SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody watching Jeopardy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody watching Jeopardy? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
did i mention that I got 12 out of 12 questions correct on the on line Jeopardy website today?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
He didn't have the luck with finding the daily doubles last night but his opponent did. He barely won but he still won.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
They will find a plan/reason to blow him out, eventually.

One can only play the game so long.

Perhaps. I have not watched his performance, but others have said he is a little on the quirky side, which is to be expected. I am wondering whether a category having to do with esoteric social conventions would stump him. You know, something along the lines of when it is permissible to wear white. High society rules.

Do you think that he is being analyzed by Jeopardy actuaries for weak areas in his knowledge base? He is killing their budget (but driving up viewership and that might equal cash — not sure how that works) and at some point you’d think they would create categories that he is weak in at the same time put in contestants who screened well in those same categories to give him competitive matches.

The guy also possesses remarkable recall and perfect “signaling device” timing, so it will be very tough to beat him regardless. He’s great to watch.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^^I don't believe they actively try to stop a winning streak. If they did, it would make Ken Jennings 74 game streak even more impressive. Jeopardy will be paying out money every game regardless who wins.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
He might have a photographic memory. Everything he studies, he remembers. Quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^^^^I don't believe they actively try to stop a winning streak. If they did, it would make Ken Jennings 74 game streak even more impressive. Jeopardy will be paying out money every game regardless who wins.

That makes sense, but he is winning so much more money per game than average and much more than Jennings won per game. If all of their revenue is from advertising than the viewership would need to be off the charts to afford to keep him winning.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
He might have a photographic memory

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There is no such thing. Some people have better memories than others. There is a thing called Eidetic Imagery, where one continues to see a picture and all its details in their minds eye. They test for this by showing a complex painting for a few seconds with lots of detail and then ask questions about the picture. Look it up.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Backlash against Jeopardy! winner reveals Democrats hate winners (and number-crunchers)

If anyone wants to see what is wrong with journalists' and other Democrats' thought processes, they should read Charles Lane's (another genius from theWashington Post) writing about the Jeopardy! champion. He thinks it is terrible that James Holzhauer seems to be much smarter than his opponents (it should be noted that he won by only $18 on Monday) and calls him a menace. It is just so unfair.

Heaven forbid that Holzhauer plays by the same rules as everyone else but seem to be a better player and smarter. Lane complains that we pay too much attention to numbers now. I hope the Washington Post doesn't keep track of its circulation and that it doesn't charge advertisers based on number of papers sold. I also hope Lane doesn't make more than other journalists. That would be unfair.

I am one of the millions who are amazed and enjoying the winning streak.

Somehow, Lane thinks it is unfair that:

...Like the number crunchers who now rule America's pastime, Holzhauer substitutes cold, calculating odds-maximization for spontaneous play. His idea is to select, and respond correctly to, harder, big-dollar clues on the show's 30-square gameboard first. Then, flush with cash, he searches the finite s…

I wonder why Lane hasn't figured out that the other players have the same opportunity to push their buzzer and answer the questions and run up their cash if they know the answers.

Maybe Lane thinks James needs to redistribute his winnings in the same way Democrats think we should redistribute money. We certainly shouldn't reward success, unless, of course, it is politicians and others surrounding D.C. who get rich off the rest of us. Then that is fair.

...Charles Lane: 'Jeopardy!' has stopped being fun because James Holzhauer is a menace. To the multitudes who have rooted Holzhauer on, I have just one question: Do you not see that this guy is a menace? The only thing more troubling, as a commentary on American culture, than his grinning, relentless, m…

I do understand why Lane and other Democrats don't like people focusing on facts and numbers. It is so much better for Americans to just spew forth regurgitated Democrat talking points. Facts are inconvenient.

We get people like Beto and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez making up stuff about the climate. They say we are all going to die if we don't take trillions from the public, and most of the media just go along. It doesn't matter how many predictions like that have been made in the past, and that they have always been 100% wrong.

Joe Biden can say the middle class is suffering when it is doing better than any year when he and Obama were in charge, and the media will stay silent or support him.

Biden and other Democrats will just repeat over and over again that only the rich benefited from the tax cuts. We certainly don't want number-crunchers to correct these lies to the public.

Colleges can make up whatever rules they want to admit students if they don't pay attention to scores and excellence. Keeping score is so unfair.

It is sad when journalists complain about a person winning too much and call the person a menace just because he is smarter and plays the game better.

Pretty soon, we get a party that thinks it is entitled to confiscate a greater share from successful people who have worked hard and paid taxes throughout their lives for themselves to spend as they like.

The word that is always used is "fair," and of course Democrats are the arbitrators of what the meaning of fair is. They are greedy because they never can get enough for government — but if someone wins too much on Jeopardy!, that is unfair.

I now understand why Democrats hate Trump and consider him a menace. They can't stand the thought that Trump has been running up the economic score in the private sector. Those damn number-crunchers have shown over 3% economic growth over a year now when the Democrats who don't like numbers say that couldn't happen. He has been running up wages after years of stagnation with low inflation when we were told that couldn't happen. The menace has been lifting up minorities and the less educated, and Democrats prefer that those people remain dependent on government and devoted to them.

It is truly a menace to Democrats when they have to lie about the economy to scare the public. They like to say how good the economy was under Obama when he and Biden gave the American people the slowest economic recovery in seventy years due to their stifling policies.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Shades of Atlas Shrugged Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the Jeopardy website says that James will be on again tonight,

but melinda ( the waitress) claims that they are on a break,

I guess I will have to see if its a re run , or a new one

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
the Jeopardy website says that James will be on again tonight,

but melinda ( the waitress) claims that they are on a break,

I guess I will have to see if its a re run , or a new one

I just checked. It's a new episode.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
They took a break for the teachers tournament. In reality probably just a couple of days.

Posts: 5696 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The past 2 weeks have been the teachers tournament and regular programming is to start today - Monday.

Prayers for Mr. Trebek. He's a wizard.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Well, he picked up right where he left off...

Posts: 1442 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he keeps going and going and going and going

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
he keeps going and going and going and going

Why wouldn't anyone want to keep the money flowin'? Smile

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was averaging $78k per episode and the previous single game high was $77k so he’s killing it. Ratings are off the chart though so I wonder if they are able to raise per add pricing. I know Alex has to be happy, especially if this is his swan song year.

quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

That makes sense, but he is winning so much more money per game than average and much more than Jennings won per game. If all of their revenue is from advertising than the viewership would need to be off the charts to afford to keep him winning.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

did i mention that I got 12 out of 12 questions correct on the on line Jeopardy website today?
I got 11 / 12 today. I actually had the correct answer for the 12th one, but I took too long and timed out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate when that happens Big Grin

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Whoops. She had it by a dollar even in the best situation.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post