SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post* Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I would like it to work with my vintage Silvertips and figure the spacers would be a good idea.
I checked the Kel-Tec website and the mag spacers are currently out of stock.

I am fine to switch ammo brands and configs, but I figure since I have these Silvertips, I want to use them.
I think Winchester changed the Silvertips in some way over time so the current ones are different than what I have.

My old 90s ones have fairly good ballistics considering.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've toyed with the idea of getting one of these little pistols, but I'm such a fanatic about reliability that I can't bring myself to buy one.

For ultra-compact handguns, I rely on North American Arms revolvers chambered in .22 WMR. These little revolvers are five shots and out, but those are five shots for certain. We're talking about guns that weigh around 6 ounces, most of them less than that.

I use a Stellar Rigs neck holster for my NAAs, and if you scroll down on that page, you'll see neck holsters for the Kel-Tec. The neck chain they supply is close to worthless, as it's very noisy with the holster. I use a length of Desert Tan (to blend in with my skin color) para cord. I took out the inner filaments of the cord and use just the outer sheath. I tied the cord so that the knot is inside the holster, so that the cord lays flat against my neck.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am hearing the P32 is ammo sensitive in terms of the OAL of ammunition cartridges.
The Fiocci 73gr FMJ is supposedly 100% trouble free in them, so I will buy that and test.

I am reading that Kel-Tec is no longer offering the magazine spacers as they say they are unnecessary. I don't know if they updated the newer mags in some way as I cannot find anything regarding updates to said currently made magazines.

Hmmm, never considered the neck chain carry.
Interesting.

I am going to order a back pocket holster from Hedley.
http://hedleyholsters.com/keltec.html

I must say that I am enamored with the weight and slimness of this Kel-Tec P32 and as long as I can find an ammo type that is reliable, all will be well.
The OAL of my 1990s Silvertips is going to be too short for this P32. I don't need rimlock.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am starting to think Kel-Tec changed and updated the mags.
I read somewhere that you have be careful loading the mags as you can create a rimlock condition unintentionally. Plus, some say you can intentionally create rimlock as a test.

Try as I might, I could not create a rimlock condition in the mags using my short AOL hollowpoint 1990s Silvertips.

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I have a NAA .380 ACP Guardian, and it's a great little pistol. As mentioned, it's of 'all-stainless' construction. I carry mine in a pocket-sleeve from Galco, and forget I'm carrying it. The weight has never been an issue, and helps with recoil. Good groups out to seven yards. I'm currently; running 100-gr. SIG proprietary ammo in it. A lot of the parts are made by Kahr for NAA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eTripper,

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a number of Kel-Tec firearms, including a P-32. I have owned it over 10 years +, and it has never failed me at the range. I load it with Fiocchi JHP ammo, and it feeds/ejects them just fine. I carry Silvertips in my Kel-Tec P3AT and it is very happy with them. These Kel-Tec handguns are a lot of bang for the buck, and the factory stands behind them. I have shot over 5500 rounds through my P-11, and it is still rocking along. After that many rounds, I feel confident in it's reliability.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I have a P32 and have shot X32ASHP through it with no problems. I really like mine.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I bought a P32 when they first came out, shot 750 rounds through it early on to ensure reliability. It runs 100% with both Winchester silvertips and old-stock Fiocchi semiJHP. Carried the little bugger for a looooong time, only replacing it a couple years ago when I inherited my wife's P3AT and she graduated to a Glock 42.

The size factor is a big plus with the P32. It weighs next to nothing, and in a desantis nemesis holster, it disappears in the pocket. The trigger is also surprisingly good--though, like the rest of the gun, it feels 'delicate'. I stopped shooting it at the 750 round count in order to keep it from wearing out.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I carried a KelTek 32 for a good part of a year.

Marvelous weight, could wear with anything, fit in a watch pocket.

I even got so I could feel reasonable accuracy across a poker table distance.

After a few hundred rounds it became increasingly more touchy about everything/anything/nothing. Not only not fire, but not feed either.

Despite using ammo printed in the factory manual, it wouldn't feed, either working slide by hand or firing. Changing ammo/magazines would not help.

After 3 LONG trips to the maker, I hoped all was well. No such luck. It went back the 4th time. On return marked "repaired" it malfunctioned in the LGS and I sold it to the dealer who professed actually wanting one.

Nifty idea though.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
I have a P3AT and have had zero issues.

I've actually been a bit disappointed with mine.

My P3AT doesn't like Remmington ammo, won't strike the primer. Leaves a dent in it but won't go "bang"

Works fine with Winchester, and with Gold Dots though.

Kicks like a mule for a .380 and the sights are worthless.

BUT, the first homicide I ever worked on, the victim (another drug dealer) was robbed and killed by a single shot from a P32, FMJ round.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The P-32 is my everyday carry gun, it goes in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster in my right front pocket. Right now I have the +1 mag extension on it for a total of 9 rounds and plan to add a metal trigger and increased power Wolff recoil spring set.

I had some .32 Hydra Shok and Winchester Silvertips to use up so I took it to the range along with a box of my preferred ammo, Sellier & Bellot FMJ .32

The little gun was a total jammomatic with all that HP stuff but went bang each and every time with the S&B. I used to have a P3AT and a LCP but think the .32 round is FAR better suited for a gun this small and light. While the .380 wants to jump out of your hand at each shot and really thumps your hand, the .32 ACP round is very manageable and soft shooting in comparison and I can fire off all 9 rounds pretty quickly just by point shooting and they all hit center mass of my target. I also like that it locks back when empty which is not typical at all for these type guns.

I really looked hard at a S&W Bodyguard 380 and the Glock 42, but the weight and thinness of the P-32 won out as in the pocket, every millimeter of thickness and ounce counts so you don't want to be carrying a thick brick.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The little gun was a total jammomatic with all that HP stuff but went bang each and every time with the S&B.

I have been reading most everything on the net and doing the math based on the interior dimensions of the P32 magazines.
It appears that any cartridge less than about 0.950 inch AOL could be prone to rim lock and jamming. It's not all P32s but many of them.

Generally speaking, it seems that folks shooting longer AOL FMJs are saying their P32s are reliable.

I am going to go pick up some Fiocchi 73gr FMJ or S&B FMJ to test fire this gun.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The little gun was a total jammomatic with all that HP stuff but went bang each and every time with the S&B.

I have been reading most everything on the net and doing the math based on the interior dimensions of the P32 magazines.
It appears that any cartridge less than about 0.950 inch AOL could be prone to rim lock and jamming. It's not all P32s but many of them.

Generally speaking, it seems that folks shooting longer AOL FMJs are saying their P32s are reliable.

I am going to go pick up some Fiocchi 73gr FMJ or S&B FMJ to test fire this gun.

From what I've read about the .32 ACP round, you are much better off anyway with a hot European FMJ like a Fiocchi or S&B than an American JHP which may or may not even expand and won't penetrate very well.

I figure that 3-5 yards, a rapid fire dump of all 9 rounds of my S&B FMJ at center mass of a bad guy is going to ruin his day, so I'm good with carrying what functions well in this little puppy.

I looked at several ballistics tests with guys shooting various .32 ACP ammo out of the P-32 and the 73 grain S&B FMJ was the top rated one for FPS speed and penetration (12-13" IIRC), followed by the Fiocchi 73 grain FMJ.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Before Larry Seecamp sold his company, he did a lot of testing of ammunition for his .32acp pistols. He highly recommended HORNADY XTP.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I was able to find some Fiocchi 73Gr FMJ this morning. AOL is 0.965, so this should be long enough in the magazines to prevent rimlock and reliably feed.
I am a bit disappointed that Kel-Tec discontinued their magazine spacers though.

I need to go test things in the near future.

posted Hide Post
I have had a P 32 for more than ten years. Maybe put 250 rounds through it without any problems. When I need a carry piece of extra small dimensions, I carry it in my front pocket in a pocket holster. A 32 acp isn't much of a self defense gun, but it is a gun. Deployed with speed and resolve a P 32 could save your life.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The one you have on your person is better than the one left at home.

I did call Kel-Tec in Florida.

I was told that they have discontinued the P32 magazine spacer rimlock kits for use when using short AOL HPs.
They recommend shooting long AOL FMJs.

That kind of bites moose in that HPs are a no go, but it isn't a deal breaker and I am fine shooting FMJs in a 32ACP.

The 32ACP is a bit weak as we know. All I really need this P32 to do is shoot reliably, and if that means long AOL FMJs. perfect outcome.

Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
How is the recoil of the of the .32 versus the .380?

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I was able to find some Fiocchi 73Gr FMJ this morning. AOL is 0.965, so this should be long enough in the magazines to prevent rimlock and reliably feed.
I am a bit disappointed that Kel-Tec discontinued their magazine spacers though.

I need to go test things in the near future.

The Fiocchi works very well in the KT P32 stock mags. You don't need the rimlock spacers with that round.

quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
How is the recoil of the of the .32 versus the .380?

It's like .223 vs 30-06 to use a rifle analogy.