SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baltimore prepares for protests (Freddie Gray case) Update: 4th Circuit Appeals blocks suit vs Mosby Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great news.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
It's about damn time!

Now it's time for sanctions and penalties against the corrupt prosecutors who conducted this transparent witch hunt.

Oh yeah, and full back pay and restitution for the officers who were attacked by the city they serve.

And while we are at it, forcing the 'family' to give back the unwarranted 6 million plus 'settlement'.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Prosecutors have dropped ALL charges against ALL remaining officers....charges against Officers Miller, Porter and White in #FreddieGray case just DROPPED. Other three officers acquitted. NO convictions.

In professional boxing, how many times can you get pounded in the face before you throw in the towel?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
So will these officers receive any back pay, have their records expunged for being arrested, etc? Will they be allowed to police again in Baltimore? (not that would want to there).

I hope their legal suits take down Mosby and the corrupt Baltimore city government.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Thats a start. Now I want to see everyone who had a hand in trying the officers fired, disbarred, and dishonored for all time.

This includes the medical examiner.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Resign. Today. This morning. Within the hour. Resign. Mad

Posts: 107584 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
more detail

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20160727-story.html

Prosecutors dropped all remaining charges against three Baltimore police officers accused in the arrest and death of Freddie Gray in a downtown courtroom on Wednesday morning

The startling move was an apparent acknowledgement of the unlikelihood of a conviction following the acquittals of three other officers on similar and more serious charges by Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams, who was expected to preside over the remaining trials as well.

It also means the office of Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby will secure no convictions in the case after more than a year of dogged fighting, against increasingly heavy odds, to hold someone criminally accountable in Gray's death.

With Wednesday's decision, the gag order is now lifted

In clearing Nero, Goodson and Rice, Williams had repeatedly said that prosecutors presented little or no evidence to support their broader theory in the case – that the officers acted unreasonably, and willfully disregarded their training and general orders, when they decided not to secure Gray in a seat belt, and that the decision directly led to his death.

All of the officers had pleaded not guilty. Their attorneys have said they acted reasonably and professionally, and that Gray's death was the result of a tragic accident.

The decision Wednesday to drop all charges came during what was expected to be a contentious hearing surrounding the prosecution's ability to proceed with Miller's trial without using anything he said on the witness stand in Nero's trial against him.

Miller's defense attorneys had argued that in order to do so, the prosecutors who argued in Nero's trial and the special "clean team" of prosecutors assigned to argue in Miller's trial without knowledge of his previous testimony should have to take the stand.

Catherine Flynn, one of Miller's attorney, also suggested that Schatzow and Deputy State's Attorney Janice Bledsoe, who argued Nero's case, had inappropriately remained involved in Miller's case. Flynn had subpoenaed Schatzow and Bledsoe , as well as Assistant State's Attorneys Lisa Phelps and Sarah David, who were assigned to the clean team.

Having dropped the charges, prosecutors avoid taking the stand.

The defense really took it to the prosecutors

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Someone should offer the option of a bottle of Ripple and a revolver with a single dud cartridge.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
The officers are only done with criminal charges and is the norm, there are internal policy and procedure investigations that are done. You can be free of criminal liability but still deemed to have run afoul of internal standards.

The criminal is over, the civil against the city resolved some time ago and all that's left is internal.

Criminal charges should never been filed and the mayor and AG are just there to appease thugs.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That statement works only when honorable people are involved,which in this case people of honor are in very short supply. If honorable people were involved, there wouldn't have been a prosecution effort to begin with.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"Sooner or later, we must all sit down for a banquet of consequences."

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kadin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
The officers are only done with criminal charges and is the norm, there are internal policy and procedure investigations that are done. You can be free of criminal liability but still deemed to have run afoul of internal standards.

The criminal is over, the civil against the city resolved some time ago and all that's left is internal.

Criminal charges should never been filed and the mayor and AG are just there to appease thugs.

But this is not really legal jeopardy, correct? They could face suspensions or demotions or firing, but that's it?

I don't know why the 6 cops would hang around for that, now that the legal cases are over my shit would be packed and enroute to another state. I can't imagine they'd have much trouble finding a new job, and I sure as hell wouldn't continue working for that city after being thrown under the bus in the name of placating the thugs and criminals in that city (including those that run the city).

Posts: 1848 | Location: Carrollton, TX | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Special kudos to Judge Barry Williams.

I posted early on in this thread that the prosecutors had shopped this case and could not have found a judge with a more favorable background to hear this case. Trial attorney in the civil rights division of the U.S. Department of Justice, 1997-2002. Special litigation counsel for the civil rights division of the U.S. Justice Department, 2002-2005.

He proved that there are still SOME people in the system with integrity who refuse to go along with the mob and actually do their job.

The director of the FBI could learn from this guy.

Kudos Judge Williams.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having dropped the charges, prosecutors avoid taking the stand.

And the reality of the situation sets in....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:
quote:

But this is not really legal jeopardy, correct? They could face suspensions or demotions or firing, but that's it?

I don't know why the 6 cops would hang around for that, now that the legal cases are over my shit would be packed and enroute to another state. I can't imagine they'd have much trouble finding a new job, and I sure as hell wouldn't continue working for that city after being thrown under the bus in the name of placating the thugs and criminals in that city (including those that run the city).

"Jeopardy" attaches to the ones who were tried, not to those as to whom the charges were dismissed. Those could be brought again, in theory anyway.

Civil cases against the officers could be pursued, internal affairs can still "investigate" and actually, the DOJ could pursue civil rights charges criminally.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kadin:
quote:

No jail time comes from internal so it will be letters of reprimand, suspension with or without pay, training or release from the PD. Officers will probably file work comp cases against the city and there will be a settlement.

The cops will never work in the city again and likely don't want to even if cleared internally.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Civil cases against the officers could be pursued, internal affairs can still "investigate" and actually, the DOJ could pursue civil rights charges criminally.

Could they be that stupid to push a bad position? Doubt it. what will come next is the civils cases from those charged in this case. The Prosecutor will be dealing with them for years to come unless her and the city can make a deal.

Work in the city again? I wouldn't want to after the treatment they received. but they will either retire or move on to some better area.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post