any gun. And so far I've been quite pleased with it, even if SIG and the aftermarket couldn't get the charging handle/receiver wear issue fixed (it still wears even with aftermarkets' so-called "fixes" in place).

And while I like pistol calibers over rifle-based choices, I still think that a shotgun-based solution trumps either of those. I keep my Shockwave with its mix of Aguila shot and slug mini-shells even closer than my subguns and handguns for the HD role. A pattern made from smoothbore 14" barrel and 00 buck I think makes for a more effective deterrent that pistol bullets individually tossed about.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I really liked my CZ Micro, but found a German P220 Sport I had to have. If I might muddy the waters a bit, take a strong look at the FN PS90. You get 50 +1 capacity. Light and compact package that's easy to handle. It's a great candidate for SBR. There are several ammo options and despite what critics always say, it's not that pricey in bulk, vs a single box at a time. It's likely the last gun I'd ever let go.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies so far.
    Some very good ideas mentioned.

quote:
    Posted by bionic218:
    It seems to me like one of these makers has a much greater history of suspending/discontinuing models over time. Wink

That gave me a chuckle. I hadn’t even considered that, but it’s so true!

quote:
    posted by Beanhead:
    I am in Kenosha County. If you want to check out the B&T APC9K pro or the GHM9, let me know.

Well, howdy neighbor!
    That APC9K is beautiful, but a heckuva lot higher entry fee than I’m looking to spend. I’ll look at the GHM9 options and setups others have done.

quote:
    Posted by ruger357, 12131 & MikeInNC:
    AR pistol

I originally considered an AR pistol, or new dedicated options like the Rattler, but at least in 5.56x45, it’s more muzzle energy, and in my thoughts, more liable to go through too many walls compared to the muzzle energy you’d see from a 9mm in ~147gr, so I’m trying to limit my search to 9mm options for the time being.
    An AR pistol in 9mm would be an option, and could be the lowest entry fee in the bunch.

Thank you LDD and monoblok for your feedback on running the MPX suppressed. The different experiences could be the difference in can manufacturers.
    Both of yours are the 8” flavor, and I had been considering the 3.5~4.5” Copperhead or MPX K. Getting the shorter barrel probably wouldn’t help matters any with regards to blowback possibility.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by C-Dubs:
    Living in Kenosha, I’ve been keeping an AR beside me for the last week and a half, and a 10mm on my hip.

I’ve come to realize that toting an AR from room to room just isn’t that fun, so why not find something a little more portable?

Looked at some potential options, including the MPX, Scorpion EVO S2, SP5, and PTR9kt. Think I’ve narrowed it down to the MPX or the CZ, in a 4~7” flavor.

This would be something for home defense, which I’d also like to eventually get suppressed and possibly SBR’d. Should be easier to maneuver throughout the house than my AR.

From my browsing, it sounds like:
  • of the two, the better trigger, hands down out of the box favors the Sig.
  • initial pricing favors the CZ
  • mag prices favor the CZ
  • softer shooter favors the Sig
  • aftermarket add-ons seems like a wash
  • keep reading of gases/powder to the face when shooting the Sig suppressed

So, I’m hoping to hear some input from the brain trust here concerning their experiences with one or both of them.

They are both pretty scarce at the moment, but this will give me some fodder to eschew.

Thanks in advance too!

• For indoor home protection a short barrel .223/5.56 will be extremely loud, with a maga flash, and reduced terminal performance from a small diameter bullet.

Personally I went with 300 black out as that round was designed for a short barrel from the beginning so burns almost all it's powder inside a short barrel. (unlike a .223/5.56 the 300 blk is very quiet with a suppressor in short barrel form)

As a rule I don't carry a 10mm handgun (except for certain hunting) but if a 10mm was my preferred hand gun I would probably match it with a short barrel suppressed Pistol Caliber Carbine in 10mm, either in pistol form (using an arm brace) or as a SBR. LOTS of good bullets available for the 10mm, good stopping power in a SBR, matching ammo to what's in my handgun, fairly large diameter bullet compared to .223.

Posts: 67 | Registered: August 13, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    How about a CMMG Banshee in 10mm? Since you already carry a handgun in 10mm... I have the Banshee in 10mm and it is pretty sweet, compact, and light.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    A couple of things. I have heard nothing but good things about the Banshee and IF available you can get it in the very short barrel or the medium barrel. What is nice about the CZ is besides they make a nice gun is that so many companies are making add on's for it. Plus you are starting with a much lower price point. I live down the road from PTR and am trying to convince myself I do not need one. It is a hell of a gun. So much of an H&K clone that almost all of the parts are interchangeable at half the price. BTW, unless you find a PTR in stock they have told me they don't expect to have any until January.

Trying to decide is difficult. I do have the short barreled Springfield Edge AR Pistol in 5.56 and it is great to shoot but as others have mentioned it is loud and gives a decent blast.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Another vote for the Banshee in 10mm or 9mm. I'm very impressed with the 9mm and am considering the 10mm as well.

Lightweight, option to use Glock magazines, suppressor-capable, delayed recoil system to keep bolt-weight and recoil low.

SIG MCX Rattler in .300 Blackout also is an option - subsonic or full power loads.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I can vouch for reliability of the Banshee. I have the MK57 version..it's been perfect and not one issue.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Stupid
    Allergy
    Picture of dry-fly
    posted Hide Post
    As previously recommended, take a look at the Banshee. I have a 9mm SBR Banshee on order. You can’t beat aftermarket for an AR.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post