SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Don't clean your gun.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Don't clean your gun. Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of my guns haven't been cleaned in years.
They haven't been shot in that long either, so maybe it doesn't count.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I find this thread offensive. My OCD feels threatened and uncomfortable. If anyone needs me, I’ll be in the cry room.

There's a safe space over in the Pitch yer Bitch section that has cats......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Glock (gen 4) from a gun shop owned by a Philly PD cop/ Department Armorer/small arms instructor (total Glock guy).

I asked him about cleaning it...he said to not even think about it until I put 5,000 rounds through it. I thought he was kidding, but he was serious.

Still haven’t cleaned it since I purchased it back in 2012. I take it hunting and camping and it’s the gun I shoot the most/best. I beat the shit out of it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I have yet to clean my Gen5 19, purchased in Oct ‘17.

I’ve not shot it a bunch, maybe only 300 rounds.

Couple drops of oil, wipe off the slide.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Btw, Can’t you just put the Glock in the dishwasher every few years?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
In the spring my neighbor and I went to Bud's in Sevierville...just in passing I asked the girl at the rental desk how often do y'all clean your guns...her reply was "I have no idea, I've been here well over a year and as far as I know, never" Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Btw, Can’t you just put the Glock in the dishwasher every few years?

Seriously...I am going to do that...on the "ecowash" setting...seriously...it takes care of bacon grease on my microwave bacon cooking thingy...the G27 should be a breeze (it is after all a Glock) Big Grin...I will post pics!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Take for my fellow OCD members;

After you've taken your gun apart, cleaned and reassembled it how do you KNOW it works 100%???

The only way I 100% KNOW it works is to shoot it! After a few magazines I'm still willing to run a boresnake through to clean the inside of the barrel and to maybe brush and wipe any excess grit but why should I risk taking apart a perfectly lubed and functioning weapon that I might need to rely on to protect my life? I like a few shots to KNOW my gun is working perfectly............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I won't put a dirty gun back in the safe unless I am in a bind for time. Then I'll clean it at the first opportunity. Operant conditioning I suppose. I'm pretty sure they'll run just fine dirty. I'm absolutely positive they'll work as expected clean.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I understand that. "...what?" is an expression of "this is silly," not "I don't understand."

The idea itself is rather ridiculous, if you think about all the weapons being reassembled in homes as well as even police and military installations, exactly how many are testfired after a cleaning?

I don't think that the idea is any more ridiculous than live function checking your carry / duty weapon in general. If you think that periodically checking your gat if it still runs OK is a dumb idea, then I've no argument. On the other hand, if you think that periodically running your gun through its paces has merits, then I don't think there is a better time than after if was taken apart and put together. This obviously is only relevant to those who don't shoot their carry guns often.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of people, can't touch off a couple rounds at home.

That is why the idea is stupid.

Maintain your weapon, function check it. Shoot it, learn it, love it.

Insisting that, after cleaning and reassembly, firing the weapon is a necessity... This is nothing more than a luxury. By no means is it a necessity. Stop pulling my leg.

Are people breaking down, cleaning and reassembling their guns at a range? Ok, great, but for the most part, no. People do not do that, and most folks can't shoot outside their home.

Frankly, the whole point of this thread, is that you should know your guns(s), and if you're unfamiliar with their limits, perhaps you should be.

People who insist on a given level of cleanliness, or that some dumb shit like cleaning a gun then firing it, are welcome to that opinion and behavior, but they need to accept that it is well outside the norm and by no means a necessity.

It is actually a very GOOD thing, that a wide variety of firearms will function with a less than ideal level of cleanliness, and a less than ideal level of lubrication. Everyone who has chosen a gun or guns to carry, needs to explore their chosen gun, and not just take my or anyone elses word for it.

The easy out, is perfect cleanliness, perfect lubrication. OK, if you need to depend on that, you're in trouble. Now to add this extra live fire step after your perfect clean and lube? It makes me think you don't trust yourself or your firearm. At the very least, you're well into the "fetish" area of firearm care and feeding.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

Arc, you wanted controversy...you're welcome! Big Grin Big Grin

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I find this thread offensive. My OCD feels threatened and uncomfortable. If anyone needs me, I’ll be in the cry room.

Me too... maybe we should report it? Big Grin

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
For those that feel it is necessary to shoot the gun after cleaning to insure it functions I need to ask; is that one round, one mag or one box of ammo? If it's one round, how do you know for sure the second would function? or the second mag? or box of ammo? If you shoot lets say a mag full after cleaning and everything functions. Then if you store or holster the gun how are you sure after that sitting for sometime in a somewhat fouled condition it will function when needed?

Of course you really don't know for absolute if it will go bang until you pull the trigger. I realize this commentary is a bit silly but so is the notion that a freshly cleaned gun, which passes all of the non live ammo post cleaning checks, will malfunction with live ammo.

I clean my guns the way my Dad taught me to. That is after you shoot them and they are ready to go to the safe or holster. This applies to tools, automobiles and other such items. I'm too old to change those habits now no matter what the common wisdom has evolved to. I'm also having a hard time getting used to the idea of 10,000 oil changes in today's vehicles. Smile

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would you advocate similarly for those who live in coastal regions?

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
IMO, this “surgical clean” shit began with the military. A weapon is never returned to the armory until the the Q-tip wipes clean.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
IMO, this “surgical clean” shit began with the military. A weapon is never returned to the armory until the the Q-tip wipes clean.

This.

And unless it's my carry or in a regular rotation, a gun might linger in my safe a LONG time. So they always get cleaned after shooting.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
This was going to be all controversial, and you've ruined it. I hope you're happy.

I'm actually not very happy. My mom married this doctor recently, and we moved into his house with his son. All was going ok, until I touched the son's drum set. And he freaked out. He said he would STAB ME IN THE NECK WITH A KNIFE. We fought, and I thought he was going to rape me. And then they took the TV away during shark week. Planet Bullshit.

I'm never going to call him dad, even if there's a fire.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to clean mine for the Catalina Wine Mixer. Wink

Posts: 89 | Location: Crawfordville | Registered: October 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For decades it was....shoot a gun...clean a gun. A few years ago I began to change my routine. A 22cal auto will get cleaned after 5-6oo rounds due to the fact that they shoot dirty. My revolvers get wiped down and into the safe. The autos, after 4-500 rounds...a bit of #9 followed by a bore snake for 2-3 passes.......q-tip with #9 to the breachface and feed ramp, and a wipedown. Ahhhh, like is good!!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinbot1966:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

I'm actually not very happy. My mom married this doctor recently, and we moved into his house with his son. All was going ok, until I touched the son's drum set. And he freaked out. He said he would STAB ME IN THE NECK WITH A KNIFE. We fought, and I thought he was going to rape me. And then they took the TV away during shark week. Planet Bullshit.

I'm never going to call him dad, even if there's a fire.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to clean mine for the Catalina Wine Mixer. Wink

The Fuckin' Catalina Wine Mixer.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post