SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post*
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Kel-Tec P32s any good? *Updated With Photo Page 1 Intro Post* Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:

I mainly bought it because it's so much lighter than my Seecamp and has an extra round of ammunition capacity.

You'll LOVE this compared to the Seecamp .32

I had a Seecamp a few years back and my hand hurt after firing off a dozen rounds, this is a locked breech gun and VERY soft shooting compared to the Seecamp.

I just added one of these +1 magazine extensions, basically it replaces the bottom plate on the magazine you already have and gives you 8+1 rounds. SO far it's been flawless and gives you a little more to hold onto. Still fits in my pocket just fine with the extra half inch or so it adds.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Back when I bought my Seecamp, the Kel-Tec P32 wasn't even available yet.

I love the Seecamp, but I found out recently that it is just too heavy for me and my back pocket any more.
Therefore, enter the P32.

My Kel-Tec P32 at 9 ounces fully loaded 7+1 seems a better fit for me compared to my Seecamp at over 15 ounces 6+1.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Here is a comparision of the Silvertips and Fiocchi FMJs in P32 mags.

One mag is loaded with Silvertips with an AOL of 0.910in. The other is loaded with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ with an AOL of 0.965.

Take a look at the cutout about halfway down the the magazine. See all that extra space in the mag with the Silvertips?

I can see that under recoil etc, the shorter cartridges may move in the magazine and overlap the case rims... rimlock.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
Here is a comparision of the Silvertips and Fiocchi FMJs in P32 mags.

One mag is loaded with Silvertips with an AOL of 0.910in. The other is loaded with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ with an AOL of 0.965.

Take a look at the cutout about halfway down the the magazine. See all that extra space in the mag with the Silvertips?

I can see that under recoil etc, the shorter cartridges may move in the magazine and overlap the case rims... rimlock.

If you are really set on using JHP, Google "Kel-Tec Flyer Wire" it's a homemade rimlock preventer you can build yourself. Myself, I'm happy with the hot S&B FMJ.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Nope, I am good.
While spacers and such would be nice, the reality is that they are additions to the mag.

I would rather leave them stock and shoot ball.
I think my Fiocchis will be fine.

Heck, I had never heard of rimlock before this purchase. Now we know, though it seems captive to rimmed and semi rimmed cases like the 32ACP.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's something for you to consider, lbj. A 60 grain Speer Gold Dot fired from a Kel-Tec 32.

I'd say that's impressive performance from a 32 ACP. FMJ ammunition is not going to perform like this.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the OAL is.
If they are at least 0.950, I will try them.
My preference is HPs.

When I look at the video, now is the time I wish Kel-Tec hadn't discontinued the spacer rimlock kits.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Gold Dot is going to have just about the shortest OAL of any factory 32 ACP cartridge.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I placed a WTB in Classifieds for the factory mag spacer kits that are discontinued.

Maybe I'll get lucky.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You could try using Corbon Pow'RBall which is a JHP with a polymer tip that feeds like a FMJ and has an OAL like a FMJ.

Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You could try using Corbon Pow'RBall which is a JHP with a polymer tip that feeds like a FMJ and has an OAL like a FMJ.

I've had Keltec pocket pistols in every caliber and really liked this bullet/loading in all of them. ZERO issues

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to shoot an acquaintance's P32 with factory ball ammo several years ago. It was a Jammamatic. Not saying I would never own a Kel-Tec, but I'm still not tempted to own one. No matter how cheap.....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
I had the opportunity to shoot an acquaintance's P32 with factory ball ammo several years ago. It was a Jammamatic. Not saying I would never own a Kel-Tec, but I'm still not tempted to own one. No matter how cheap.....ymmv

If you don't hold it firmly, they can be affected by limp wristing.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For me, this is the issue. The pistol is ammo sensitive and requires a firm grip, tiny little thing that it is. I am a fanatic about reliability, which is why I can never carry one of these minuscule autos. One has to consider firing weak-handed, too, and a pistol which requires a firm grip to reliably cycle is out of the question.

This is why I rely on the NAA revolvers. You're going to get your five shots, strong hand or weak hand.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Always interested in malfunctions of self defense pistols explained away by "limp wristing". Do many shooters really believe that in a lethal force self defense situation that they will always have a perfect grip on their chosen self defense pistol? Why would a person carrying a self defense type pistol carry one likely to malfunction unless gripped just right? Best of luck with that.

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I just don't know if I have a jammomatic until I test this firearm.

With regard to ball ammo, I am not against using it in the P32 for carry in the sense that people here in Colorado wear jackets a lot based on our climate.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
Always interested in malfunctions of self defense pistols explained away by "limp wristing". Do many shooters really believe that in a lethal force self defense situation that they will always have a perfect grip on their chosen self defense pistol? Why would a person carrying a self defense type pistol carry one likely to malfunction unless gripped just right? Best of luck with that.

I'm just saying that this little gun is all of 10.5 ounces fully loaded and there's not much there to counter the forces of physics when that .32 round goes off, other than your wrist and hand.

posted Hide Post
Fiocchi Extrema .32 XTP

It feeds and extracts just fine.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I read the comments where the author replies back to each one.
Apparently, the Extrema HPs are over 0.940 oal, so they should be good to go.

I am going to test this P32 with the ball ammo I have on hand in the next couple of days.
After that point, I will be trying different HPs.

DB Flanagan (Mississippigal) is looking for the P32 spacer kits for me. They were discontinued 2 years ago so I am not optimistic.
I appreciate that she making this search effort.

posted Hide Post
quote:
DB Flanagan (Mississippigal) is looking for the P32 spacer kits for me. They were discontinued 2 years ago so I am not optimistic.
I appreciate that she making this search effort.

Quite noteworthy of her, but with the new mags you don't need spacers. Actually, better off without them.

Fwiw, Mr. Mousegun is a member here. Can't remember his moniker, was expecting him to show up at some point.

Again, for a better grip carry the 10-round mags, LBJ. They don't add much in mag length, IIRC, around two inches? But they make a world of difference when gripping it. More stable and comfortable in the hand. Both hands.

Yours is indeed a Gen 2. Should not experience rimlock or any other fuzz unless there is something wrong with the extractor. If there is, you'll find out soon enough. Probably at the first shot.

Btw, a .32 ACP and a .380 fired against a wooden door will surprise many. When the .32 ACP zips through, most of the time, the .380 will not perforate it. Magic.

The P32 is fun to shoot, very much in tune with the Makarov. Enjoy!

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post