SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody watching Jeopardy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody watching Jeopardy? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
How to stop James: 1. Find two players really fast on the button. 2. Serve up Celebrity Jeopardy questions.

They started that last week. It finally worked.

Not. Impressed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There goes the ratings. Bummer

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It was fun watching him win.

Congrats to James Holzhauer, you had a great run.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
She had him...but he didn't seem to be on his game tonight IMHO.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking he threw it today.

Back when he had 'only' $800,000 or so he said his objective was to out score Jennings at the 2.5 mark. Heck of a run though.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It sure looked like he wasn't interested...such a low final wager.

Makes me wonder if he threw it...

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one is going to throw away $78,000 a day. Just a perfect storm.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Dale:
It sure looked like he wasn't interested...such a low final wager.

Makes me wonder if he threw it...

His final wager was a good one- she would have beaten him even if he had bet it all. His only chance at that point was if she got it wrong.

I agree that the fix was in- questions were much easier than normal. And they still needed him to have the bad luck to only get a double jeopardy question before he had accumulated any cash.

Posts: 3436 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
His final wager was a good one- she would have beaten him even if he had bet it all. His only chance at that point was if she got it wrong.

A fact he got completely as a guy who works the math angles for a living.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I think he lost because of one piece of bad luck - he hit the first daily double on the first question, so he could only bet 1,000.

Had he already amassed a few grand, he would have had 6-8 grand after that first DD, and it'd be a totally different game.

All three ops were quick on the buzzer too, and went with his strategy to find the DD, rather than to head back to the top of the board. Good for them.

It was fun to watch, because Jeopardy! became more than just about the answers. It became about strategy, and the competition was taken to another level.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And wait for him to hit the Tournament of Champions!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
That guy was amazing, but it was inevitable he would eventually lose at some point.

He really changed the way that game will be played from now on. I could tell people would lose to him when they got lucky and answered a question, but then went back to trying to work the categories from the top down. Or, they got a daily double but bet really timidly.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A couple up you think “the fix was in?!?” The show is enjoying record ratings, people (like me) who haven’t watched the show in years are watching and you think they want to knock him off and end the ride? Huh

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
A couple up you think “the fix was in?!?” The show is enjoying record ratings, people (like me) who haven’t watched the show in years are watching and you think they want to knock him off and end the ride? Huh

If you had been watching the show all along, you'd have recognized the difficulty level over the last week or so more resembled Celebrity or High School Jeopardy than the usual game. My wife and I both noticed it last week. It was subtle, but it was there.

It was only a matter of time before they found a couple contestants who were as quick, or quicker on the trigger than James.

So, yeah: I think they deliberately knocked him off.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
I think the fix was in as well. While the show had a surge in ratings, there was the possibility James would ultimately be disliked for the exact thing he was admired for - changing the way the game was played. The show’s legacy is more important than just one contestant, particularly with Alex in poor health. IMHO that’s what Jeopardy!’s producers were most concerned about and the show’s desired continuity was in their decision to bump James off.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she must have been some kind of button wizard

those two challengers against a lot of winners would be a considerable challenge.

no questions missed in the 1st round and only one question missed in the 2nd round Eek

I would kinda like to see what the average daily winnings were in 1968 , was it $900.00 $1,500 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are showing very old shows now.

They are every bit as entertaining as the very recent shows

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I too am enjoying these reruns.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My wife and I couldn't believe how different Brad Rutter looks from his Jeopardy GOAT appearance.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they made it a lot tougher back in the old days