SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is Tesla Motors a current-day Enron?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Tesla Motors a current-day Enron? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They are toys for rich, guilty people.

Not for us working guys.

I have a few friends with Tesla's and while they make good money they aren't exactly feeling guilty about anything. They just love shit that goes super duper fast very quickly.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Tesla Motors is a battery company that makes automobiles.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If you consider buying a stock selling for ~10 times book value, that has never shown a profit in its history, you had better hope that there is a LOT of potential in its business and that it is realized.

You should notice, and consider the ramifications of the circumstance, that I did not use the term "invest" in the above paragraph.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EmpireState:
Was discussing this with a buddy. I think Tesla has major issues. Friend says I dont understand expanding business. My point was that at some point they are going to need to turn the corner and start making some serious money.

It's called the "hockey stick" forecast. "Our profits and cashflow are going downhill, but any minute they will do a 90 degree upturn, and the sky's the limit". Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:

Not for us working guys.

I have a few friends with Tesla's and while they make good money they aren't exactly feeling guilty about anything. They just love shit that goes super duper fast very quickly.

Yes but only for about 80 miles with your right foot down.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not for us working guys.

The Model 3 starts at $35k. And are presold through the end of next year, I understand.

They are amazing technology demos. Great city commute cars. I encourage people to buy them, drops gas demand even further.

Seriously, I lean more toward the battery company idea.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:
quote:

Not for us working guys.

The Model 3 starts at $35k. And are presold through the end of next year, I understand.

They are amazing technology demos. Great city commute cars. I encourage people to buy them, drops gas demand even further.

Seriously, I lean more toward the battery company idea.

Get back to me after they've fulfilled those orders and their cars have had a year or so to iron our the kinks.

Didn't they recently do a "whoopsie" about their promise to let people recharge at their charging stations for free?

I have a brother who has prepaid for one. I'll keep my money.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
When people call them "electric" or 'battery powered" cars, I correct them and say that they are coal powered or natural gas powered cars.

I also think it's a mistake to think of tesla as a car company. It is more appropriate to call them a battery company or a renewable energy storage company. The cars are just goods that allow them to sell batteries. That's also why I think they did the Solar City deal. It will increase their ability to place large capacity batteries in the market.

So what about us that drive battery powered cars charged with solar?
I'd be the guy arguing with you. Blanket statements end up in the bin.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Personally if I was going to go electric I would go Fisker Karma. They can be foud now with super low miles in the $45k range. The support is non-existence but I just don't think I've seen a sexier 4 door.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I'm long, Exxon Mobil.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally if I was going to go electric I would go Fisker Karma. They can be foud now with super low miles in the $45k range. The support is non-existence but I just don't think I've seen a sexier 4 door.
Yes to the Karma, but make mine a VLF Destino.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
I think the true question is do they have enough of a first mover advantage (ala Facebook, google, Amazon, clear leader in a new space) or do they lack staying power and are simply the first to a fad that will see many.

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
From everything I've read, Tesla is leveraged to the max and incapable (at least at present) of accessing any addition debt capital. The Solar City acquisition and SpaceX program has really put a strangle hold on the cash they did have. I think JALLEN's post is a good cautionary tale about owning Tesla stock.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Yes to the Karma, but make mine a VLF Destino.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/86IPSVTH7TU" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Yes they are awesome but for $220k+ I could buy a Z06, a Porsche Panarama, and a Fisker Karma with enough left over for insurance.

Somebody needs to resurrect the Fisker Sunset and put a Vette engine in that!

Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
I tested the Tesla 90D and it was pretty bad ass, but for that kind of cash, I'd rather get a GTR.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Whether the automobile part of the company succeeds or not isn't as important.

They could sell batteries to other auto manufacturers. That would jibe with the whole point of Musk's idea about converting from gasoline to electric, too.

We need more solar generated electricity and we need more decentralization of the power grid, too.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I wonder if the environmentalists will ever figure out that electricity doesn't come from the sun. Most anyway.
Coal, natural gas, nukes, and yes a tiny bit is solar, but most is traditionally generated by people Al Gore claims are trying to end the world.
Then when you figure the environmental issues caused by the manufacture and eventual disposal of the batteries they are much less appealing.

Natural gas has overtaken coal since I last checked, but the major sources of electricity are still derived from fossil fuels: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Musk Bonus

"Back in 2012, Tesla CEO Elon Musk signed an agreement with the company that will see him awarded up to 5.27 million stock options (priced at $31.17 a share) following the achievement of various performance goals outlined in the agreement.

While it was expected by many Tesla observers that these goals would be (eventually) achieved, the speed at which the marks have been hit is perhaps a bit surprising to some. Despite the company’s image as being overly optimistic as far as timelines go, things do seem to be improving in that regard — and, most importantly, Model 3 development is roughly right on target."

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think JALLEN's post is a good cautionary tale about owning Tesla stock.

PE Ratio (TTM) -66.43
EPS (TTM) -4.77

What could possibly go wrong?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current Tesla FACTS from today's WSJ:

= shares down 10% this week

= Volvo announces it will make ALL cars hybrid or electric by 2019

= Tesla has produced more vehicles than it has sold for last 6 QTRs

= in 2016 Tesla promised 100K Models 3s in 2017; they will miss that promise by far making only 100 in AUG and 1,500 in SEP.

= predicted to earn profit by 2020

= stock is still up this year, trading at 28x 2020 earnings forecast Eek

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post