SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    soaking semi pistol barrels
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

soaking semi pistol barrels Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Looking for super easy, super clean method of cleaning semi-auto pistol barrels, I was thinking of getting a skinny jar with a cap, filling it with Hoppes-9, and dropping that sucker in for a few says.

Would this work for pulling ALL copper off the lands in addition to ALL of the carbon out of the bore ?

Do any of you guys have any true or semi-true majik along these lines ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can get "all the copper" with an electronic cleaning rod. Why do you want to? Bench rest shooters do it to gain tiny, tiny accuracy improvements. It won't corrode your barrel, it won't help your accuracy (unless you are much better than most) and it's a pain in the ass. Run a bore snake thru it a couple of times and call it good.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Run a bore snake thru it a couple of times and call it good.

This.

In reality, any oil and brush will clean your barrel.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Sweet's 7.62 Solvent. Follow the directions.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I soak pistol barrels in Hoppes for two/three days all of the time. It's not magic, you still need to run patches to clean them but it certainly loosens up the fouling with little effort and no risk of harm. it works for revolver cylinders as well (except nickel plated!).

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overworking overthinking over cleaning. It takes me a sum total of under ten minutes to take a filthy ( for example 5 day class in desert with over 1k fired) gun from dirty to ready for action. As long as it is clean enough to function ( in all honesty should not take much as most guns run fine dirty anyway) it is clean enough. Leave the spotless white glove inspection nonsense to military boot camp.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve cleaned removable pistol barrels by immersion soaking in Hoppe’s #9 (the original stuff) for many years now. After soaking for a few days it’s often possible to remove all metal fouling and powder residue with nothing more than a few passes of a couple of tight patches on a proper jag. When that doesn’t work, a few runs with a bore brush followed by patches will do it.

The effectiveness—or, more accurately, ineffectiveness—of traditional methods is very apparent when conducting armorer inspections of agency weapons and this method helps make it possible to ensure that new people start out at least with completely clean guns.

I’m not much of a housekeeper and have gotten over the thrill of cleaning guns long since, but the method is the most effective I’ve ever found that involves practically no effort and that has minimum effect on the barrel itself.

I’ll stress that I use only the original Hoppe’s #9 solvent for prolonged immersion soaking. I have no idea whether other solvents, including other Hoppe’s products, would be as effective, and especially whether they might cause damage to the barrel steel. I can attest that what I use has no adverse effects even if a barrel is left in it for several weeks.

The Hoppe’s should be removed from friction surfaces with a degreaser like 91-99% isopropyl alcohol before lubricating the barrel for use. That’s not a must, but it is best practice.

Added: I use 8 ounce wide mouth Nalgene bottles for my soaking. They’re unbreakable, impervious to the solvent, and tall enough for even a 4.7 inch full size P320 barrel. They are of course available on line, but places like REI that sell camping supplies often carry them as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nalge...keywords=nalgene+8oz

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an olive jar full of "benchrest blend" (Shooter's Choice and Kroil) for soaking barrels. Two or three days and they clean up easily.

I do have one gun that I am running the Schuemann protocol on. Brush out the CHAMBER vigorously, leave the bore alone. We will see.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's 9 in an olive jar for a couple days. Do not forget and leave it 2 weeks. You may get pitting.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've used the soak method for cleaning pistol barrels for many years and it is effective. I always start out by dry brushing lose crud out followed by a patch on a tight jag. Then into the Hoppees for a couple of hours to several days. I've tried adding some Kroil... maybe an oz or so and that seems to help loosen metal fouling if it's particularly bad, but I'm always afraid of leaving the barrel in that mixture more than an hour or so. After the soaking, run a nylon brush through several times, followed by a few patches, decrease with alcohol or non chlorinated brake cleaner and put a light coat of oil inside and out. You're good to go.

Be careful of some metal finishes. I wouldn't use this on nickle for sure.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have never tried the soaking method with chrome-lined barrels, but advise against it. Otherwise I have left SIG barrels in the Hoppe's #9 for weeks with no adverse effects.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am another user of olive jar and Hoppe's #9. This combo has worked like a charm for years.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that I had invented this method: skinny olive jar and lots of Hoppe's. It's good to hear that other people are doing it with success.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I soak pistol barrels in Hoppes for two/three days all of the time. It's not magic, you still need to run patches to clean them but it certainly loosens up the fouling with little effort and no risk of harm. it works for revolver cylinders as well (except nickel plated!).

+1

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoppes #9 will make nickel peel off if you leave it on nickel long enough. I'm not sure if it has the same effect on chrome, but I don't think I'd try it. I just use a wire brush and hopes #9 and run it through the barrel a few times without soaking it and get my barrels 98% clean and that's good for me.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Run a bore snake thru it a couple of times and call it good.

This.

In reality, any oil and brush will clean your barrel.

Another. I run the brush through, a little wet, to loosen everything up. Then a few patches. It’s so fast to clean I do not understand another way. I use break free to clean, then run a patch with some cop through once I’m done.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
I tried the olive method, which works great on dirty barrels, but I ate several of the olives to make room for another dirty barrel, and now I'm not feeling very well. Is there a step to this method that you guys forgot to tell me?

Wink

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I march outside with some nitrile gloves and some NON CHLORINATED carb cleaner if I want to do more than snake one of my guns.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I thought I did, too!

quote:
Originally posted by DoveEgg:
I thought that I had invented this method: skinny olive jar and lots of Hoppe's. It's good to hear that other people are doing it with success.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just give any pistol or rifle barrel one shot of foam bore cleaner and let it soak overnight.

I learned the hard way when collecting old milsurp rifles with frosted and pitted bores. More damage is done to firearm bores from improper cleaning than any other reason.

Below a 1943 No.4 British .303 Enfield rifle with a frosted bore. One shot of foam bore cleaner removed all the copper and carbon with no brushing.

Spare the rod and spoil the bore.

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post