SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Red Army 7.62X39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Army 7.62X39 Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
I need to stock up some more ammo for the AK’s. Deals are out there and interested in trying some of the red army ammo. They have fmj’s, hp’s and something listed as frangmenting HP’s, all 124gr. Seeing if anyone has tried it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I read a handful of years ago that the "Red Army" line was the bottom of the available barrel when it came to 7.62x39mm.

If I have to use the caliber, current production ammunition, cost being a consideration, go with with Wolf.

Standard FMJ is about $180/1000 now. For about $210/1000 you can get the non magnetic bullet if that's a consideration.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read a handful of years ago that the "Red Army" line was the bottom of the available barrel when it came to 7.62x39mm.

If I have to use the caliber, current production ammunition, cost being a consideration, go with with Wolf.

It's all made by Barnaul.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My preferred 7.62x39 stockpile ammo is Golden Tiger, made by Vympel. Slightly higher quality and slightly more accurate than the other Russian steel cased "animal" brands, but not much more expensive, and also still available with a lacquered case to prevent corrosion.

I've had issued with some of the polymer-coated steel cased ammo developing rust spots after several years of storage. Never had that issue with lacquer coated ammo. (And no, lacquer coated ammo wont "gum up your chamber" or any of that hysterical interweb hyperbole.)

SGAmmo has 1k cases of 7.62x39 on sale for $189.90:
https://www.sgammo.com/manufac...lden-tiger-ammo-sale

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

The "Big 4" Russian ammo factories are Tula, Ulyanovsk, Barnaul, and Vympel. The ammo they produce is distributed and sold under various brand names, and sometimes (like Wolf and Red Army Standard) these brands use ammo from multiple factories inside Russia and elsewhere.

Red Army Standard and Wolf are just distribution brands. They don't represent one lone factory, although they sometimes have primary factories that they source most of their contracts from.

Wolf contracts with a number of the different Russian ammo factories to produce runs, and occasionally sources ammo from factories in other countries (like Germany, Taiwan, and Serbia). They used to source most of their 7.62x39 from Tula, but currently, most of their 7.62x39 is made by Barnaul.

Similarly, Century Arms under their Red Army Standard brand sources their ammo from a number of different factories in several different countries, including Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Bosnia, and Poland. They used to get most of their 7.62x39 from the Lugansk factory in Ukraine, but after the war in Ukraine fired up they switched to mostly using Ulyanovsk and Vympel.

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Be aware of range restrictions concerning steel core or steel case ammunition.

Posts: 8999 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
My preferred 7.62x39 stockpile ammo is Golden Tiger, made by Vympel. Slightly higher quality and slightly more accurate than the other Russian steel cased "animal" brands, but not much more expensive, and also still available with a lacquered case to prevent corrosion.

I've had issued with some of the polymer-coated steel cased ammo developing rust spots after several years of storage. Never had that issue with lacquer coated ammo. (And no, lacquer coated ammo wont "gum up your chamber" or any of that hysterical interweb hyperbole.)

SGAmmo has 1k cases of 7.62x39 on sale for $189.90:
https://www.sgammo.com/manufac...lden-tiger-ammo-sale

I just bought 5k of 7.62x39 and 2k 5.45x39 golden tiger from SG. Did the same last year.

I've been stocking up on Russia ammo when I can. I'm afraid sanctions is going to hit the ammo sooner or later.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:

Incorrect.

What Barnaul actually makes

Barnaul makes the Bear, Monarch and Centaur lines.

Red Army Ammunition

Everbody BUT Barnaul.

Wolf is made by Tula. Sometimes outsourced.

Golden Tiger by Vympel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jager,

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post