SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody watching Jeopardy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody watching Jeopardy? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I"ve been DVR'ing this guy and watching at night. In 12 episodes he's had a 1 day total of $131k and is doing the math do end the day on the birthday's of his relatives. Dude is amazing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.859f26924203

The answer, unfortunately for Alex, was the guy to his left: James Holzhauer, the frighteningly talented “Jeopardy!” player who has dominated the past 13 games and racked up $942,738, second only to Ken Jennings. In its 35th season, the dinnertime show is suddenly appointment television as Holzhauer has shattered the idea of a typical “Jeopardy!” strategy. He has broken his record for single-game winnings three times; his highest total is $131,137, which he won last week. Holzhauer plays, as Slate put it, “like a cyborg constructed for the express purpose of winning at this ever-popular game.”

Check out this video....

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz...new-jeopardy-records

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yep...if he doesn't pass $1 million tonight...I will be surprised!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet bendable is.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying his run.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy is kinda socially awkward but insanely good at this game. He must have a photographic memory.

I think he has changed the way the game will be played from here on out. Everyone starts at the top (lower money questions) and works their way down. He does the exact opposite and moves across the board to get the most money possible.

I just can’t imagine the person that can beat him.

I think it took Ken Jennings something like 70 wins to get a little over 2 million and this guy will hit 1 million in like 15 wins. Super impressive.

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Great fun. I hope he goes over 2 or 3 million before he falls.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He just surpassed $1M with a $118K win today. Impressive indeed!

The bottom-up strategy has been used before but not as effectively as now.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Absolutely amazing at the width and depth of knowledge he can instantly recall. He’s a wizard.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
If they are smart they will do a one time battle with this guy and Ken Jennings.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun pictures/memes ONLY thread- No Quoting or Discussions!!! for 1000 please.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I bet bendable is.

Riddle me this: Have you ever seen bendable and Mr. Holzhauer in the same room? Hmm...

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable is a pretty smart guy. Grammar and language are not his strong suits. Bendable asks the most interesting and unusual questions on this forum.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Thinking more along the likes of Clark Kent and Superman. Anybody who has 46,000+ posts on the forum is good in my book.

I bet he'd be a blast to hang out with over a weekend.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Been a long time Jeopardy fan.

Wife and I are wondering what's it going to take for this guy to lose. They haven't found a category that baffles him; at most he'll miss a question.

If they make the questions harder, it'll be harder as well for the two other contestants. They're going to have to match him with two players who are experts in some esoteric fields then put those as the answers.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, Thinking more along the likes of Clark Kent and Superman. Anybody who has 46,000+ posts on the forum is good in my book.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They removed the phone booths in Iowa, so that has presented a problem.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
While Jennings and Chu and the other big champs played against the other players by choosing random spots on the board, this guy simply plays the numbers. In the Jeopardy round he starts with the high dollar spaces to have as much money for the daily double as possible. Then in Double Jeopardy he aims for the middle because he's aiming for the daily doubles.

He's changing the way the game is played. This could have unintended consequences and may cause a rules change.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes , it's pretty fascinating.
I wish they would show a split screen of the other players faces, as he answer's

I'd would be all

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or the viewers at home with their stupid incorrect guesses.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
First time in eons that I tuned into the show. Damn he is good. That said at least I got Ferrari Testarossa when he didn't. Won't comment on all the ones he got that had me scratching my head. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ken Jennings was impressive but I think this guy would kill him. There is some luck in this game however with hitting the daily doubles and also what the categories are.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post