SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
I thought he said clerked for the Justice he replaced.

Yes, he did say that.

Hmmm. I guess he misunderstood what I heard.

Big Grin

Please, feel free to understood us what we misheard Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.realclearinvestiga...it_door_account.html

Forgive me if this has been posted, I’m too busy to check every post or page.
Interesting, though. The real purpose of the second door.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Here is the unhinged leftist who Tweeted-

quote:
“So whose going to take one for the team and kill Kavanaugh?”

"Samantha Ness has been identified as the woman who wrote a tweet that referred to killing Brett Kavanaugh. Ness, an employee at the Alliance Education Center in the Rosemount School District. Though her tweets have since been deleted, a web cache of her Twitter account reveals that she tweeted on Saturday (following Kavanaugh’s Senate vote), “So whose going to take one for the team and kill Kavanaugh?”

Ness is a public school teacher in Minnesota. She has deleted her social media trail, but screenshots abound.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/10/samantha-ness/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I try to keep things on an even keel, absorbing the vagaries of fortune with stoic fortitude, but I have to admit I am as tickled and happy as can be to watch the swearing in tonight. I was beginning to think I would not live to see it.

Right there in the East Room, with so much history, in the presence of the entire Supreme Court, Republican leadership of the Congress and many distinguished onlookers, and on national TV the President gave it to those God Damned Commies with both barrels!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

quote:

"Samantha Ness has been identified as the woman who wrote a tweet that referred to killing Brett Kavanaugh. Ness, an employee at the Alliance Education Center in the Rosemount School District. Though her tweets have since been deleted, a web cache of her Twitter account reveals that she tweeted on Saturday (following Kavanaugh’s Senate vote), “So whose going to take one for the team and kill Kavanaugh?”

Ness is a public school teacher in Minnesota. She has deleted her social media trail, but screenshots abound.

Minnesota? This should get her tenure and a promotion.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I wish they'd cut it out with the quota tallies; X number of women, X number of blacks. Roll Eyes

Kavanaugh's former clerks were a very diverse bunch. In reality, he was miles ahead of RBG already, since she's had a single Black clerk in her entire 38-year career, and he's had a few. Given everything I know about Justice Kavanaugh, I am sure the diversity of his chambers is simply the natural result of hiring the best candidates (from Harvard or Yale). OTOH, RBG supports affirmative action because she earnestly believes minority students need it. It makes all the sense in the world that she wouldn't hire clerks that she believes wouldn't even be there but for quotas and special exceptions. Just more proof of liberal racism.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not his hiring practices. It's the way a tally is being kept by the press.

"Let's go to the big board..."

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/lCPkkTTC47o

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gutfeld annoys me a lot but every once in a while, he gets it just right.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I try to keep things on an even keel, absorbing the vagaries of fortune with stoic fortitude, but I have to admit I am as tickled and happy as can be to watch the swearing in tonight. I was beginning to think I would not live to see it.

Right there in the East Room, with so much history, in the presence of the entire Supreme Court, Republican leadership of the Congress and many distinguished onlookers, and on national TV the President gave it to those God Damned Commies with both barrels!

Agreed, sir.

Watched it all on OAN and it was wonderful Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
I keep hearing the Dims talking point today..... They are calling today's swearing in an "end zone celebration".

Nope, that would have been if they had marched the justices and Kavanaugh onto the Senate floor with the president for an immediate swearing in right after the vote on Saturday.

I have to admit I was almost hoping for that.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Elections have consequences, or so I hear.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
RBG didn’t look to good there, don’t know if she lasts 6 more months, can’t wait to see what’s in the playbook for the next one.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nancy Pelosi talking about some of their smear tactics:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, speaking of evil old crones that really, really need to kick...

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Nancy Pelosi talking about some of their smear tactics:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RxXUgoIQp2k" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
In all fairness, Pelosi was claiming this was a Republican tactic, not "admitting" that Democrats do it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-ch...elosi-wrap-up-smear/

The linked video edits out the part where she attributes the tactic to Republicans.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
RBG didn’t look to good there, don’t know if she lasts 6 more months, can’t wait to see what’s in the playbook for the next one.

Came across this: "Smart Call: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Has Been Dead On The Supreme Court Bench For 3 Months, But Democrats Are Febrezing Her Every Day In Hopes That No One Notices"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Interesting POV by Prof. Jonathan Turley on Fox this morning. He suggested there ought to be 19 SCOTUS justices to dilute the power of each one and take some of the craziness out of the confirmation battles. It would be a mess to implement, but it probably would make things run a lot more smoothly once up and running. The way it is now, it's getting near civil war with each nomination, and there could be two more in pretty short order.

I thought I remembered Jonathan Turley as being a pretty sharp guy, but this idea is nuts. I don’t think much more of the 18 year term limit panacea, as life is not as simple as some would like to think. Some justices will die during their terms, some Presidents will get to nominate more folks.

Even if Ben Sasse is a never-Trumper, he made a lot of sense talking about how we need to have the court *not* legislating and force legislators to get off their asses and legislate. The purpose of the legislature is to make the laws, not hide from making hard decisions to keep their sweet gig going. Maybe we should make the gig much less sweet so they aren’t so desperate to hang on to it?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:

quote:

I hope she is not an English teacher. "whose"?

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post